Dish guide sucks!

fishman316

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
michigan
Our son watches adam ruins everything and storage wars. Adam is new right now on trutv but the guide says a rerun from last year. Same thing with storage wars tomorrow night at 10pm and 1030pm on A&E. They are advertising those as new episodes. Dish guide says reruns. Then my wife noticed dr pol on nat geo wild this Saturday at 9pm is showing in the guide as a rerun even though they are advertising it as the season premier.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Here's the way I do it. If I haven't seen it before, I watch it. At least, I watch it until I don't like it or something else comes on I like better. Sometimes, I record something to watch later. Now, if I have seen it before, I don't watch it. Of course, sometimes I will watch something I've seen before, if I really like it.

That's the way I do it. I don't care if they call it a rerun or a premier or whatever. I decide for myself if I want to watch it. That's just the way I do it.

Here's the way I do it. If I haven't seen it before, I watch it. At least, I watch it until I don't like it or something else comes on I like better. Sometimes, I record something to watch later. Now, if I have seen it before, I don't watch it. Of course, sometimes I will watch something I've seen before, if I really like it.

That's the way I do it. I don't care if they call it a rerun or a premier or whatever. I decide for myself if I want to watch it. That's just the way I do it.
Kind of defeats the purpose of a DVR?

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: wormil and DWS44
My wife watches Teen Mom OG. For whatever reason, we can’t get that timer to work correctly. Even after deleting the timer and recreating it, after a week or so, it’s abandoned and no episodes appear... even repeat episodes. It’s like Rovi changes the name of the program every week, requiring a new timer, just to mess with my wife.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

However, for those that record things on DVRs based on timers, and have said timers set to record "Only New" episodes, then the guide data being incorrect causes programs to not record when they should have. ;)

As for the screwy guide data, I watch a lot of programming on the MotorTrend Network (formerly Velocity Channel). Since the re-branding from Velocity to MotorTrend, several of the regular programs are showing incorrect episode numbers and incorrect or missing original air dates. Not sure if due to the changeover, or just a coincidence. Annoying either way.

That's Rovi's guide data. It's not even right on my Tivo, and they ARE TIVO (corporation, they bought it and took the name) now! Better get used to it, because they SUCK at providing guide data, but Dish made a deal with the devil and is stuck with them.

That's Rovi's guide data. It's not even right on my Tivo, and they ARE TIVO (corporation, they bought it and took the name) now! Better get used to it, because they SUCK at providing guide data, but Dish made a deal with the devil and is stuck with them.

Dish and almost everyone else. At least their local channel guide data seems pretty accurate, which is mostly what I watch on Dish. I wonder who the OTT providers are using for guide data and whether it is any better?

Dish and almost everyone else. At least their local channel guide data seems pretty accurate, which is mostly what I watch on Dish. I wonder who the OTT providers are using for guide data and whether it is any better?

Well in Rovi's defense (though it hurts me to defend them) it's almost always JUST the first two weeks of a new year that their guide data is typically the worst of the year, and you need to babysit it.

Once we get through that few weeks of their tweaking, the rest of the year is usually pretty good.

Get yourself a membership at the Tivo forums, and subscribe to this forum, and what happens with Tivo's WILL quite likely be the same issues for Dish dvr's: Season Pass Alerts

Reactions: osu1991 and ncted
Recorded Homestead Rescue "Storm Shelter Showdown" a few days ago. It was listed as new. I looked in my timers is now shows S3 Ep 7 first aired 12/27/2017. My wife also complained that her shows on Bravo are listed as new but are reruns.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I know it's a hassle when a show is recorded as 'New' when it's a rerun but if the problem was the other way around and the show was really 'New' but was marked as 'Rerun' and not recorded it would be much worse.

I agree. Better to have to record "all including reruns" and do some deleting, then to have a new episode fail to record. I'll be first to admit I could NEVER do without a dvr anymore, and I'm still old-school enough that I find it a bit hard to switch over to "on-demand" sort of stuff. I'm a linear sort of guy, LOL. Though I'm slowing getting better towards that. Then again, I have a 3TB drive in my Tivo, and it can hold several YEARS of programs, including HD stuff.

I know it's a hassle when a show is recorded as 'New' when it's a rerun but if the problem was the other way around and the show was really 'New' but was marked as 'Rerun' and not recorded it would be much worse.

I spent three months chasing a re-airing of a season finale of a show last season, because that happened and caused the DVR to skip the original airing and subsequent re-airings until I finally caught it in the schedule and restored the timer.

Better to have to record "all including reruns" and do some deleting, then to have a new episode fail to record.

They way some channels love to do almost daily marathons of some programs, though, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. You do "Only New" and miss the ones that get labeled incorrectly. You do "All Episodes", and then you either fill up the DVR with the show, or you limit it to say 20 recordings, and by the time you go to watch the new episode, you find its been deleted because there were 30 rerun airings over the last two days. :confused:

Reactions: joegr
Marathons is why I stopped watching most things on Discovery, A&E and History to name a few, which has now led to me not really wanting subscription tv anymore. The excessive commercials and all day marathon repeats are bad enough. Now they make slight name changes to the titles of shows to make dvrs pickup more recordings for an extra 3 mins of not seen footage, making it nearly impossible to find what are actually new episodes.

They also have these extensive libraries of past shows but all they can do is program an 6-8hr loop of the same show to run a couple times a day and then throw in some paid programming to fill out the schedule. Then want a rate increase every year. :mad:

Reactions: dare2be and ncted
I remember when marathons were a special event. Like ghost hunters running all New Year’s weekend. Or an X-Files marathon around some holiday. Now they happen daily on almost every cable channel. Is cable television lacking new content so bad that they have air every episode of this season and leading up to this weeks newest episode?

I remember when marathons were a special event. Like ghost hunters running all New Year’s weekend. Or an X-Files marathon around some holiday. Now they happen daily on almost every cable channel. Is cable television lacking new content so bad that they have air every episode of this season and leading up to this weeks newest episode?
At least SYFY channel keeps the "Twilight Zone" marathon going around new years.

Reactions: NYDutch and HipKat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts