DISH Hardware = PC?

bdemz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Why does DISH have all of these problems with their hardware. The receivers are basically PC's with a sat tuner installed.

Most of the users in these forums have turned their PC's into DVR's anyway maybe DISH should employee them.

PC operating systems are buggy too, as are Tivos. People spend too much time complaining, usually because they subscribe to the grass is greener theory.

I've had Tivo, and the Dish 510, and all in all, I've enjoyed the 510 better. For one, it's faster (I spent half my life waiting for Tivo to process whatever command I gave it)

Spend less time complaining. Your life will be a lot happier.

Having worked on many different kinds of systems over the last 30+ years, I kinda have a feel for what's great, what's reasonable, and what's crap.

Some of the Dish hardware is pretty good, the rest is adequate at best.

Some of the Dish software is adequate, the rest is pure crap.

If all the security measures werent needed to keep people from stealing content, it would probably be a simple process and there wouldn't be all of the software/hardware glitches.

Mark_AR said:
If all the security measures werent needed to keep people from stealing content, it would probably be a simple process and there wouldn't be all of the software/hardware glitches.
I don't think that has anything to do with it. The downloaded stream is encrypted, and is stored that way on the HDD.

Even if some other kind of encryption were occurring it would be inside the file system primitives, and a relatively simple piece of functionality (been there, done that).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts