Dish has a major problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Down south, us "Good ole Boys" normally just take you out in the woods for while... :smug

Scott Greczkowski said:
Once again I would like to ask the the discussion be things Dish can do to fix their problem and NOT how people hack the signal.

Thanks for your understanding. :D

That's kind of hard to do, because in order to stop the problem you actually do have to know how the problem occurs in the first place.

That is why most network security consultants for major corporations actually go to school to learn how to hack. So they can plug the holes.

By the way hooking the receiver up to the internet is the worse idea I have heard yet. I can't tell you why because the post would be deleted.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Once again I would like to ask the the discussion be things Dish can do to fix their problem and NOT how people hack the signal.
I need a little insight into the situation before I can make useful contributions.
In one of my earlier post I had suggested adding cellular link to the hardware but now I realize how ineffective that would be as a solution. The key may be along the lines of new encryption, but having dish reset clients smartcards periodically might also help keep things honest.

How is Dish losing money because of hackers? I understand they're not making money from these hackers, but are they losing money? Would these hackers legitimately sign up for service if it couldn't be hacked? My guess is no. I think they would save the most money by not putting so much into trying to stop the hackers. Like a few posters have said before, encryption will always be cracked. It's a never ending battle. So why use resources trying to stop the hackers instead of using those resources to enhance the experience of the legitimate customers?

Every receiver should come with container of C4 (or Naquada ;)) explosive and a detonator. A landline or Ethernet connection should also be required. If you open the receiver, or if the DBS or cable provider issues a checksum challenge to your receiver and receives back the wrong response, if you drop the receiver or bump the audio rack with the vacuum or what not, the whole house goes up in flames and you and/or your wife and/or your children and/or your pets wind up in many, many small pieces.

Honestly at this point in life, I think that is where whe need to go to keep these clowns honest. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.