DISH has dropped my NBC affiliate (WTHR)...options?

BennyT

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Indiana
Hey guys, I'm a long time lurker. Anyways, as most of you know DISH has dropped WTHR which is my local NBC affiliate. I badly want to watch golf and football on NBC this weekend. Aside from moving (I already have) and getting an antenna, is there anything I can do to get NBC from somewhere. Could a get a national feed from NY or LA?

Could a get a national feed from NY or LA?

unfortunately not. Dish can only give you a imported station if there is no affiliate in that market. Since you have one (even though its been pulled) they can't import one
You can "move" or use an antenna. But note the antenna guide wont show

unfortunately not. Dish can only give you a imported station if there is no affiliate in that market. Since you have one (even though its been pulled) they can't import one
You can "move" or use an antenna. But note the antenna guide wont show

If you use an antenna ready receiver (ie, my 211k has a box in the back), it still wouldn't show on the guide? That's kinda cold by Dish. ;)

If you use an antenna ready receiver (ie, my 211k has a box in the back), it still wouldn't show on the guide? That's kinda cold by Dish. ;)

it will show in the guide and you will be able to tune to it. However since the OTA guide is attached to the satellite guide info for that channel you will have to set manual timers to record stuff

Iceberg said:
it will show in the guide and you will be able to tune to it. However since the OTA guide is attached to the satellite guide info for that channel you will have to set manual timers to record stuff

Well I checked and I couldn't get an NBC affiliate on antenna if I wanted to.

I was able to see multicasts in my guide when I had an antenna on the 211k, so I would have assumed even a dispute-driven drop would have kept the guide. That is, even though the multicasts weren't part of my package, Dish did give me guide information. I understand how dispute-driven drops aren't the same animal, however. And boy did Dish lay into AMC, so not sure why I expected different here.

That's too bad. Wonder if the multicasts from that station stay on the guide?

Wow. Apartment or hills? The guy who put my dish on said that I could probably pick up a station from 90 miles away if I bought the right antenna. That stinks.
That's BS. If that was true I should be able to pick up Terra Haute or Lafayette with my high antenna...which I can't.

Go to TVFOOL.com and plug in your info. You will get a map of all stations in your region and what type of antenna you would need to pick them up. We my rooftop antenna, a booster and rotor I have no problem receiving ota from 60 miles away.

Go to TVFOOL.com and plug in your info. You will get a map of all stations in your region and what type of antenna you would need to pick them up. We my rooftop antenna, a booster and rotor I have no problem receiving ota from 60 miles away.

60 miles maybe...90, no way...from Indy

I am in Indianapolis and use Dayton Locals. I could also use Columbus, Cleveland, Erie, Youngstown. These only work Indianapolis or east of town. You could also use Fort Wayne, Terre Haute, Champaign, or Saint Louis from 129.

I am in Indianapolis and use Dayton Locals. I could also use Columbus, Cleveland, Erie, Youngstown. These only work Indianapolis or east of town. You could also use Fort Wayne, Terre Haute, Champaign, or Saint Louis from 129.

Do you get these with an Antenna or on your dish somehow? I'm waiting to buy an antenna but it looks like WTHR isn't coming back anytime soon.

Do you get these with an Antenna or on your dish somehow? I'm waiting to buy an antenna but it looks like WTHR isn't coming back anytime soon.

Change your service address to an address in one of these cities. You probably not want to choose Columbus, OH with WBNS CBS off of Charlie too.

Last edited:
Two of my OTAs are 65 and 72 miles away on a VHF high band antenna in the attic, which is combined with a UHF in the attic pointing 90 degrees away. No problems. 90 miles may push it, but you'd need some elevation and the right equipment and topography.

Two of my OTAs are 65 and 72 miles away on a VHF high band antenna in the attic, which is combined with a UHF in the attic pointing 90 degrees away. No problems. 90 miles may push it, but you'd need some elevation and the right equipment and topography.

Yep, we're near the coast, so it's a pretty flat shot from A to B. I think we'd need to get over the trees, but the fellow seemed to think we could do it from the top of the house. /shrug

Tempted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts