Dish HD ... as applied to NHL games

slacker9876

Professional Amatuer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 20, 2004
Spokane, WA
Alright folks, I know someone here knows the answer to this.

Many NHL games are offered in HD. Some on HDNet, some on VS. some on RSN's like Altitude TV (carried by DISH ... HD ?)

Will I be able to get these games on E*? I get some (few) them on D*, Ch.95 but they are sporadic. I plan to subscribe to NHL Center Ice, my provider is undetermined.

Who here has NHLCI and knows what HD Hockey I can expect from DISH?

Thanks!

What channel should I be looking on, would it just be the regular NHLCI channels?

EDIT: I hope you are not talking about CI alone. I know there are 3-7 games a night. But where do I watch the HD Games. That is the real question and DISH could not answer it.

Last edited:
I am interested in this answer also as I will switch from Direct TV if I can receive the San Jose Shark games, many of which are in HD, on Dish. From what I understand from previous chats here and on AVS, Dish will have multiple HD channels available for NHL Center Ice every night. However, I haven't seen any offical announcement by Dish yet that says they will offer regional FSN HD coverage as rumored. I wonder where they will find all the capacity come springtime when you have regional HD broadcasts for NHL, NBA, and MLB.

Jack

I talked with one of the people that answer the CEO email. His thoughts were that just because the RSNs were uploaded doesn't mean they are active for MLB or NHL subscriptions. If they carry games in HD it will probably only be for that home market. But, he also said if they offer a gold package or something like D* does with the NFL then the cost could be credited and you would only have to pay the difference, i.e. I don't think that we can get 40 HD games a week for $120. Any other thoughts are welcomed.

oggusfoo said:
I talked with one of the people that answer the CEO email. His thoughts were that just because the RSNs were uploaded doesn't mean they are active for MLB or NHL subscriptions. If they carry games in HD it will probably only be for that home market. But, he also said if they offer a gold package or something like D* does with the NFL then the cost could be credited and you would only have to pay the difference, i.e. I don't think that we can get 40 HD games a week for $120. Any other thoughts are welcomed.

Yes, NHL CI, and NBA Season Pass will used special mirror channel of the HD RSNs.

Check out my next post after this one.

Here is the same info I posted over at AVS

D* will have one RSN HD game on channel 95 base on what Sports season pass you buy for now due to the RSNs being on spotbeam, E* will have all the HD RSN's available on 61.5 and 129 if so sub to certain sport season passes. You will need both sat locations to get the max HD games due to bandwith issues for now.

Currently on E* it will be NHL channels 387-393 and NBA 394-399. E* will also have games only for OLN-HD on 9463, and NBA TV HD on 9466

http://www.dishchannelchart.com/

I think E* is the only tv company that has the RSNs in HD for sports packages right now. Once D* get the bandwith with the new birds in 2007 maybe they will go the same way. I know Comcast is trying to work on a deal to add the SD RSNs to their lineup but so far no progress.

Yes you can get the RSN HD feeds with CenterIce on 61.5 and 129. If you can and have both locations then you will have the max HD games of 4 to 7 (Depand on how many games are in HD on NBAHD FSNs.

Only 3 or 4 active per TP at a time
NHLHD 387 30 61.5° E*3
NHLHD 388 30 61.5° E*3
NHLHD 389 30 61.5° E*3
NHLHD 390 8 129° E*5
NHLHD 391 8 129° E*5
NHLHD 392 8 129° E*5
NHLHD 393 8 129° E*5

Now what bother me is the HD game are on 61.5 E*3 , what about Rainbow1 at 61.5 it still has plenty on bandwith available why not add some more HD RSNs. I just want my NESNHD for the B's.

I currently have a dish pointed at 110. If I get 2 more dishes and point them at 61.5 and 129 will I be able to get all of the channels? It must be more complicated than that. I just want to get as many HD NHL channels as possible.

Can someone explain how I would be able to get all the channels on 61.5 and 129? Please explain it simply because I really don't know much about this. Thanks.

I had CI last year and we got on average one game a week in HD on the Dish HDPPV channel. Everything else was in SD. By the time the playoffs rolled around, Dish settled their dispute with OLN and we got the playoffs in HD the rest of the way.

This year, I am hopeful that we will get all OLN HD games (usually Monday nights, I think) and at least one additional HD game on the HDPPV channel.

Beyond that, if the RSN HD channels are going to be shown as part of the CI package for local games (as roachxp shows above), then that would be heaven. It would pretty much blow the lid off NHL coverage in HD. We will be swimming in it. :)

Roach, thanks for the info. That is what I was looking for and I appreciate your post! That makes sense and I hope that is what we see.

I have the Dish 1000+, but am pretty sure I do not have access to 61.5, but sheeh ... if I get 2 HD NHL games a night I'll be happy.

jborchel said:
I am interested in this answer also as I will switch from Direct TV if I can receive the San Jose Shark games, many of which are in HD, on Dish. From what I understand from previous chats here and on AVS, Dish will have multiple HD channels available for NHL Center Ice every night. However, I haven't seen any offical announcement by Dish yet that says they will offer regional FSN HD coverage as rumored. I wonder where they will find all the capacity come springtime when you have regional HD broadcasts for NHL, NBA, and MLB.

Jack

Welcome to Satelliteguys you of good taste!

I'm interested in this as well. I am considering adding Dish Network this year just for the chance to see HD games on Center Ice. Comcast is years from offering this. Are these RSNs on-line yet? Any word on if they will be by start of NHL?

Any chance they'll get the Canadian HD feeds from CBC and TSN? I'm guessing that is wishful thinking.

With the NHL just a week away.......does anybody know if the DISH NHL Center Ice schedule has been posted yet ?

I am sure there will be a lot more games in HD this year as compared to last.

beaudot said:
I'm interested in this as well. I am considering adding Dish Network this year just for the chance to see HD games on Center Ice. Comcast is years from offering this. Are these RSNs on-line yet? Any word on if they will be by start of NHL?

Any chance they'll get the Canadian HD feeds from CBC and TSN? I'm guessing that is wishful thinking.

I am brand new to DISH (3 days now) but from what I have read and seen, that HAVE uplinked many RSN's and as far as CBC and TSN, if DirecTV has these dame in HD (they do) I am sure dish will have MORE.

From what RoachXP has posted ... 3-7 HD GAMES A NIGHT! Too bad I cannot get 61.5 ... bummer.

roachxp said:
Currently on E* it will be NHL channels 387-393 and NBA 394-399. E* will also have games only for OLN-HD on 9463, and NBA TV HD on 9466
[/B]

Yes you can get the RSN HD feeds with CenterIce on 61.5 and 129. If you can and have both locations then you will have the max HD games of 4 to 7 (Depand on how many games are in HD on NBAHD FSNs.

Only 3 or 4 active per TP at a time
NHLHD 387 30 61.5° E*3
NHLHD 388 30 61.5° E*3
NHLHD 389 30 61.5° E*3
NHLHD 390 8 129° E*5
NHLHD 391 8 129° E*5
NHLHD 392 8 129° E*5
NHLHD 393 8 129° E*5

Now what bother me is the HD game are on 61.5 E*3 , what about Rainbow1 at 61.5 it still has plenty on bandwith available why not add some more HD RSNs. I just want my NESNHD for the B's.
What bothers me is the lack of info available from Dish.

Some things I would like to know:

1. Are the 61.5 channel broadcasts (387-389) repeated on 129 (in the 390-393 channels) or do I need to get both 61.5 and 129 to get all the available HD breadcasts?

2. If I do need both 61.5 and 129, will Dish install the extra equipment (free) to get all the HD channels offered? After all, it's not my fault they need two satellites for this package. And they shouldn't expect me to pay for additional installation in order to receive the complete offered package. I doubt they will discount the package price if some of it isn't available to me.

Another question -- I have a dish already installed and pointed at athe 61.5 satellite left over from Voom. Can I use the Voom LNB to get the Dish channels? If not, can a Dish LNB be installed on the Voom dish (looks pretty well identical to the Dish 500)? And finally, what type of switch would I need to combine the 110, 119, 129 and 61.5 (3 dishes)?

I think the Center Ice Package would be a great bargain with these HD channels, but there are so many questions unanswered!

If anyone can provide answers to any of these questions, I would be very thankful!

gjh3260 said:
With the NHL just a week away.......does anybody know if the DISH NHL Center Ice schedule has been posted yet ?

I am sure there will be a lot more games in HD this year as compared to last.
The CI package is the same across all providers. The only variance is HD and SD games. All providers offer 1100+ regular season games and 1st & 2nd round playoff "selection." This is an NHL product, not a provider product, so it is not subjective, as is the case with NFL ST on D*.

1. No, you need both for max HD

2. Doubt it, because the CI package are on the main 110-119 slots the HD is just a bonus.

On the Voom dish just switch out the Voom LNB and put a E*dp one and it will work as long as you got an open spot on your switch. DP44 switch gets 4 slots. With your setup you can get a Dish1000+, and 61.5 for a total of 2 dishes.

grb said:
What bothers me is the lack of info available from Dish.

Some things I would like to know:

1. Are the 61.5 channel broadcasts (387-389) repeated on 129 (in the 390-393 channels) or do I need to get both 61.5 and 129 to get all the available HD breadcasts?

2. If I do need both 61.5 and 129, will Dish install the extra equipment (free) to get all the HD channels offered? After all, it's not my fault they need two satellites for this package. And they shouldn't expect me to pay for additional installation in order to receive the complete offered package. I doubt they will discount the package price if some of it isn't available to me.

Another question -- I have a dish already installed and pointed at athe 61.5 satellite left over from Voom. Can I use the Voom LNB to get the Dish channels? If not, can a Dish LNB be installed on the Voom dish (looks pretty well identical to the Dish 500)? And finally, what type of switch would I need to combine the 110, 119, 129 and 61.5 (3 dishes)?

I think the Center Ice Package would be a great bargain with these HD channels, but there are so many questions unanswered!

If anyone can provide answers to any of these questions, I would be very thankful!

When FSN-S-HD was on 61.5, he said they would add a dish because it was an incomplete install for free. In yesterday's report it got moved so I don't know if they will pop another one up just for more HD. Is the Panhandle P.I. channel or Armed Forces Network on 61.5? If so then there's another reason for the install.

Is the 61.5 satelllite lower in the sky, meaning if trees are already near my line of site will I have any chance in seeing both of them?

roachxp said:
1. No, you need both for max HD

2. Doubt it, because the CI package are on the main 110-119 slots the HD is just a bonus.

On the Voom dish just switch out the Voom LNB and put a E*dp one and it will work as long as you got an open spot on your switch. DP44 switch gets 4 slots. With your setup you can get a Dish1000+, and 61.5 for a total of 2 dishes.
Thanks for the info!

I have 2 dishes (500's) for my current set up (110,119 & 129). So with the 61.5 it will be 3. Would my current switch support the added 61.5? I think my current system set up says "DP Twin". I don't want the 1000 because of poor signal strength for 129, so I want the three dish set-up, if possible.

Thanks!

oggusfoo said:
When FSN-S-HD was on 61.5, he said they would add a dish because it was an incomplete install for free. In yesterday's report it got moved so I don't know if they will pop another one up just for more HD. Is the Panhandle P.I. channel or Armed Forces Network on 61.5? If so then there's another reason for the install.

Is the 61.5 satelllite lower in the sky, meaning if trees are already near my line of site will I have any chance in seeing both of them?
Yes, the 61.5 is low and trees can be a problem. I think it is more of a problem in the Northwest, so it depends where you live. I got a decent signal with both Voom and later Dish in the L.A. area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)