Dish HD Distribution to second TV (now and future)

slanted

Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
I'm finally in the market for a new HD TV in the bedroom but I'm a bit torn on if this is the right time.

I have a 622 downstairs feeding my old HD set via componet, while using the second TV option to send SD to my 19" SD set in the bedroom. I actually really like this setup a lot, since I only have one DVR to manage and enjoy pausing a program downstairs and finish watching in the bedroom.

So how far off are we from an HD second TV option or something like Vroom was working towards?

Is there a HD distribution system out there I've missed? (CAT5 or RG6 based)

How bad would SD look on a new HD set in the bedroom if I was to get the TV now and wait on a future distribution system? Any particular TV that would handle SD better?

Thanks

I'm finally in the market for a new HD TV in the bedroom but I'm a bit torn on if this is the right time.

I have a 622 downstairs feeding my old HD set via componet, while using the second TV option to send SD to my 19" SD set in the bedroom. I actually really like this setup a lot, since I only have one DVR to manage and enjoy pausing a program downstairs and finish watching in the bedroom.

So how far off are we from an HD second TV option or something like Vroom was working towards?

Is there a HD distribution system out there I've missed? (CAT5 or RG6 based)

How bad would SD look on a new HD set in the bedroom if I was to get the TV now and wait on a future distribution system? Any particular TV that would handle SD better?

Thanks
The future you are dreaming of (a receiver with two HD outputs) is probably a couple of years away. There never will be RG6 HD distribution. HDMI or Component. If you want HD now, you need to get another 622/722 or a 211 (single tuner).
OR, you can run and HDMI or Component + Audio to your bedroom from your 622 as long as you understand that it will only mirror what is being sent to TV1. You'd also have to set up your TV2 remote to control TV1 (I'm not real clear on how to do that). Someone else will surely know.

The future you are dreaming of (a receiver with two HD outputs) is probably a couple of years away. There never will be RG6 HD distribution. HDMI or Component. If you want HD now, you need to get another 622/722 or a 211 (single tuner).
OR, you can run and HDMI or Component + Audio to your bedroom from your 622 as long as you understand that it will only mirror what is being sent to TV1. You'd also have to set up your TV2 remote to control TV1 (I'm not real clear on how to do that). Someone else will surely know.

If receiver is in single user mode with shared view set to enabled view, tv2 remote will work most of the receiver functions (change channel, setup dvr, view dvr), just not some of the setup options (locks, and favorite guide setups but really not sure exactly which).

Ah, to dream!

So a couple of questions:

TV1 does not have HDMI. TV2 will have HDMI and I assume componet. Can the 622 output both HDMI and componet at the same time?

I've got the place wired with CAT5, so will componet or HDMI distribute over CAT5... homerun config, so we are talking about a total run of up to 100'

Or I guess the alternative is to distribute componet over the CAT5, any success with that?

Or I guess the alternative is to distribute componet over the CAT5, any success with that?
While the up front cost is pretty high, component <-> CAT5 transceivers are available. You would have to move the receiver to the bedroom.

I found a transceiver at svideo.com that offered component video and coaxial digital audio for $80/end. Converting the audio connections will set you back $20/end.

They also offer HDMI transceivers that require two CAT5 cables for a whole lot more money.

I have not tried either of these solutions.

The long HDMI cable looks pretty attractive to me for your situation.

I do this now with just a long HDMI cable.

Cheapest solution and works great. Dish mailed me a second 6.3 remote for free and I leave one in each room.

I see a lot of people pushing those HDMI-CAT5 converters but the value is not there, cheaper to buy another 622!

I do this now with just a long HDMI cable.

Cheapest solution and works great. Dish mailed me a second 6.3 remote for free and I leave one in each room.

I see a lot of people pushing those HDMI-CAT5 converters but the value is not there, cheaper to buy another 622!

I see your point. I'm feeling like an idiot because I don't have a good way of fishing a cable because of the construction and TV location. House is new and I did not put in a conduit to the bedroom.:eek:

The best idea I can come up with is fishing through the AC ducts.... it is that or making holes

Most houses have hollow interior walls (they are not insulated). I have had very good luck using the following, go in the attic and drill a 3/4 to 1" hole in the 2x4 wall plate above where I want the new outlet, cut a hole in the wall where I want the outlet, for a plastic electrical box ( one that has ears to mount in sheetrock), drop the cable down through the wall, pull the cable out of the hole, cut a hole in the back of the electrical box for the wire and install the box in the wall. If you decide to abandon the outlet later, put a blank electrical cover over it.
If you need to go from one wall to a different wall, go up over and down, do both walls as above, get help, drop a pull cable down and tape the cable to it to pull up into the attic.

I see your point. I'm feeling like an idiot because I don't have a good way of fishing a cable because of the construction and TV location. House is new and I did not put in a conduit to the bedroom.:eek:

The best idea I can come up with is fishing through the AC ducts.... it is that or making holes

Thanks for all the great responses. I think the long HDMI cable will work if I get creative. Who knew they could be so long?

If you're building a new house plan a way to fish in new cables as technology changes.

On the Voom front: I really bought into the idea they had of a main DVR/Tuner box with cheaper boxes at the remote TVs. Everything would run over TCP/IP if I remember correctly. What happened? I think you could still do that and respect the HDCP requirements. Too costly?

That design was by another company. Do they still exist?

Something has got to happen. In 2009, TV manufacturers will no longer be obligated to provide an OTA NTSC tuner and might and most likely drop the analog cable tuner.

I have long advocated the "open work wiring method" to allow easy wall fishing of new cabling technoligies. Open work means providing a design to provide easy access to wall cavities to add new wiring.

I was considering buying a smaller HDTV for the bedroom, but since my father didn't want my 31 inch tube, I just moved it into the bedroom. Maybe in a few years if Dish comes up with some duel tuner method that doesn't require fishing HDMI cables, I can think about it then.

If I go ahead anyway, the format should still improve over my tube, and improve DVDs.

I don't know why they can't come up with some box that outputs HDMI or components, and have the receiver use 2 or 3 channels worth to send the data over coax.

On the Voom front: I really bought into the idea they had of a main DVR/Tuner box with cheaper boxes at the remote TVs. Everything would run over TCP/IP if I remember correctly.
I doubt that they could sell TCP/IP to the programmers. Anything that a computer can readily get a hold of is considered a bad thing.

There are a few solutions that use Ethernet cable, but they don't use TCP/IP.

IIRC, AT&T uses some sort of a star network, but I hear it has some serious limitations.

I don't know why they can't come up with some box that outputs HDMI or components, and have the receiver use 2 or 3 channels worth to send the data over coax.
Distant component or HDMI is a hassle. Conventional component is messy with five runs of coax and the fact that you lose digital audio. In-house ATSC modulation has never been an option and probably never will be.

The guy who I had wire my rear speakers told me the trick.

Find the wall you want put the cable in. At the bottom of the wall, directly down from the center line of where you want the box get a long thin drill bit. Drill at a 45 into the floor where the carpet meets the trim.

Go down in the basement and you can them see where you can drill between the joists and dry wall. Its not hard to do and I did HDMI, ethernet, etc with that method.

Monoprice sells the HDMI wall plates, a long cable, and you can get the electrical boxes at HD for .79.

Question, which may pertain to this thread -

If I have a 942 and get a 622 or 722, can I use 722 in single mode & 942 in dual (all HD capable)?

Would this require a second antenna?

Distant component or HDMI is a hassle. Conventional component is messy with five runs of coax and the fact that you lose digital audio. In-house ATSC modulation has never been an option and probably never will be.

Agree about the ATSC modulator. But you can get a 4-channel balun to carry component video plus digital audio over standard 4-pair CAT 5. These baluns are not that expensive ($100 each; you need two). Example: Component Video/Digital Audio Balun - 500050

Agree about the ATSC modulator. But you can get a 4-channel balun to carry component video plus digital audio over standard 4-pair CAT 5. These baluns are not that expensive ($100 each; you need two). Example: Component Video/Digital Audio Balun - 500050

I think I might give this a try since I've wired with CAT6 everywhere. It does not mention limitations of going through patch cords like Gefen's system, but I'm sure that will cut down the distance some.

One thing that I did not realize is that my new set will have an ATSC tuner so getting the locals off the antenna will be a possibility in addition to sharing the 622 with the other TV.

The ATSC modulator would be cool!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)