Dish HD from New England area

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mike316

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
Hi all,

I currently have a D500 system with a 322 receiver. I'm in the New England area and I don't think I can use a D1000 to get 129 (129 just isn't available in this area, correct?)

I'm planning on buying one of the Dish HD receivers (I own all of my equipment), but am wondering what sats I need to add to get all of the HD channels (National HD channels, that is....I'm not worrying about Locals since my OTA reception is perfect).

So, given that scenario, what would Dish normally install so that I can receive the HD channels? Is it 61.5 that I would need to add? Can I pull that in with an extra D300 or D500 I have, and then put it in a switch to combine my 110/119?

TIA,

Mike

You would need a second dish (either one you have would work) pointed at 61.5W and a DishPro Plus Twin LNB on your existing dish. DPP switches are pretty expensive but if you have more than two receivers, you'll need to pop for a DPP44 (or put up a third dish for your SD receivers).

Owning is considerably overrated unless your local tax structure demands it. Actually, it isn't overrated because almost nobody recommends it.

What type of lnb's do you have in your Dish 500? If you have a DPP Twin, a DP Dual can be wired directly to the input of the twin. No need for an external switch as it is built in, although you would need a switch should you have more than two receivers.

I own my equipment to stay out of programming commitments. Buying receivers cheap off eBay, and often getting the dishes for free on Craigslist has worked out great for me. (People just love to have someone come get them off their roof :))

I do have a DPP twin, so I think I can set it up the way you describe. I'm also assuming the 2 receiver maximum means only 2 tuners as well, right? So if I got a Vip222 and keep my current 322, I'd only use the single tuner on each if I don't involve the extra DPP44 switch?

Thanks

I own my equipment to stay out of programming commitments.
Often you can buy your way out of a programming commitment for much less than the retail price of a receiver. There's also a non-negligible danger in buying receivers from Craig's List or eBay when most of the receivers on the market are under lease. Unless you're buying a sealed box from a dealer, there's a pretty good chance that the receiver is under someone else's lease and cannot be sold or otherwise transferred. As recently evidenced by a posting on one of the DBS forums, even dealers sometimes offer leased receivers for retail sale because they haven't done due diligence.

So if I got a Vip222 and keep my current 322, I'd only use the single tuner on each if I don't involve the extra DPP44 switch?
No. The ViP222 and 322 use one feed each from a DPP Twin to give you all four tuners. You'll need to buy a DPP separator to enable this feature of the DPP switches.

I own my equipment to stay out of programming commitments. Buying receivers cheap off eBay, and often getting the dishes for free on Craigslist has worked out great for me. (People just love to have someone come get them off their roof :))

I do have a DPP twin, so I think I can set it up the way you describe. I'm also assuming the 2 receiver maximum means only 2 tuners as well, right? So if I got a Vip222 and keep my current 322, I'd only use the single tuner on each if I don't involve the extra DPP44 switch?

Thanks

With DPP equipment, you can use a DPP Separator from a single coax to feed dual tuner receivers. The separator looks like a splitter and comes packaged with dual tuner receivers, so you may already have them.

Often you can buy your way out of a programming commitment for much less than the retail price of a receiver. There's also a non-negligible danger in buying receivers from Craig's List or eBay when most of the receivers on the market are under lease. Unless you're buying a sealed box from a dealer, there's a pretty good chance that the receiver is under someone else's lease and cannot be sold or otherwise transferred. As recently evidenced by a posting on one of the DBS forums, even dealers sometimes offer leased receivers for retail sale because they haven't done due diligence.

I understand what you're saying, but when I do the due diligence on a receiver's CA ID by calling Dish directly, where's the risk? When I can get a receiver for 1/3rd or less what it retails for, that's a pretty good deal.

Not to mention, that nothing prevents me from selling it again when I'm done with it, as long as it's zero-balance. In that case, it's basically a lease.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)