Dish HD Locals---Any cities have them yet?

birkoff

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Where is Dishnetwork at with rolling out locals in HD? I
recall they successfully sent up a bird a while back.

If I'm an existing user, what's the best way to upgrade
to a 622?

Birkoff

Awesome Dfergie! Thanks for posting this, as I had not kept up with all of this until I signed up for an upgrade to a 622 from the 811 a couple of weeks ago. Does Locals "moving from 119 to 110" for Houston mean it will be around May 5 as the group prior to it, or does that mean there is not a set date yet? I do see where it is set for the 2nd quarter.

dfergie said:
NP...:) actually thank BFG he put it together...

Thanks, BFG!

One minor correction on existing HD LIL Markets:

"Markets listed in order of size

Available:
New York, NY - 61.5
Los Angeles, CA - 129
Chicago, IL - 129
Philadelphia, PA - 61.5
Boston, MA/Manchester, NH - 61.5
Washington, DC - 61.5
Atlanta, GA - 129
Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN - 129
Denver, CO - 129
Nashville, TN - 129
Salt Lake City, UT - 129
Albuquerque-Santa Fe, NM - 129
Kansas City, MO - 129"

The list is correct in order of market size down to Nashville (30). Then it should read:

Kansas City (31)
Salt Lake City (36)
Albuquerque/Santa Fe (47)

No big deal - just striving for accuracy! ;)

Brad

yeah I tacked KC to the end of the list because it was the last added.

So I can either change the order or say markets list by order added

BFG -

I too thank you for your work in providing such great information. Living in Greenville, SC I'm very interested by the idea of Greenville / Spartanburg / Asheville HD-LiLs being on 110.

CDH.

just a question, it says others planned for 110 after the HD locals, and it has cleveland/akron/canton-does that mean my hd locals are going on the 110? if that is the case, that is amazing, I wont have to upgrade to a dish 1000 yet!

The list says that Milwaukee Locals are moving on May 5th. Wrong. As of April 20th (NOT 21st) all Milwaukee locals moved from 121 to 110 with the exception of channel 36 which is still on 121 for some reason.

I've had about 10 service calls in the last 3 days due to this switch: most customers never had 110 properly connected, but never noticed because they recieved no channels from the 110 sat until now.

Bradtothebone said:
Thanks, BFG!

One minor correction on existing HD LIL Markets:

"Markets listed in order of size

Available:
New York, NY - 61.5
Los Angeles, CA - 129
Chicago, IL - 129
Philadelphia, PA - 61.5
Boston, MA/Manchester, NH - 61.5
Washington, DC - 61.5
Atlanta, GA - 129
Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN - 129
Denver, CO - 129
Nashville, TN - 129
Salt Lake City, UT - 129
Albuquerque-Santa Fe, NM - 129
Kansas City, MO - 129"

The list is correct in order of market size down to Nashville (30). Then it should read:

Kansas City (31)
Salt Lake City (36)
Albuquerque/Santa Fe (47)

No big deal - just striving for accuracy! ;)

Brad

I find it extreamly distastfull how the 6 largest DMA was skipped over in the first round for those other po-dunk towns. It speaks volumes...

Paradox-SJ said:
I find it extreamly distastfull how the 6 largest DMA was skipped over in the first round for those other po-dunk towns. It speaks volumes...

One has to realize that not only does E* need transmission consent (if you look at the markets that are already up - why do some have the four major networks up in sd but not HD?) There is also the process of getting the signal from the dma. Not every market transmits in the same way, there is a lot of work needed to be done on the side of the dma as well as from E*. Plus, E* need to make room on their birds.

Paradox-SJ said:

Actually this brings up a good question that somebody else will have to answer. Could somebody post a list of largest DMA based on dish subscribers because that will give us a better view instead of just the rank of the DMA. Its very possible that dish is using their subscriber rank as a general guide, also its possible that dish uses the # unable to get OTA. Lets face it, if 90% get ota in an area there is virtually no reason to put the signal on the Satellite. Why waste the precious bandwidth. On the other hand for mountainous areas like Denver and Alb it makes perfect sense.
Patrick

stuart628 said:
just a question, it says others planned for 110 after the HD locals, and it has cleveland/akron/canton-does that mean my hd locals are going on the 110? if that is the case, that is amazing, I wont have to upgrade to a dish 1000 yet!

so does anyone know if this is true or not?

garys said:
One has to realize that not only does E* need transmission consent (if you look at the markets that are already up - why do some have the four major networks up in sd but not HD?) There is also the process of getting the signal from the dma. Not every market transmits in the same way, there is a lot of work needed to be done on the side of the dma as well as from E*. Plus, E* need to make room on their birds.

Paradox-SJ said:

From these two posts, who do you think knows more about how the process actually works? Thanks garys!

Originally Posted by garys

Originally Posted by Paradox-SJ

Slamminc11 said:
From these two posts, who do you think knows more about how the process actually works? Thanks garys!

Good post.

From a "po-dunk" town in the Burlington, Vt DMA.

garys said:

I realize there is a lot of prep work to bring a DMA online and some DMA's are more advanced than others. (hint hint) So there must be other political reasons (ie business decisions) why they made the choices they made.

I can see them baseing it off the quality of a DMA's OTA availability and its really really good here JUST like in LA who is up and running. (One of our stations have already shut down their analog tranmission and is digi only)So that idea can hold some water but not the whole story.

Did'nt see Toledo OH in the listfor HD LIL looks like i will stay with my OTA if it every gets back working again on my 211 still got the black screen on all OTA channels after the update last week

So I guess I better call the installer, I'll have to see 129
if I want Portland Local HD.

Thanks for the information!

Birkoff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)