Locals Marquette Mi

Y

yooper.mi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 24, 2004
U.P. of MI
Anyone Know if we will ever get locals or are we too close to Canada?

M

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
they'll come soon...I think originally there wasn't a spotbeam to put them on but with E10 there should be :)

Has nothing to do with Canada...Duluth, MN was on and their DMA is by Canada

Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Don't you know Marquette is the land that time (and satellite companies) forgot. :)

M

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I thought that was Houghton?

oh wait...thats the town that excitement is a new Super Wal-Mart :D
(and seats at the ice arena that are harder than the church pews)

M

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
yooper.mi said:
Thats Houghton

been to Houghton a few times for Minn-Duluth/Mich Tech hockey games :)
only place I know where it can be 50 in the afternoon and a blizzard 3 hours later

scooby2

scooby2

Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 25, 2005
Chicago, IL
Michigan weather. If you dont like it, wait an hour. :) Spent two years up in Houghton. Definitely dont miss it.

S

Sat_Jockey

SatelliteGuys Family
May 18, 2004
Somewhere in the windy west
Call me a freak, but I lived in Marquette and Gwen (suburb of Marquette ;) ) for just over five years and loved it. I really miss the seven months of snowmobiling.

Y

yooper.mi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 24, 2004
U.P. of MI
Well, I live 7 miles from Houghton, and I see there are a lot of happy people FROM the area.

S

Suomi

Apr 21, 2006
Lansing, MI
Some things may be a little behind the times up there, but I found that cable internet was available there before it was in Lansing. I love Marquette and Houghton, but that might just be a nostolgia thing since I spent a lot of time with my grand parents up there when I was young.

Y

yooper.mi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 24, 2004
U.P. of MI
7 miles from Houghton no cable or dsl, dailup at 26.4Kbps which truely makes it the land time forgot.

S

Suomi

Apr 21, 2006
Lansing, MI
Wow, I was up there a few years back and cable internet was available in Ontanogen, so I thought perhaps he whole dang area was ahead of us here in Lansing.

Van

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
I love the west side of the lower peninsula from traverse city down to mears, beautiful area really. Ive never had the chance to get to the upper peninsula to visit the common folk who live up there in the mud and grass huts ( joking joking ) but I want to go there some day.

Grandude

Grandude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 13, 2003
Santa Rosa, CA
Van said:
I love the west side of the lower peninsula from traverse city down to mears, beautiful area really. Ive never had the chance to get to the upper peninsula to visit the common folk who live up there in the mud and grass huts ( joking joking ) but I want to go there some day.
I've driven all the way up to the end of the peninsula sticking into Lake Superior and it is truly God's country. I do suspect that even God doesn't visit there in the winter though.:D

Van

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
I'd move there tomorrow if I could find a job that payed me $60k a year, hell even if it only payed me $45k I would go but with the states jobless rate at %6.8 now theres no way that Im going to take the risk.

kvhollis

kvhollis

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Oct 13, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI
Iceberg said:
been to Houghton a few times for Minn-Duluth/Mich Tech hockey games :)
only place I know where it can be 50 in the afternoon and a blizzard 3 hours later

No, that's just Michigan in general. :)

J

jeffwtux

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 25, 2003
Detroit is by Canada and it was one of the first ones. Buffalo is too. Now, if you are asking about CBC over DISH(they are in the Marquette DMA right), that would take an act of Congress.