Dish HD only

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mlb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 22, 2005
Kettering, Ohio
Assuming I wanted to just get the Dish HD channels, what hardware would I need to buy (I don't own any) in order to make it work?

Obviously I know I need a receiver (probably the 411 for MPEG4) and Dish (probably have to be the 1000, but all I would want is HD), what other cables, accessories, etc., would I need?

Thanks for your help.

If you are doing your installation, you will need to provide everything that an installer would provide. If you are not, buying the receiver and dish (an if you need a switch) will be enough. I believe that's all you need.

Sean Mota said:
If you are doing your installation, you will need to provide everything that an installer would provide. If you are not, buying the receiver and dish (an if you need a switch) will be enough. I believe that's all you need.

I would be doing my own installation, therefore I would need to know what I need to hook up the dish to my receiver. I've never used satellite before, therefore am totally out of the loop on what equipment/accessories are needed besides the dish itself, the cabling, and the receiver.

mlb said:
I would be doing my own installation, therefore I would need to know what I need to hook up the dish to my receiver. I've never used satellite before, therefore am totally out of the loop on what equipment/accessories are needed besides the dish itself, the cabling, and the receiver.

Well, some of the pro installers around here might list other equipment, but the only other thing you really need is coax and a ground block. Yes, you really ought to properly ground your installation with a ground wire from the dish, but I only use a coax grounding block and have not had problems...

Since this is your first install, it might take you a while to get the hang of pointing the dish...

More than likely a dish 1000 would suit your needs, depending on just what all HD that you wanted, Of course a quad LNB and a dual LNB, but that all comes in the kit for the dish. grounding block, and ground wire. a switch (depending how how many tv's you wanted to feed, plus a switch makes it easyer) so a DP34 should also come w/the dish. then a box of 1000' RG6 would be handy, as you'd need to possably upgrade from RG59. make shure its swept tested from 950-2150 Ghz at least if not 3000 GHz. And then which ever hd reciever you wanted to use, the 411 would lock you into being safe when MPEG4 starts being used by e*, and makes sence to buy since ur buying all of it. outherwise if u get a 811 or if im correct a 942 u'll need to upgrade them both (811 replacing with 411, 942 replaceing with 942+) also u'll need to have a phone line close buy, and upgrade your wall jack's barrel connectors to 3 Ghz. and dishstore.net is a good place to find all the goodies you need, plus the operator kicks the site back a few bucks with each purchase. Im shure that if im wrong on sompething, or left it out, someone else will chime in (IN A NICE WAY), LOL

For cable you need RG6 you will have to figure out the length. drill if you have to drill the wall; the cable ends; screwdriver,etc.. pliers, you will also need the special plier to tie the ends of the cable. You will also need a meter to locate the satellites (found here: http://www.dishstore.net/index.php?cPath=59) since you haven't had any experience with it. Grounding supplies to ground the satellite (found here: http://www.dishstore.net/index.php?cPath=51) I hope that helps.

If you are connecting your receiver to a home theater audio, you will need the toslink cable depending on your audio receiver. I hope this helps.

mlb said:
Assuming I wanted to just get the Dish HD channels, what hardware would I need to buy (I don't own any) in order to make it work?
Obviously I know I need a receiver (probably the 411 for MPEG4) and Dish (probably have to be the 1000, but all I would want is HD), what other cables, accessories, etc., would I need?
Thanks for your help.
Approximate location. E.g dish 1000 doesn't do you much good in NE.

I just did it.

Dish 811 and Dish 1000 off E-Bay (total $250).

RG6 cable, quad shielded

RG6 stripping tool

Quad shielded RG6 connectors

Second room extension:
2x Muxlab 500050 component (1080i) and digital audio baluns with ethernet cable ($200) fpr second room. Had to also extend the RF antenna using an RG6 cable. It is now directly under my living room bolted to the floor on the basement side.

Now i have HD in basement HT room (yes, the HD does justice to my 110 in screen wiht a Sanyo PLV-Z3) and in living room. The Harmony remote controls the 811 on location, and the Dish UHF remote is upstairs. It was also surprisingly easy to program and it even controls the receiver. The $20 monthy fee is a minor inconvenience :) OH BTW, good news is that the basic cable channels now look superb after i got rid of the SA 3250HD converter. Bad news is that wife been watchin a lot of Ultra and i am getting alarmed at how fast she picks up new Lancome and Loreal stuff :)

Ran into snags with a tree, but the guys on this forum are simply amazing and helped me a lot.

Last edited:
I'm using my old VOOM dish plus another 18 in dish pointed at 110.....bothare connected to a sw-21 switch and then the output of the sw-21 switch goes into a combiner that combines an ota ant and the sig from the dish....one coax runs to the 811 that I have in my living room.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)