Dish HD Pak--no SD--in nearby future?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

deez04

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 23, 2005
High Point, NC
Hey guys. I have been on this site for almost four years and finally decided to write in. This site is truly amazing with the Dish info it generates---I was searching and wondering that with the new satellites and new channels coming online soon, will Dish eventually offer a HD Pak without the SD? Will this package be cheaper or run about the same?

I always watch HD, never SD except for ESPNEWS which goes HD next year. DO you guys see Dish doing this first in the industry or will D* do this with all their new additions?

Thanks for the help!

At one time Dish did offer an HD-only package, but it is no longer available. For various reason, I doubt any provider will offer one again.

At one time Dish did offer an HD-only package, but it is no longer available. For various reason, I doubt any provider will offer one again.

Yep, I had that package and it was simply awesome. But I saw it going away so I sold the 811 before it lost its value.

A lot of us would like this. But I think a more likely scenario is more or less all programing will be HD within the next 2 to 3 years. At least as far as Satellite is concerned.

Nope don't see it happening.

It's not actually even supossed to be looked at as an HD package anymore.

Think of the $20 as just an HD Fee

You purchase an AT pack and pay $20 to get corresponding HD channels and all exclusive channels

I'm one those who still has the Dish HD only package. It was the main reason I dropped D* a couple of years ago when I purchased my first HDTV. With D* I didn't have any of their standard packages. I just had only the Starz and HBO channels. They try to force me to take one of the standard packages and I said no way and if they don't want me for a customer I would leave them. They changed their minds and grandfather me into just having Starz/HBO. So with HDTV I dropped D* and sign up with VOOM. They converted me to HD only. I never watched VOOM SD channels. So with Dish taking over VOOM broadcasts I switched to their HD standalone + VOOM package. I really liked this package. I hate paying for something I'm not going to use that is SD.

So now they called me up saying I have to take an AT package +DishHD. I said go ahead and drop VOOM and just keep the old HD Package. I find myself not watching much VOOM anyways and again I told them that I don't want to pay for something that I'm not going to watch (SD).

I heard that they will probably convert the old HD package to MPEG4 and again use that as a reason to force me to an AT package +DishHD. If that happens I will sign up for only the HBO package next year when it all goes to HD.

BTW I own a 622 receiver and MPEG4 was never a reason for me to "downgrade" to SD.

A lot of us would like this. But I think a more likely scenario is more or less all programing will be HD within the next 2 to 3 years. At least as far as Satellite is concerned.

My guess:

With the launch of "Dish II" MPEG4-only service next year, E* will drop the duplicated SD channels where there is an HD equivalent available. There are already several channels that could be dropped now if it were not for the SD and MPEG2 "legacy" customers*. For customers with an HD/MPEG4 box, but no HDTV, no problem - the E* box will downconvert for you!

I agree with many others that find they watch less and less SD content. With only a very few exceptions, all the channels I watch are available in HD. By this time next year I highly doubt I will be watching anything that E* has to offer in SD.

Cheers,
Red

* not meant to be condescending, just a statement of fact :D

My conspiracy theory is that when dish added ESPN-2HD they were no longer allowed to unbundle from the SD ESPN'S and is the reason you need AT100 for HD.

I'm still on the old HD pack on a 622 and I'll do without before paying for SD.

IF they would spin VOOM off as ala carte or another premium movie service for 10.00 instead of part of the hd tech fee /hd pack , you could get a tech fee of 10.00 and then DISH would not look like they are charging so much for their hd channels. THis makes DISH look much higher than DIRECTV for access to the hd channels.

I likes me the VOOM. Spent the first 4 days we set up my parent's DISH watching nothing but VOOM.

VOOM is GOOOD.

VOOM is 24/7

VOOM is HD done right

Yeah, Discovery HD & a couple of others aren't bad..but even the ESPN HD shows tons of SD stuff and just sticks their little "HD logos" on either side of the video to look HD-ish. What a joke. I understand they're at the mercy of the local feeds they get for the sporting events they broadcast, but I likes me my 24/7 HD. VOOM IS GOOD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)