Dish HD vs Disney (DISH sort of won...)

During my chat with a Dish CSR tonight I asked about these HD channels and that the rumor was that nothing would change until the remaining channel contracts expire between Dish Network and Disney. The Dish CSR agreed and indicated that they haven't been given any information as to when to expect these channels to return Dish programming but did indicate that there is approx 3 mos remaining channel contracts and they expected something to happen at that time.

During my chat with a Dish CSR tonight I asked about these HD channels and that the rumor was that nothing would change until the remaining channel contracts expire between Dish Network and Disney. The Dish CSR agreed and indicated that they haven't been given any information as to when to expect these channels to return Dish programming but did indicate that there is approx 3 mos remaining channel contracts and they expected something to happen at that time.

looks like this CSR might be right and i been saying it a lot lately, so expect theses channels to come back when they make a new deal for the other Disney channels when the contract expires.

looks like this CSR might be right and i been saying it a lot lately, so expect theses channels to come back when they make a new deal for the other Disney channels when the contract expires.

There's still the matter of the lawsuits to complicate matters that probably won't go away even with contracts up for renewal. If E* is truly concerned about not paying twice for the same content, they won't cave and neither will Disney if they want double payments. If the contracts are just for the SD versions, they could be renewed and subs would still not have HD for those channels.

There's still the matter of the lawsuits to complicate matters that probably won't go away even with contracts up for renewal. If E* is truly concerned about not paying twice for the same content, they won't cave and neither will Disney if they want double payments. If the contracts are just for the SD versions, they could be renewed and subs would still not have HD for those channels.

What I don't understand is; how do the other providers (DirecTV, Comcast, etc) handle this? Are they all paying double? Is Disney going to the same with the others when their contracts are up for renewal? This can't be just Disney messing with Dish.....

What I don't understand is; how do the other providers (DirecTV, Comcast, etc) handle this? Are they all paying double? Is Disney going to the same with the others when their contracts are up for renewal? This can't be just Disney messing with Dish.....
That was one of the reasons that E* sued Disney. E* wanted the same terms (i.e. free HD) as the other providers were getting from Disney. E* had a most favored nation clause in their contract that Disney and a judge said didn't apply but the appeals court said it probably does.

So when the other providers contracts are up, they are going to do the same with them?

It will depend on the outcome of the court rulings.If disney wins then yes other providers will have to pay twice as well.If Dish wins which imo they should then Disney will have to sell sd and hd for one price.

As usual, Dish has to stand up and take the heat for these things to help us, the little guys. :flag: Lol

Too bad Dish can't just pay for HD and downconvert for SD customers.

I believe Disney wants to be paid for all subs at the SD rate and then again for all subs with HD. It should be possible to provide a sub with either the SD or HD feed, but not both, to avoid double paying. However, if Disney makes a condition for HD that subs also have to have the SD feed, then they get paid double for HD subs. That is the issue as I understand it.

I believe Disney wants to be paid for all subs at the SD rate and then again for all subs with HD. It should be possible to provide a sub with either the SD or HD feed, but not both, to avoid double paying. However, if Disney makes a condition for HD that subs also have to have the SD feed, then they get paid double for HD subs. That is the issue as I understand it.

Many people have HD receivers on some tvs and SD on others. How would they decide which one to give those customers.

In my opinion, the only way Disney or any other channel/network should have the right to charge a fee for SD and a fee for HD is if the feeds are acting as two separate channels. If Disney SD has one program lineup and Disney HD has another, then yes charge for both. But, if it's the same programming with two different definitions, I'd also tell them to screw.

By the way, this Disney thing reeks of the South Park episode that makes fun of Disney and the Jonus Brothers.

Tell me if I got this right. So Disney wants Dish to pay separate for the SD and HD fee yet the other providers like DirecTV, FiOS and cable only have to pay for one feed for SD and HD.

If Disney ends up "winning" against Dish I am sure they will apply the same contract terms with the other providers.

It looks to me like it is just a way Disney is trying to get a price increase in existing contracts instead of waiting until contract renewal time and negotiating more money.

Tell me if I got this right. So Disney wants Dish to pay separate for the SD and HD fee yet the other providers like DirecTV, FiOS and cable only have to pay for one feed for SD and HD.

That is how I understand it. Add to that the Dish "most favored nations" clause with Disney that says they can't give others a cheaper price. Disney argues that that only applies to the price, not how many times they charge it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts