Dish HD vs Disney (DISH sort of won...)

Really, because Verizon has already started it.

Verizon Strips Sports Out of FiOS TV 'Select HD' Package

http://www.multichannel.com/telco-tv/verizon-strips-sports-out-fios-tv-select-hd-package/141331

Verizon Communications now offers a totally sports-free FiOS TV package, “Select HD,” with a lineup of 30 HD channels that excludes ESPN and other dedicated sports networks priced $15 less per month than its regular entry-level HD tier.

Sports “is not everyone’s cup of tea,” Verizon director of media relations Bill Kula wrote in a blog post announcing the new package. “In fact, we have many customers for whom watching sports is akin to me watching a fashion or dance program (not fun for me at least).”

I wish to GOD that DISH would follow their LEAD in the industry. IF DISH did it, then DIRECTV would soon follow in order to compete. We would all WIN!!

dont both providers already have a plan that basically has just ESPN & ESPN2 in it and not other sports channels ?

I know Directv has Entertainment Package which only has ESPN & ESPN2 in it

I used to have espn on all the time, but in the last 4-5 years, I can do without it and the other sports channels for most of the year. When football starts is really the only time I watch anymore. I've slowly lost interest in Nascar, the NBA and MLB over the years and I can get by with what is shown OTA. If sports were separated from the base packages I would likely drop them from February thru August and then add them back. I know others would be different, but that is just me.

How is that proof of anything? If sports are as much as half of the cost of my television package the other half is paying for channels I don't need. Meaning, I'm subsidizing channels I don't watch just like you are.

By the way, when they throw "as much as" before a number it usually means it's less than that number.
The difference, of course, is that there are fewer subs who only watch sports, and nothing else, than viewers who only watch non-sports, and no sports.

Also, there are far more non-sports channels than sports channels. Yet, if it's true that sports is responsible for half the cost, that is a huge disparity.

Really, because Verizon has already started it.

Verizon Strips Sports Out of FiOS TV 'Select HD' Package

http://www.multichannel.com/telco-tv/verizon-strips-sports-out-fios-tv-select-hd-package/141331

Verizon Communications now offers a totally sports-free FiOS TV package, “Select HD,” with a lineup of 30 HD channels that excludes ESPN and other dedicated sports networks priced $15 less per month than its regular entry-level HD tier.

Sports “is not everyone’s cup of tea,” Verizon director of media relations Bill Kula wrote in a blog post announcing the new package. “In fact, we have many customers for whom watching sports is akin to me watching a fashion or dance program (not fun for me at least).”

Where's the "nerd and PMS" free tier?

I'm sure I can add up the costs of the channels I don't watch and it would be well above the channels I do.

We are all subsidising others viewers habits.

Last edited:
Hate Paying for Cable? Here’s Why.

View attachment 85308

Wow look at the difference in price. So who subsidizing who......
This from 2010 and I am sure ESPN went up since then and that's for one ESPN. :eek:

You’ll find this particularly upsetting if you don’t watch sports. Because sports channels account for about 40 percent of cable fees.

Ok since you have a chart lets use real numbers even though it's from 2009. It also says Fox Sports Net without saying which one, but here are the numbers.

ESPN $4.08
Fox Sports Net 2.37
NFL Network 0.75
ESPN2 0.54
BTN 0.36
NHL Network 0.35
Versus(NBC Sports) 0.26
Golf 0.25
MLB Network 0.24
NBA TV 0.22
Speed 0.20
CBS Sports Network 0.19
ESPNews 0.17
ESPNU 0.16
Fox Soccer 0.16
Tennis 0.15
Fuel TV 0.14
Outdoor Channel 0.05
The Sportsman Channel 0.03

Total $10.67

Those are all of the sports channels included in the $74.99 AT250 pack in my area. I included BTN because it is a RSN here. I did not include channels like ESPN Classic, ESPN Deportes, Fox College Sports, and Fox Sports en Espanol because they are either not in AT250 or not carried by Dish.

Yes that is a significant chunk of our bill and it doesn't include Dish's markup. People would save money by not paying for them but maybe not as much as they think. I still say it goes both ways though. I can find at least $10.67 worth of channels on that list I would not pay for too. TV doesn't work that way though because the channels we do want would cost more if less people were paying for them.

Sports should be like Premium Movie channel packs. You should be able to add them if you want to pay extra for them.

Just like those without kids shouldn't be forced to have Nick and Disney channels, and those that don't like chick flicks shouldn't be forced to carry Lifetime. I do realize that the sports channels are the most expensive, but if you can drop them and save $10 a month, then shouldn't I have the choice of dropping some of the channels that I don't care for, and be able to save $5 a month. (Starting to sound like Ala Carte?)

How is that proof of anything? If sports are as much as half of the cost of my television package the other half is paying for channels I don't need. Meaning, I'm subsidizing channels I don't watch just like you are.

By the way, when they throw "as much as" before a number it usually means it's less than that number.

First of, half the cost does not mean the other half is other channels. Don't forget, Dish has to pay for stuff like satellites, uplink centers, customer service staff, home equipment, and profit. All that other stuff goes into that other half. Half my bill goes to sports, probably only 10% of your bill goes to the couple of networks I watch. ESPN is $5+ by itself. Nevermind ESPN 2, ESPNU, ESPN Classic, not to mention the 3 RSNs I am forced to have. The most expensive channel I watch is TNT, which comes in at around a $1. Most others are $0.05-$0.35/month.

Second, I bet a lot more sports fans watch the other networks than non sports fans watch sports. It only is subsidizing if you don't watch. Me, it's been months since I tuned to any of my RSNs, and the only thing I have watched on ESPN in the last year is grand slam tennis (which I'd gladly do without to save $100/year plus).

Just like those without kids shouldn't be forced to have Nick and Disney channels, and those that don't like chick flicks shouldn't be forced to carry Lifetime. I do realize that the sports channels are the most expensive, but if you can drop them and save $10 a month, then shouldn't I have the choice of dropping some of the channels that I don't care for, and be able to save $5 a month. (Starting to sound like Ala Carte?)

I don't disagree. I'd drop kids channels and chick flicks, too. Of course, even then I doubt the savings would even add to $5/month.

I get why people who do not care for sports get all pissy on here about their Dish bills. I don't like having to pay for stuff I don't care for either. What about all the customers out there who want to have a variety of channels? We have plenty of customers who want the general popular channels and still want to be able to watch some sports but do not want to pay for an expensive ad-on. The way packages are now, a customer like that can get almost everything they want for one affordable cost. The only way to get a little bit of everything is to have it bundled.

I don't think people understand really how this works. A very good example is the resent TW, NFL network dispute. I am not sure how it ended up but this is how it works. Most people feel that if a group of channels is in a tier, and not al carte. it is better. But the company wants to be on the basic tier. NFL network wants say .35 cents per month for every sub that Time Warner has. 10 million Just throwing that out there. Not .65 cents per month to be in a sports Pak. Which anybody can opt out of. And only 2 million want. If say Dish or Time Warner says no way. The forums light up with where's my channels. If they say ok the forums light up with , The cost it too high. The main reason al carte is so had to get is that is not were any "channel" wants to be. There is no money in it for them, or should I say not enough. If they do agree, as soon as they get popular enough. There is a confrontation or another contract dispute and the cycle starts over. JMO Peace

First of, half the cost does not mean the other half is other channels. Don't forget, Dish has to pay for stuff like satellites, uplink centers, customer service staff, home equipment, and profit. All that other stuff goes into that other half. Half my bill goes to sports, probably only 10% of your bill goes to the couple of networks I watch. ESPN is $5+ by itself. Nevermind ESPN 2, ESPNU, ESPN Classic, not to mention the 3 RSNs I am forced to have. The most expensive channel I watch is TNT, which comes in at around a $1. Most others are $0.05-$0.35/month.

Second, I bet a lot more sports fans watch the other networks than non sports fans watch sports. It only is subsidizing if you don't watch. Me, it's been months since I tuned to any of my RSNs, and the only thing I have watched on ESPN in the last year is grand slam tennis (which I'd gladly do without to save $100/year plus).

Ok let's not exaggerate here. The chart says ESPN is $4.68 which is expensive. Where are you getting $5+.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)