Dish HD vs Disney (DISH sort of won...)

I'd rather have TSN than ESPN. At least, they talk hockey on that channel. On ESPN hockey is almost non-existent...especially since ESPN doesn't carry the national games in the USA anymore.

Unfortunately, in today's world, everyone is out for themselves. If TWC and E* and other providers that will follow, would have just banded together and told Disney "No Dice!", Disney would have had to rethink the charges for the HD feed. Instead, TWC looks only at today dollar signs, instead of long range, and makes a deal.
As much as some people might want these channels that Disney has, it's not as easy for the "average Joe" to just cancel and get a new provider...there's ET fees, new equipment fees, deciding on a new package, a lot that in this economy is not that easy to overlook.

Ghpr13:(

I think TWC dispute had to do with ESPN3.com service, which is unavailable to TWC internet customers. ESPN3.com pretty much nullifies the need to buy ESPN gameplan service, which is horrible on a large screen do to the lack of bandwidth offered. I have ESPN3 through my internet provider, and it is an awesome option for watching sports not usually shown on television.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-...ey-talks-said-to-focus-on-espn3-com-fees.html

I watched ESPNews HD for a bit on UVerse today. It looks like they've changed their format. They don't have all the extra information around the edges anymore (at least not this morning), but they frequently showed HD clips of whatever story they were covering.

To me, this makes the HD version of ESPNews much less interesting. May as well just watch SportsCenter.

Everything affects Everything, but every situation is unique.

The Dish-Disney dispute won't come to a head until either the contract to carry ESPN and ESPN2 comes up, or the contract to carry ABC owned-and-operated stations comes up, whichever comes first.

Any idea on the timing of those - Dish vs ESPN or the ABC owned/operated stations negotiations?

We'd love to see Disney XD back as it's half the reason we pay for TV programming. We're on the old "Turbo HD" package so when Disney HD went blackout, we lost all Disney-branded channels :mad:

[FONT=&quot]Our utility bill might go up, the water bill might go up but we don’t have the option to drop those services, it’s the same thing really, your bill to Disney goes up a bit so you just discontinue their channels (service).[/FONT]

I see the fights have even spread to the newbies of multichannel TV--the telcos.

Now AT&T U-verse and Hallmark! of all channels are in dispute.

It seems Verizon FIOS is the only provider immune--for now.

Maybe Dish can make peace with Disney and ESPN before college football starts this week--(highly doubtful).

I know this may be Disney's fault, but I'm really starting to consider DirecTV (Seeing that I can get ESPNU-HD there). Is there any indication that this sort of issue would spill over to providers other than E*?

I know this may be Disney's fault, but I'm really starting to consider DirecTV (Seeing that I can get ESPNU-HD there). Is there any indication that this sort of issue would spill over to providers other than E*?

Depends when the contracts are up for renewal I would think and how much Disney wants to gouge. The programming is identical on both the SD and HD feeds so one payment should suffice in my opinion. I don't care if they provide an SD feed or not if I have HD service. Something has to put an end to this idea of getting paid twice for the same content. They are already reaping a whirlwind of revenue of at least $6 per sub per month for the four channels.

when contract comes up

With the way things are gong D* may also be in same boat too. Seems like several co's are now in the middle of this.

With the way things are gong D* may also be in same boat too. Seems like several co's are now in the middle of this.

I don't know if Disney will try to burn Direct. Direct is more sports oriented and provides tall bucks for all the Espn fare. It would be like killing the golden goose.

You do realize that even with "HD for Life", you still pay Dish Network extra for the HD feeds. So I don't understand why there is a complaint.

There is also this other little problem: if Time Warner, Dish Network, and other providers discussed amongst themselves how they would declare war on Disney by refusing to sign any carriage agreements with Disney, then Disney can sue the other providers for violating the law. It is highly illegal for more than one company to collude with another to control the marketplace.

And realize that "Swanni" simply repackaged the report given by the New York Post. Swanni certainly didn't break any news. I'm still waiting for him to have an original thought.

Depends when the contracts are up for renewal I would think and how much Disney wants to gouge. The programming is identical on both the SD and HD feeds so one payment should suffice in my opinion. I don't care if they provide an SD feed or not if I have HD service. Something has to put an end to this idea of getting paid twice for the same content. They are already reaping a whirlwind of revenue of at least $6 per sub per month for the four channels.

I agree. This is what I was saying before. I don't have a problem paying for HD, but sub rates shouldn't have to increase just because Disney, or whoever, wants to be paid twice for the same programming.

Ghpr13:)

I don't think I understand this. Don't SD-only and HD for Life subs pay the exact same amount for their packages?

Money doesn't grow on trees at Dish.... Whatever is spent paying for packages to Networks in turn has to be passed on in someway back to the ultimate consumer / subscriber.....

:confused:

HDRoberts
user_online.gif

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice
My rates will still go up even without Disney HD so saying that they won't is a bunch of crud.

Not as much as they would if Dish just bowed to their wishes.

don't bet on it

Ghpr13 said:
I agree. This is what I was saying before. I don't have a problem paying for HD, but sub rates shouldn't have to increase just because Disney, or whoever, wants to be paid twice for the same programming.
Well that's funny. Dish Network has an agreement with Disney to provide ESPN and the ESPN-HD and ESPN2-HD feeds. One can only assume that Dish Network doesn't mind paying for HD feeds.

And it isn't that Dish Network would have to pay for the same feeds twice. We don't know the carriage price on the HD feeds. One can only assume that the HD feeds are a fraction of the SD feeds because generally Dish Network is charging for HD access as a $10 bolt-on to the AT packages.
Laddyboy said:
I don't think I understand this. Don't SD-only and HD for Life subs pay the exact same amount for their packages?
Bonneville said:
Ahh, but SD-only customers haven't ceded control of their finances or their money in order to get "HD for Life". SD-only customers do not have to sign for paperless billing and CCAP in order to pay their bills, nor would they have to pay $99 to get HD for Life, two glaring points why "HD for Life" isn't free.
snowboardernh said:
Money doesn't grow on trees at Dish.... Whatever is spent paying for packages to Networks in turn has to be passed on in someway back to the ultimate consumer / subscriber.....
True. But less than half of a monthly bill goes to paying the programmers, leaving one to wonder the true motivation. Think about this equation:

Bill is $50 a month. About $25 a month goes to programmers. Programmers demand maybe a 7 percent increase. Bill goes up to $53 a month.

The costs only went up $1.75, and Dish Network would get an extra $1.25 from their rate increase.

Yet the complaint is that rates are always going up. I sincerely hope no one believes that these rate increases are only to cover programmers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)