Dish HD vs Disney (DISH sort of won...)

Who cares about MNF? It is the most overrated program in history. Heck, the entire NFL season is mostly pointless. It has become a mindless round robin. ESPN paid too darn much for it and I'd hate to see even normal sports fans have to pay a ridiculous price for ESPN partly because of MNF. I'm so tired of channels being held hostage by their parent companies for limited programming (especially a game that has about 15 minutes of actual game play and more commercials than a movie on AMC!).

You're are blinded by your hatred for sports. Numbers do not lie, millions of people watch MNF. I watch it every monday. NFL has become the most watched sport in the US. The majority of everyone I know loves watching football and watches whatever is on regardless who is playing. More and more people are watching even though they don't have a favorite team because of the popularity of fantasy football.

Actually it is Disney 7 to Dish 1, Dish only won 1 out of 8 claims and got 5 million out of $150 million in the suit... Probably not even enough to cover the lawyers.

Not really the 7 you give to Disney wasn't won by anyone. They just couldn't be substantiated. That doesn't mean that Disney won just not won by Dish.

While Dish gained a slight moral victory, the decision was a major win for Disney. The implication of the decision is that deceptive and inequitable actions by a programming provider will not be subject to recourse from the courts, and Disney will recognize and rely on that fact. Disney's arguments were so lame they should have been delivered by an attorney using a walker, but the jury was apparently mezmerized, bamboozled, blinded, and just plain fooled.

Disney will be emboldened in the negotiations going forward, and will not in my opinion be willing to provide programming to Dish on the same basis as other carriers such as DirecTv or Comcast. It is apparent Disney has no desire to engage in fair dealing with Dish, since the refusal to provide equitable treatment to Dish Network was the reason Dish customers lost ABCFM-HD, and ESPNews-HD a couple or three years ago, and why Dish has been unable to provide ESPNU-HD to its customers. I think it is possible, perhaps probable, that Dish Network will also lose carriage of ESPN and ESPN2 in HD when the current contract ends. It would not surprise me if Dish Network also discontinued carriage of ESPN and ESPN2 in SD, since Disney apparently believes it can make or break the Dish Network, and will not enter into an equitable agreement with Dish in the negotiations. I think Charlie Ergen is whistling in the dark if he thinks common sense will lead Disney and ESPN to a fair agreement with Dish, for I believe with regard to this issue DISNEY HAS NO COMMON SENSE.

If Dish totally loses the Disney family of networks, I will still not discontinue my Dish subscription to follow Disney even though I am a sports junkie. I believe Disney to be both arrogant and obnoxious in addition to being deceptive, and I would not follow them anywhere. If all Disney products are gone, Dish will still have an adequate package of sports programming with the use of sports programming from CBS, NBC, FOX, and the regional Sports Net.

Best regards.

Fitzie

I agree with a lot of what you say, but it's hard to believe that ABC/ESPN can take a hit of upwards of 14 million lost subs, IMHO.

Posted Using My RAZR MAXX With The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Not really the 7 you give to Disney wasn't won by anyone. They just couldn't be substantiated. That doesn't mean that Disney won just not won by Dish.
Semantics. Dish lost 7 of 8. The decisions went to the defendant in 7 of 8 counts, and to the plaintiff in 1 of 8. Dish won 1, and lost 7.

This doesn't bode well for the upcoming contract negotiations.

I agree with a lot of what you say, but it's hard to believe that ABC/ESPN can take a hit of upwards of 14 million lost subs, IMHO.

Posted Using My RAZR MAXX With The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

A majority of those 14 million will switch to a provider that has those channels.

DISH is the one that can not afford to lose DISNEY/ESPN.

A majority of those 14 million will switch to a provider that has those channels.

DISH is the one that can not afford to lose DISNEY/ESPN.

i agree that Dish would lose some subs if the disney and espn channels are removed from their lineup. but where do you get the idea that the majority of the 14 mill will switch providers if this happens? hell i know some dish subs who haven't even noticed or care that espnews hd is gone. i don't think this is convenient for either side but to say that the MAJORITY of the subs would switch seems like an exaggeration on your part. or perhaps wishful thinking?

Last edited:
Majority? No. But, a HUGE number would jump ship. HUGE. The loss would be 10% at minimum, but quite possibly as high as 25%. Sports fans and families with kids make up a huge demographic for any carrier.

For sure, Disney/ESPN/ABC revenue would take a big hit if they lost Dish viewers. But, I think Dish would lose a higher percentage of viewers than Disney/ESPN/ABC would, if Dish stopped carrying their channels.

Majority? No. But, a HUGE number would jump ship. HUGE. The loss would be 10% at minimum, but quite possibly as high as 25%. Sports fans and families with kids make up a huge demographic for any carrier.

For sure, Disney/ESPN/ABC revenue would take a big hit if they lost Dish viewers. But, I think Dish would lose a higher percentage of viewers than Disney/ESPN/ABC would, if Dish stopped carrying their channels.

i agree gary but as you said, not the majority meaning perhaps an exaggerated # of 9-12 mill as suggested before. instead at most, 3.5 million in your worse case scenario.

Seeing as many SEC football games (and basketball) are carried on the ESPN channels, sadly, IF they were to be dropped, even for a weekend during those seasons, I would swap.

I doubt it will come to that however.

i agree gary but as you said, not the majority meaning perhaps an exaggerated # of 9-12 mill as suggested before. instead at most, 3.5 million in your worse case scenario.

Let me just say, not for a second do I believe these channels would ever leave DISH. But if they did, I could see 40-50% leaving in time. Not at first, as they would wait for them to come back, like any other contract dispute.

Let me just say, not for a second do I believe these channels would ever leave DISH. But if they did, I could see 40-50% leaving in time. Not at first, as they would wait for them to come back, like any other contract dispute.
i agree curtis.

3.5M is HUGE. I think that would hurt, and hurt big.

I'm just one, but to loose Disney/Espn would not matter in the least.
I'd miss ESPN only a little. And, Disney/ABC "cable" channels not in the least. But, I'm still objective enough to understand how it would negatively affect any carrier who would lose them.

While I think it's entirely possible that the numbers could exceed my 10-25% prediction, I do think that 50% is kinda high.

I am a huge sports fan and I would not miss ESPN at all. The channel has tanked and is now a sorry excuse for sports programming. What we need are RSNs in HD and maybe better sports specific packages like NHL center ice and MLB extra innings. I watch mosts sports and get my fix of baseball through mlb.tv and hockey through nhl center ice. I watch both on my apple tv. NFL I have red zone and the national channels. So I miss one game a week on MNF who cares. Watching the game is painful enough do to the crappy announcers. Honestly, I can't stand most sports announcing nowadays. For soccer I have bein fox soccer etc etc. The only real loss would be ncaa baskeball.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts