Dish HD vs HD DVD: price and quality comparison

Speaking only to picture quality, and as cebbigh stated, DISH doesn't even come close to that of HD DVD.

That's not to say that DISH HD is bad. It's just no where near the quality of HD DVD. For instance, for years I enjoyed DVD (SD), and I couldn't imagine how the picture quality could improve. Then I got DISH HD. I was blown away. Suddenly all those DVD's seemed to look like crap to me. A similar experience occurred when I got HD DVD. Now DISH HD doesn't "look like crap", but it is a far cry from HD DVD.

That said, if HD DVD doesn't offer the movies you want to see, then what good is the picture quality?

Speaking to the two media as a whole, however, it's not a fair comparison. HD DVD has many interactive features and general "cool stuff" that's not available with DBS-provided HD (archived or otherwise). I rarely watched "extra features" on DVD's, but with HD DVD the features are so interactive and intuitive I find that I watch them more.

None of the aforementioned arguments address the longevity of the media. No one really knows how long HD DVD will be available. For me, the price was right. If HD DVD only survives for 1 year, I feel I'll have gotten my money's worth.

very well said.
HD DVD was worth it for me to add on via the 360. Clarity is incredible. Check out Netflix for a HD DVD source. 300 came tonight;)

Toshiba HD DVD players SD DVD upconversion...?

Wow everybody, thanks for all the GREAT comments!

So, it seems unanimous that HD DVD / BR is better quality than Dish HD. Very good to know.

Best Buy has a 750G hard drive on sale for $179 right now, and no matter what I decide on an HD optical player, I'm gonna want a hard drive for my Dish 722 box so that I can archive HD movies and tv shows. So I'm gonna pick that up for now and just record movies for free from Dish.

I'm hoping that after Thanksgiving the cheaper Toshiba HD DVD player will go on a crazy-sale. Someone here made a good comment that it's worth the price just for SD DVD upconversion...that is a very interesting thought.

On that thought...how good is that upconversion? I have the first ever upconverting dvd player (a Samsung that I got with my HDTV in 2004). The upconversion on that player is...less than stunning. Is the upconversion on the Toshiba HD-A2, for example, pretty good?

I have hundreds of tv shows on dvd that I will probably never repurchase in another format, so a good upconverting player really should be a serious consideration for.

(By the way, I wish that HD channels would start airing completed tv shows like Firefly and Star Trek in their entirety--like a few new HD tv show channels. That would rock. I see occasional tv episodes here and there on UniversalHD and the like, but for me unless I can get them all it's kinda pointless)

(By the way, I wish that HD channels would start airing completed tv shows like Firefly and Star Trek in their entirety--like a few new HD tv show channels. That would rock. I see occasional tv episodes here and there on UniversalHD and the like, but for me unless I can get them all it's kinda pointless)

I've been recording Firefly for the last 4 weeks on Saturdays in Universal HD, in order, I believe.

Just understand...you CANNOT upconvert DVD's over a component cable...copyright infringement laws dictate over analog conversion. You can ONLY upconvert via a HDMI cable. My Xbox 360 would not upconvert because it does not have a HDMI cable. It is possible on a 360 via a RGB connection only, unless you get the newest 360 models which now come with a HDMI port. The software on the 360 and the PS3 can upconvert the DVD's to HD signal.

From mainstream companies who are in the pockets of the studios, this is true. However, the Helios 4000 will upconvert over component.

Helios Home - Connect to the future of digital home entertainment.

You also may want to consider if you will be watching on a 1080P resolution TV. If not, then the Dish external hard driive is probably the best choice. If you are watching on a 1080P TV then HD-DVD or Blu-Ray will yield the best PQ for movies.

You also may want to consider if you will be watching on a 1080P resolution TV. If not, then the Dish external hard driive is probably the best choice. If you are watching on a 1080P TV then HD-DVD or Blu-Ray will yield the best PQ for movies.

You can see the benefits of HD DVD on 720p sets as well. Even if you don't get all of the resolution on the disc, you won't have any macroblocking or other compression artifacts.

how can it not compare to HD DVD title but look HD quality.

upconversion will not give you HD quality.

no upconversion will not give you true hd quality but for those who cant tell the difference it will be so close that they would think it was hd i was fooled the first time i put a regular dvd in the HDA2. thus my point of it will look hd quality

no upconversion will not give you true hd quality but for those who cant tell the difference it will be so close that they would think it was hd i was fooled the first time i put a regular dvd in the HDA2. thus my point of it will look hd quality
I'll go as far as to say upconverted DVD's on my sony player look about as good as Dish HD. Cleaner, anyway,

Yea, my tv is 1080i, and so that might make a slight difference. It has a good contrast ratio, though, and until this year I haven't seen any in the store that I thought looked better than mine.

I think I'll try to hold out on an HD optical player until the price hits bottom (please this Thanksgiving!), and then get that Toshiba 1080i cheapo player. Even if HD DVD dies in a year, I'll still have a great upconverting dvd player and some HD movies.

So far, Dish HD appears to me to be lower PQ than cable HD. I'm just using component at the moment (waiting for my HDMI switcher to arive), but I was only using component on the cable box too (because they don't even turn the HDMI port on!) and it seemed better. I know that each player is different, so some might look better or worse over component, but so far I'm disappointed with the PQ on Dish HD. I'm hoping HDMI will clear that up, and i'm going to pick up an OTA antenna to get local HD

Is there anything in the "settings" that I should do to optimize my 722 reciever?

There is one other issue that affects the price side. Isn't it true that the external HD is currently locked to the box and not to the account? I know that DISH is promising to fix that "soon, but as a 508 owner that is still waiting for that promised NBR...

This is why I will not tend to do permanent archiving on my DVR. If the box dies, or I am convinced to upgrade, it is all lost. A DVD is a safer investment.

I'll go as far as to say upconverted DVD's on my sony player look about as good as Dish HD. Cleaner, anyway,

I was going to say something similar. My Toshiba A20 upconverts DVD's (e.g. The Last King of Scotland) to near HD quality without all the pixelation and macroblocking of HD-lite. I'm going to rent "A Bridge to Terabithia" on SD DVD (not Blu or imported HD-DVD from Spain) and compare it to the HD-lite PPV I spent $5 on. I bet the 480i disc will look better.

HDNet movies shows a lot of movies that are not available on HDM or even DVD. Moreover, they show the movies in their original aspect ratios. There's something to be said for that (*cough*, Cinemax, *cough*, TNT).

Re: that Venturer HD-DVD player being only 1080i--90% of the HDTV's in US homes are 720p/768p/1080i or less. (There are those weird sub 720p plasmas/LCD's as well as EDTV's that shouldn't even be mentioned.) Many first generation 1080P displays didn't even accept 1080P inputs. They only de-interlaced 1080i. So, there's reasonable demand for 1080i/720P sources.

I knew I shouldn't have bought an HD-DVD player! Dish HD looked really good until I got a taste of HD on DVD. Talk about a wow factor - HD DVD & Bluray (bought both)almost hurt my eyes.

Now the Dish HD channels are OK, but the wow is long gone for me. Problem is, I can watch a Dish HD program after a HD DVD, but real shock occurs when I try an SD channel. I have to dust off the old VHS & watch a few minutes of an old tape just to make SD not look quite as bad!

Fact is, the better quality sources we get used to, the more critical we all become.

I knew I shouldn't have bought an HD-DVD player! Dish HD looked really good until I got a taste of HD on DVD. Talk about a wow factor - HD DVD & Bluray (bought both)almost hurt my eyes.

Now the Dish HD channels are OK, but the wow is long gone for me. Problem is, I can watch a Dish HD program after a HD DVD, but real shock occurs when I try an SD channel. I have to dust off the old VHS & watch a few minutes of an old tape just to make SD not look quite as bad!

Fact is, the better quality sources we get used to, the more critical we all become.

So very true...I'm becoming a HD SNOB!

I am sure the DISHHD lite opologist will chime in shortly to dispute your claim. Or maybe not as they might have changed their mind. :D

Around Thanksgiving I'm guessing I'll be able to get an HD DVD player (with around 8 movies thrown in) for $200.

First off, I'll say that I doubt the above will happen. You might get the player for that price but you won't get quality movies for that price thrown in. Yes, I realize they throw in free movies and will have some kind of deal, but I doubt it will be 8, and I doubt it will be quality movies. It will be the junk that doesn't sell. Plan on paying $25 a piece for the movies you pick and choose.

Having that said. I have both Dish, with the 622 DVR and a 750 external drive, and I have HD-DVD with about 25 movies. The HD-DVD movies look better than the Dish HD, but, if you are on a tight budget, you will get more out of the external drive by recording tons of movies and archiving them on an external drive. I watch a lot of Monster's HD on Dish and archive the movie marathons that I don't have time to watch as they air. The quality is good enough on Dish but HD-DVD is far better overall. This boils down to quality (HD-DVD) vs quantity (Dish with external storage). How often are you going to watch the HD-DVD movies? As a collector with over 500 SD DVDs and like I said 25 or so HD-DVDs, I rarely watch the movies more than 2 times each but collect them and as the years go by I may pull them out again and watch.

Budget wise, I would go with the external drive for the Dish in your case. I get more out of mine on a daily basis than I do the HD-DVD player.

Just my two cents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)