Dish HD

sandman441

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
Alaska
I went through a local company to get DIsh installed. I asked about the HD channels and was told the satellite would be $2500. Does anybody know what satellite I need?. Also what receiver?.

gbjbany said:
did you see thsi thread. 129 is the satelitte that has some of the HD channels on it

I read and didn't understand some of it So the satellite dish I need is 129? or is that where it's supposed to be pointed?. I believe I am getting that but I thought it was supposed to be some kind of HD sattelite dish.

Last edited:
gigapower said:
Wait until Wednesday, call Dish and ask for the DishHD service and the $299 ViP622

Sorry about that I didn't know there was a package called dish Hd. What I need to know is what satellite I need to get the HD channels.

no the numbers are the satelite locations. So 129 is at 129 degrees.
What i saw was the need for a 30" dish.
It will need LNB's to see 3 satellites at 3 locations 110 degrees, 119 degrees and 129 degrees if you want some of the new HD channels.

If they are wanting $2500 for this install, STOP the transaction. You should be set up for the cost mentioned above. Who is quoting you $2500? They are crooks.

gbjbany said:
no the numbers are the satelite locations. So 129 is at 129 degrees.

Ok, That's what I thought it was.

What i saw was the need for a 30" dish. .[/QUOTE]

Atleast I'm getting a little better because I thought that's what it was. I just didn't know if there was a certain name to it.

gbjbany said:
It will need LNB's to see 3 satellites at 3 locations 110 degrees, 119 degrees and 129 degrees if you want some of the new HD channels.

Ok, From what I understand I will have a dish at 110 degrees and 119 degrees. SO I need another dish for 129?.

gpflepsen said:
If they are wanting $2500 for this install, STOP the transaction. You should be set up for the cost mentioned above. Who is quoting you $2500? They are crooks.

That was only to get the HD channels. I told them I didn't want them and ended up with America's Everything pack. I need two dishes one was free the other was $600 I think the total was $745 for the dish and to install it. There was another charge although I don't remember what that was for. I think it was for another receiver. They called today and asked if we were supposed to get dish 500 and we told them the price they quoted us and they said ok. From what I am reading dish 500 can pickup the HD channels and all I need is the HD receivers. If something does go wrong though I'll them to screw it and go back to cable.

What no one pointed out is he is in Alaska. Normal dishes won't work - they need big ones. I would suggest checking with other local (if there are any up there) installers/suppliers for any more reasonable options is you really want the HD on 129. Some of the HD is on 110, which probally was the dish you paid $600 for.

masterdeals said:
What no one pointed out is he is in Alaska. Normal dishes won't work - they need big ones. I would suggest checking with other local (if there are any up there) installers/suppliers for any more reasonable options is you really want the HD on 129. Some of the HD is on 110, which probally was the dish you paid $600 for.

I was thinking about Ebay or something. There is 5 dealers here plus Sears also carrys it. I wonder if Sears would be cheaper. I'll probably wait because the only channel I really want is HDNet there's some other channels but that is the main one.

goaliebob99 said:
he cant get 129 in alaska (its tooo low powered) He can try for 61.5 if hes not below the horizon on it.. :) but good luck :)

They did say I only get 6 HD channels here but I'm not sure which ones.

I had a similar question about 61.5/129.... The Rocket Scientist that installed my dish 5 years ago put it in a screwed up place (I told him not too) that I seriously doubt I will see 129.

Here what happened... Rear of house faces south with a nice break in the tree line (I cut out the trees to get signal) The rocket scientist put the dish in 'position b' after I told him to put it in position 'a' then he fussed and fussed and said there is no signal avail from here (cursing about him having to run longer cables and moaning about only getting paid one sum for the job)(all the while not even using a compass or anything) I told him you need to put the dish in 'position a' and there will be tons of signal. He argued about moving the dish and having to fill the holes in the roof, and then eventually put it in 'position c' which is halfway between 'a and b'

So I got 110 perfect, and 119 is lower, and even lower when the trees blow. So I know 129 is going to be right in the middle of the trees...

Will the next installer move the whole roof mount to 'position a' (where it should have been to begin with) whereby I can use the dish 1000, and if he cant, will they put up a dish for 61.5

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts