DISH HDCP Update

I wonder if the delayed or prevented transfers to EHD were by network or by movie.

I thought part of HDCP Compliance was down-rezzing the analog outputs to 480i when playing HDCP content.
I didn't think it touched the analog outputs. The key is, component is analog, not digital, so the industry more or less doesn't care (of they thought it was going away real soon).

Just reading up on this as it's been years and what you say is correct. Component outputs on BD players, for example, are limited to 480i. Older BD players are similarly impacted. BD discs can contain a flag that restricts their output to 540p.

Not sure how set-tops from cable or satellite companies are impacted although in their cases, it sounds like with them it's "all or nothing".

.Component is 1080 also.... Or do you mean you watch in 720P instead of 1080 anyway.

I use to have it on 1080I. My picture is clearer on 720P. Tune to CNN for example and watch the words scrolling across the bottom of the screen. There was less trailing edge blurring on the words using 720P.

Reactions: Tampa8
So, does this mean that Dish receivers will only output 480i or 480p (or ??) when viewing HDCP content over a Component Video connection?

The component outputs can do the same resolution as hdmi outputs. There was some discussion that HBO would downgrade the resolution to 480i if HDCP protection was not detected.
HDCP is only checked thru HDMI. This the component would be downgraded to 480i. I don't know if this was ever implemented.

The component outputs can do the same resolution as hdmi outputs. There was some discussion that HBO would downgrade the resolution to 480i if HDCP protection was not detected.
Per the HDCP spec I read, it wasn't just discussion, it was the design/implementation.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

But only for Blu-ray players/recorders I thought?
This article does only mention BluRay players. I don't know if the person wrote with only BD players in mind, but it would seem to me that it would impact all devices (BD players, satellite receivers, cable set-tops, etc).

This article, on the other hand, mentions all sorts of devices like I thought it would be applicable to.
HDCP is everywhere and is built into devices like Blu-ray players, cable boxes, satellite TV receivers, and streaming video hardware like the Chromecast and Amazon Fire TV. It’s also built into laptops and computer hardware, DVRs, and other modern HDMI devices.

Reactions: Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)