Dish Hdmi 61"

NitrousGT

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 19, 2006
I just purchased a 61" Samsung 1080P, will it make much of a difference if i get the HMDI cables or will the regular cables supplied by dish be sufficient? Will the quality be that drasitic by switching to HMDI? are those the best out there now? Also, does any channels suppose 1080P, or 1080I? I am signing up with DISH HD package.

Thanks

Thanks Tom, so why does the TV i purchased says 1080P? will it still broadcast in 1080I? or is 1080P coming in the future? i am not too familiar with all this yet. Do i have to change some setting to view in 1080I? or will the tv do it automatically?

I believe I have the EXACT same TV as you: the Samsung HLS-6187W 61" 1080p set? I too am getting DishHD Silver installed tomorrow (or later today since it's past midnight). Your TV is capable of inputting a 1080p signal; however, as Tom said, no HD TV stations currently broadcast or have any plans of broadcasting in 1080p. Your TV is, however, great for such things as a 1080p upconverting DVD player (such as the Samsung HD-960, which takes your regular 480i natively-encoded DVDs and upconverts them to 1080p by "filling in" missing pixels intelligently), a SECOND-generation HD-DVD player with content natively encoded in 1080p (not out yet but should be before year's end - first-generation players are out now but only output in 1080i even though the disc is encoded in 1080p), a Blu-Ray player that also natively outputs 1080p content (out June 25th), or a PS3 which has some 1080p games and will be out November 17th. This effectively "future-proofs" your TV, and while the broadcasters aren't changing anytime soon, I'm sure you will be blown away by a Blu-Ray video disc over HDMI seen its full glory.

No, you do not have to change anything in your TV to view broadcasts in the correct resolution - your TV will do this for you and, (at least when watching OTA HD - all I can vouch for at the moment), a thin bar at the top of your screen tells your whether the channel is outputting in 720p or 1080i.

Finally, in general HDMI WILL look better than component cables (since HDMI=digital and component=analog), so I suggest you get a GREAT and CHEAP HDMI/HDMI cable from Monoprice.com and hook up your amazing TV with amazing cables. One cable costs $5.97 and you can get two for $4.97 each (that's what I picked). Here's the link: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10240&cs_id=1024004&p_id=2412&seq=1&format=2
And yes, these cables will perform JUST AS WELL as those $125 Monster gimmick cables. If you have any more questions, just ask! And head on over to http://www.avsforum.com if you wish to become more enlightened on this subject or any subject HD or tech-related! :)

Iceman, thanks for the great explanation. So from the TV to the hd receiver from dish all i will need is that male to male HDMI cable and it will get sound and picture? From the dvd to TV what cable is best, the S cable or the optical cable? I have an older dvd player and doesnt have a hdmi.

Thanks again

The optical cable is for digital sound only. If you have a surround receiver that supports dolby 5.1 surround then the optical from the 622 and the dvd should go there. If the dvd has component ouputs then use them if not then s-video. Dvd players are fairly inexpensive now I would get a progressive scan player with component or hdmi outputs, the difference in picture quality is worth it.

Is this the first of the new DLP models that support 1080p input?

Why does the manual say you can't use the HDMI for a PC? I assumed a DVI/HDMI cable would work.

http://www.samsung.com/support/prod...V.sec&RSSI=/include/SSI/us_right/RMenu_TV.sec

Page 12

The labeling is rather confusing. One HDMI is labeled HDMI/DVI. But I think the only difference is that the 2nd port has an associated analog audio port (don't know if this port also accepts HDMI audio).

You do realize that ALL digital displays are naturally progressive and convert 1080i to display the full frame one at a time. Only CRT displays are natively interlaced displays.

So the HDMI cables are first choice, then components then S cable then RCA? I should not even be using RCA correct?

Your order is correct in theory. However, you will see many people that prefer the Component connection over HDMI (it is really just whatever you think looks better). With a TV like that you shouldn't be using anything other than HDMI or compenent (unless of course you are hooking up a VCR or something).

Jim5506 said:
You do realize that ALL digital displays are naturally progressive and convert 1080i to display the full frame one at a time. Only CRT displays are natively interlaced displays.

Are you talking to me?

Sure, but the first generation of 1080 DLPs only supported up to 1080i input. Probably due to bandwidth limitiation of the cable or the signal processor.

And, I'd rather my new 1080 DLP get a 1080p source, then have to de-interlace a 1/2 bandwidth 1080i (once we get our HD DVD players).

Yeah the Blu-Ray players will have 1080p but most things on TV Broadcasting side will be 1080i for awhile.

1080I is still a better choice than 720P. Ofcourse when 1080P is more common, at least the TV will able to display in that quality. How much better quality would someone expect from RCA to Component cables? Just for my knowledge, is the difference about 10times greater, or just slightly noticable?

VERY noticable, but use HDMI if you can. Let's put it this way: I believe a legally blind individual will have NO problem discerning the difference between RCA and component. While the difference between component and HDMI is not nearly as drastic, why not get the slightly better PQ if you can?

Tom Bombadil said:
On my 942, using my TV, the component connection is better than HDMI, and not by a small margin. Still haven't had a chance to use a 622, which I hear is better.
The 622 is a sweet box (sure helps that it decodes MPEG-4 channels), but I must say for rock-solid, bug-free reliability (with the notable exception of your hell forged 942) the 942 is hard to beat.

When you first sign up for Dish, can you tell them what receiver you would like, and if so, whats the best HD receiver from dish delivers the best quality? whats the difference between MPEG-4 and MPEG-2 or whatever else there is?

Thanks

NitrousGT said:
When you first sign up for Dish, can you tell them what receiver you would like, and if so, whats the best HD receiver from dish delivers the best quality? whats the difference between MPEG-4 and MPEG-2 or whatever else there is?

Thanks
Request 622 and you will be able to receive Dish channels, regardless of what MPEG they are. :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)