Dish High Speed Internet for snowbirds - folks who migrate between two residences

soulcages01

Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
I have been trying for the past 3-4 months to check if Dish Network can handle "snowbird accounts." My mother & father-in-law have two residences, one in Texas during the winter/spring, and one in Michigan during the summer/fall.

They live in the sticks (at both homes) and satellite is their sole option for high speed internet. They are very interested in getting Dish, but there is only one problem. I recall contacting Dish to ask if they could turn off service at one address after 6 months, and re-enable it at a second address for the remaining 6. I can't recall the exact reason why, but Dish Network told me they can't support DishNet High Speed Internet at two residences for folks who migrate during the winter. Why is this not possible? I am sure snowbirds provide a significant portion of your business, I would hope that you can come up with a solution for this. There is a lot of revenue potential for your company if you get this figured out.

They migrate their Dish receiver to their second home with no issues. If it works with TV it seems logical that the HSI could be transferred as well, and turned off at one home and turned on at the other.

I am hoping someone from Dish can comment on this post.

Thanks.

I have been trying for the past 3-4 months to check if Dish Network can handle "snowbird accounts." My mother & father-in-law have two residences, one in Texas during the winter/spring, and one in Michigan during the summer/fall.

They live in the sticks (at both homes) and satellite is their sole option for high speed internet. They are very interested in getting Dish, but there is only one problem. I recall contacting Dish to ask if they could turn off service at one address after 6 months, and re-enable it at a second address for the remaining 6. I can't recall the exact reason why, but Dish Network told me they can't support DishNet High Speed Internet at two residences for folks who migrate during the winter. Why is this not possible? I am sure snowbirds provide a significant portion of your business, I would hope that you can come up with a solution for this. There is a lot of revenue potential for your company if you get this figured out.

They migrate their Dish receiver to their second home with no issues. If it works with TV it seems logical that the HSI could be transferred as well, and turned off at one home and turned on at the other.

I am hoping someone from Dish can comment on this post.

Thanks.

Dishnet is the label used for satellite internet that dish provides. However it is delivered by 2 seperate sources for service depending on area (think of dish as a middle man between the actual provider and the customer). With 3 different (or more) equipment options depending on area. Viasat and Hughsnet are the 2 service providers. Hughes is the one with more than one equipment option (from what I have heard). Which means as simplified as I can make it.

Even though Dishnet is one name, depending on the area only certain services cover certain areas. So as an example (cause I don't know specifics) if in the summer location they were set up with the Hughes service it may not service their winter location , they may need the Viasat service.

So needing two sets of HSI equipment for one account that must be turned on and off every time there is a relocation will not work.

Plus just so you know each location requires a specific code to input into the modem for different reqions. So relocating the modem is much more difficult with internet than it is for TV. Plus the developers of the HSI equipment will not allow a customer to install their own service. (Moving modem from one location to another).

So with the current system 2 seperate locations on one service account is not feasible. But maybe it will be in the future.

If HSI is that important then maybe carrying 2 seperate accounts all year would be your best bet. Just changing service levels while away so your bill isn't so high. (Still a quit expensive option).

Hope this helps some.

Is SPRINT available in both locations. I use their MIFI broadcast it is a wifi system using a receiver smaller than most cell phones. Just take the MIFI unit with you it is even battery powered so it can be used on the road.

Oh I believe it starts at $39.95.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)