Dish Home Protection Plan Questions

hometheaterman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
I did a search but it brought up 12 pages. I clicked on a few threads and didn't see answers so I figured I'd post here since I don't have time to read through all 12 pages of threads.
Anyway, I called Dish today to ask about the DHPP as I was considering adding it. The lady seemed confused about the questions I asked her and I couldn't get very good answers. She tried to answer it with something irrelevant.
I figured you guys probably know.

Anyway, my questions are. She told me service calls are $29.99 instead of $99.99 if you have the DHPP. Now what about if you need to have a receiver replaced? Since they usually just mail them out under warranty do you pay $29.99 or do you pay something else? I wouldn't need a service call for something like that. Do I have to pay shipping on the receiver?

My other question is since I own all of my Dish Network equipment if I ever have to have something replaced like my receiver will I also own the one it's replaced with or will they replace it with a leased one? She told me leased one at first but seemed confused and explained to me what leased vs own meant. I then explained to her that I owned all of my equipment so then she told me oh it would be replaced and I would still own it. Since I got both answers here which one is correct? If I have it replaced will I own the replacement too?

What would the replacement be if my 501 ever crashed? I like it since it's for a bedroom and has no DVR free right now. The other receiver is a 722 which of course has the DVR fee.

Also do they give you new or refurbished stuff? Pretty sure I know the answer her but just checking.

Thanks guys.

Most here do not regularly subscribe to DHPP. It is common practice to call and add it if there is a problem, then cancel it after it is resolved. Regarding owning, you own it. If it goes bad, it's your problem if not under warranty. That's why 90% of us lease. There is no good reason to own these days unless it's to have more receivers than dish will lease. You could start to lease at that point, paying the going rate, and locking yourself into a new two year contract. Yes, replacements are usually refurbs, but not always.

Most here do not regularly subscribe to DHPP. It is common practice to call and add it if there is a problem, then cancel it after it is resolved.

Very true. This really makes little sense for their business to allow this but it is doable and there are never any questions asked.

It depends on what equipment you have on your account. If your capable of fixing your own system then the $29 service calls mean nothing and all the DHPP is doing is FREE advanced exchange.

They would send you a replacement unit for your 501 or 508. If they do not have sufficient inventory you may get a model 510

So since I own the receivers if I have a issue even if I have DHPP it wont cover them since I own them not lease them? Is that what you are saying?

Seems like the reason for DHPP would be to cover them after the warranty is up.

That's basically how I feel. I don't need the $29 service call as I can't think of anything I'd need a service call for. The only time since it was installed I've had them out was to install my Dish 1000 and that's only because they offered it for free but I had to let them install it. I tried to get them to ship it to me and let me install it but they wouldn't do that so I just let them come install it instead of me paying for it.

So does anyone know if this covers my owned boxes?

Yes

1. Coverage: A "Covered Product" or "Product" shall refer to DISH Network Direct Broadcast Satellite ("DBS") video hardware. The Plan covers all DISH Network DBS video hardware purchased or leased by the customer ("You" or "Your") that is activated on Your DISH Network programming account and is installed at Your residential location. Your residence must be in an area where You can legally receive DBS transmissions from a DISH Network satellite. The Covered Product will be restored to normal condition after it has failed during normal single-family household use.
DISH Network - Support - Dish Home Protection Plan