Dish hookup w/ 2 receivers

agibby5

Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
I just got my dish network equipment installed today. I am happy with the service but not with the placement of my receivers (dvr625 and 322). The contractors placed them where they recommended but i'm not happy with it.

I currently have the dvr in my room and its second tuner is powering the two tv's downstairs. The tv's downstairs share the second tuner. The remote doesnt work all the time downstairs. Which is the main problem.

I have a 322 in the next bedroom and its second tuner is powering the tv in the living room. I'd like to power my room and the next bedroom w/ the 322. i'd like to have the 625 power the living room and the two tv's below it in the family room. the installers said that in order to change it all around i'd have to have them come out a second time. I dont want to be billed again.

Could i make these changes myself?

Each tuner has a diplexer hooked up to it. They were mentioning that the tv's without a receiver are "back feeds".

Also, they said their decision to place the receivers was because of a phone jack. Do these receivers have to be plugged in?

Those are dual tuner receivers, if they are not continuously plugged into a phone line you will be charged a $4.99/mo. fee per receiver. Call DISH and complain about the remote not working and I bet you will get a free service call to correct the problem.

Is the wiring so complicated that it cannot be redone without calling the installers? Not only do I want the receivers moved because the remotes dont work downstairs but I also don't like the rooms that they put them in.

Yes the wiring can be complicated if you dont have experience with cabling and the equipment used. You can try loosening the antenna on the 625 and rotating it left or right to improve its reception, another thing you can do is get a 6 foot jumper coax from radio shack and a barrel connector to extend the antenna out from the receiver. This needs to be done from time to time due to interferance in the vicinity of the receiver, there is also a way to use 2 splitters to relocate the antenna to the remote tv, you would need a 2 2 way splitter and 3 1 foot coax jumpers to do this.

The jumper from tuner two will be atached to one side of the 2 way splitters out ports, the second jumper will be atached to the uhf antenna's port and go to the other splitters out port, the third jumper will go from the splitters in port to the uhf port on the diplexer. At one of the tv's downstairs you will need to put the splitter on the end of the coax line thats atached to that tv and make sure that the coax line ataches to the in port. You will need to atach your last coax jumper to one out port on the splitter and run it to the tv, on the other out port you will place the antenna from the 625 wich will extend the range of your antenna and hopefully correct your remote issue.

Credit for the above goes to SimpleSimon for explaining it to me.

Thanks for the reply! I will try this in the morning. What I did try was just relocating the 322 receiver upstairs to the living room from the comptuer room. The 322 wasnt able to get a satellite signal on teh other tv. I guess this is because they are the "back feeds"? Thanks for your advice. I will post results tomorrow.

Van said:
Yes the wiring can be complicated if you dont have experience with cabling and the equipment used. You can try loosening the antenna on the 625 and rotating it left or right to improve its reception, another thing you can do is get a 6 foot jumper coax from radio shack and a barrel connector to extend the antenna out from the receiver. This needs to be done from time to time due to interferance in the vicinity of the receiver, there is also a way to use 2 splitters to relocate the antenna to the remote tv, you would need a 2 2 way splitter and 3 1 foot coax jumpers to do this.

The jumper from tuner two will be atached to one side of the 2 way splitters out ports, the second jumper will be atached to the uhf antenna's port and go to the other splitters out port, the third jumper will go from the splitters in port to the uhf port on the diplexer. At one of the tv's downstairs you will need to put the splitter on the end of the coax line thats atached to that tv and make sure that the coax line ataches to the in port. You will need to atach your last coax jumper to one out port on the splitter and run it to the tv, on the other out port you will place the antenna from the 625 wich will extend the range of your antenna and hopefully correct your remote issue.

Credit for the above goes to SimpleSimon for explaining it to me.

I'm confused by your explaination... sorry. Is there a way you could clarify?

Agibby, not trying to be too harsh here, but my question is why did you let them put the equipment where you did not want it? Careful with trying to rewire everything, if you mess it up too bad and then call for service, you may get the old addage that you voided the warranty by trying to fix everything yourself. I would try calling dish and see if they would send a tech out to relocate the units for you. The sad thing is, they will probaby tell you that you signed off on the job. This is why I always recommend to people that they use a local dealer or retailer and try to get a site survey prior to installation, everything is agreed upon prior to installation. I always visit with the customer at their house prior to selling a system, no suprises for me and they know EXACTLY what the installation will involve.

wobbie

you're not being too harsh at all... I just wasnt informed about what EXACTLY was going on during the install. They asked me what rooms I wanted to have powered by the 625 and what rooms by the 322. I told them and they went outside to do the dish install. They came back inside and asked where the phone jacks were at and I told them... They put the receivers where they THOUGHT they were best. At the beginning, I was under the assumption that they were bringing 4 receivers, one per room...(influenced by my previous experience w/ Direct tv a couple years ago). When they were installing the receivers i mentioned that i didnt like the rooms that they were going in. THe installers said "well, we already ran the COAX... The "back feeds" are downstairs and the receivers are going upstairs in the two bedrooms." End of story.

Call DIsh and complain. They will send them back out to fix it. If the installers gives you any trouble send him on his way and call Dish again.

As a DNSC tech that is not the way to take care of a customer. We go over every part of the install before doing anything. They should have told you how they were going to do the install first. If they need phone lines in the other locations they can install them (there will be a charge for the phone install).

Call Dish before you mess things up.

Agibby, iof your coax is all "home ran" to a central distribution point, it should'nt be too difficult to switch the rooms that the revievers are in and back fed to. the receivers do need to be continuosly coneccted to a phone line or Dish will charge the a $4.99 additional outlet fee for each reciever that is not. Have you any idea how the coax is ran?? I'm guessing you called an 800# or bought the system thru the internet. Don't get me wrong.. I have had Dish for the last three years and would never go back to cable or anything else. I just hate the idea of people ordering service via the internet or 800# and end up having a bad experience with the installation. Keep us posted if you call Dish as to what they say. Just curious... where are you located???

wobbie,

There are two coax cables running to the receivers in the bedrooms. there is another coax running around the house to the other side where it comes into the basement to back feed the other three locations (two are mirror images) via a three way splitter. they start out at a box where the cables from the satellite dishes enter. there is a two way splitter and two diplexers in that box.

i ordered the dish service from the 1-800 number.

gibby

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)