Dish Hopper Black screen then rebooting?

chapin4life

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
Hi guys

I just noticed this the past two days, all of a sudden I'm watching something then the screen turns black and after about 30 seconds the hopper reboots. I'm not getting any error messages

This usually is happening within an hour or two.

Any suggestions?

Is the fan on the left side supposed to be running at all times or just boot up?

I opened up the receiver and noticed the left side fan is not working

Is the fan on the left side supposed to be running at all times or just boot up?

It's temperature-controlled. Probably didn't run with the case opened since it has more airflow than it ever would.

Close it back up and when it gets hot shine a flash light at the fan and see if it's turning. If you can't get a light at it touch the fan with a toothpick and you'll know if it's running or not. :)

I would suggest, get a compressed air s p r a y and clean out the dirt. I remember doing that with the vip922 and it was quiet back again. I had opened up and removed all the dust.

Nobody else wants to troubleshoot it? Are you up for some t/s at all? It may be said too often, but most hopper issues are still caused in the cabling.

Too late at night for t/s. If you can, at least check that your cabling to the hopper (anywhere you can see it) says "swept to 3ghz" and any barrels in-line are blue.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

But that shouldn't cause it to reboot. I agree that if it's getting too hot, it would cause rebooting. Check the temp of the hopper in the menu, settings, network, tests, counters(i think) I'd say if the average temp is above 120° then you should think about trying to keep it cool. Try a USB powered laptop fan to sit under it..

Have you checked your Hopper temps in View Counters? Use your remote and press Yellow - Blue - 3, select View Counters tab, and then press Page Down arrow 12 times and take a look at your HDD High, Low, and Average Temps.

thanks for the help guys I bought a Cooler Master Notepal X-Slim Notebook and the hopper hasn't rebooted.

I guess it was overheating

HDD High Temp 114F
HDD low Temp 84F
HDD Average temp 107F

Attachments

• coolmaster.jpg
    coolmaster.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 320
My HWS is rebooting about 4 hours after I turn it on. My high temp is 118, low, is 107, average is 117. I have always had a small fan blowing on the HWS from the side. It usually happens twice each night that it happens, which is not every night. What would be an unacceptable high temp. It has all the systems of overheating. I have only had my HWS since March 2014.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)