DISH Hopper coming at CES ?

High Level Assumptions

I think your "typical viewing" is over stated. First you have to have households with more than three TVs, then of those households that have two or more kids of different age groups, and of those households that have kids of both sexes.

Not that there aren't homes that fit the scenario, but as a percentage of ALL households out there it is pretty small. Dish may well have looked at production costs vs households likely to need over three tuners would be needed and decided two 813s is an acceptable solution over having all installations get a 5 tuner box. Don't forget a hopper/joey combo is likely less expensive for Dish than a 722/211 or even a 612/211 combo. Even more so when factoring in install costs.

UVerse has been successful and they max out at 3HD/1SD streams with no option to go beyond.

I am also assuming Dish, it there typical way, will NOT allow more than One Hopper to be leased, you will have to buy the 2nd one at a very large cost (guessing over $600 like in the past)

Not sure that is a good assumption. I'm assuming a Joey will be priced at $7 the same as a 211. 1st Hopper will probably be "included" as the primary receiver. DVR fee will probably be $10 (like the 922) vs the current $6. (This is all 100% conjecture.)

Production costs for the 813 are probably not much different than a 722. They just need to find a balance in the fees to discourage folks getting two Hoppers for the hell of it and not running off too many accounts that need it. If they can get an extra $10 or so month for a second one, then it is a pretty good deal for Dish. I can see it being tied to a minimum number of TVs as well - two 813s for two TVs might not qualify, but four or five TVs with the supporting Joey fees would.

D* and the HR34 should help keep things in line.

I think I said somewhere else that I don't think the 813 will be the of the line. An "815" would be a relative minor, incremental next model IF they have a stable 813.

Another large advantage of this tech (for Dish) is that it would cut down on account stacking. Unless you lived next door, it is really hard to share the account. They could even make a second 813 hopper have to see the primary one on the network or not work. This might encourage agressive pricing on the joey side since they know you are not going to be handing them out to friends/relatives to "save on cable". Dish could even allow sale of joeys without monthly fees, they do not have to worry about them being used for account stacking.

Another large advantage of this tech (for Dish) is that it would cut down on account stacking. Unless you lived next door, it is really hard to share the account. They could even make a second 813 hopper have to see the primary one on the network or not work. This might encourage agressive pricing on the joey side since they know you are not going to be handing them out to friends/relatives to "save on cable". Dish could even allow sale of joeys without monthly fees, they do not have to worry about them being used for account stacking.

I some how think that the additional receiver fees were never really about account stacking ,but more about extra revenue for DISH. This is the reason why they jacked them up so high on the additional receiver fees back in 2010. Why else would then go up so much on the dual tuner dvr fees from $7.00 - $17.00. It wasn't about stacking, it was about extra $$$ for profit to the bottom line. This is the reason why DISH has continued to show HUGE profits ever year ,even though they continue to lose subs each quarter. How many years has DISH been stuck around 13 million subs again? This why I don't forsee them selling the Joey units for FREE and instead charging them for at least $7.00 per unit . They aren't going to leave any "money on the table" as Charlie said years ago when he started to charge a Dvr fee PER dvr receiver, after first advertisng NO Fee pvrs on the 501/508/721 series of Pvr receivers back in early 2000's.

I some how think that the additional receiver fees were never really about account stacking ,but more about extra revenue for DISH. This is the reason why they jacked them up so high on the additional receiver fees back in 2010. Why else would then go up so much on the dual tuner dvr fees from $7.00 - $17.00. It wasn't about stacking, it was about extra $$$ for profit to the bottom line. This is the reason why DISH has continued to show HUGE profits ever year ,even though they continue to lose subs each quarter. How many years has DISH been stuck around 13 million subs again? This why I don't forsee them selling the Joey units for FREE and instead charging them for at least $7.00 per unit . They aren't going to leave any "money on the table" as Charlie said years ago when he started to charge a Dvr fee PER dvr receiver, after first advertisng NO Fee pvrs on the 501/508/721 series of Pvr receivers back in early 2000's.

It's probably not much different than the expensive cell phone contracts (subsidized by the provider). They are probably looking at getting their money back in a couple of years, cover the TIVO royalty and then jack it around a bit to match the competition.

I do wonder what kind of agreement they struck with TIVO. The Hopper may drop the effective royalty big time, if it is based on the DVR and not the number of tv's streamed by the the recorder. Or was it a flat fixed fee for global use?

If you have AAD distants( east and west) and no locals , how will the all primetime work. I RV 1/2 of the year. The other 1/2 I have SD only locals. So will i not be able to get HD locals ever???

Even dropping the service plan eliminates the grandfathering.

Anything that would make a w/o on the account. Programming changes are the big one. But if you schedule a tech it can cause it to be put on. If you call in and an agent hits the wrong thing it will prompt it to be added and a vast majority of agents aren't going to know how to stop it or remove after it is added.

OUCH! I'll have to be VERY careful.

Thank you.

It may work but is not supported by Dish for archiving. But I don't mean archiving anyway. I would want the Hopper to record directly to a RAID array, either built-in or customer supplied add on.

I'm not sure we are understanding each other. If the Hopper will record directly to an EHD, and it will, then it will record directly to a hardware based RAID array. Are you saying you want a software based RAID solution provided by Dish?

I'm not sure we are understanding each other. If the Hopper will record directly to an EHD, and it will, then it will record directly to a hardware based RAID array. Are you saying you want a software based RAID solution provided by Dish?

Do we know it will record directly to the EHD? I had not read that, none of my current devices will (722, 622, 612). If it does will it also do so with the regular network stuff that is being recorded with Primetime Anytime? Will a raid device be officially supported? I don't believe they are today.

My concern with this device is having one large disk as a single point of failure. I've lost disks in Dish DVRs in the past. One time I lost full seasons of 5-6 different shows I hadn't watched yet. I currently record some shows on multiple DVRs because of that possibility. Sure, I could aggressively archive but I don't want to take the time to do it.

Do we know it will record directly to the EHD? I had not read that, none of my current devices will (722, 622, 612). If it does will it also do so with the regular network stuff that is being recorded with Primetime Anytime? Will a raid device be officially supported? I don't believe they are today.

My concern with this device is having one large disk as a single point of failure. I've lost disks in Dish DVRs in the past. One time I lost full seasons of 5-6 different shows I hadn't watched yet. I currently record some shows on multiple DVRs because of that possibility. Sure, I could aggressively archive but I don't want to take the time to do it.

AHHH! The key word is "directly." Sorry I missed that. I was seeing it as recording/copying from the DVR directly to the EHD. You clearly, in retrospect, meant from tuner to EHD.

Your second paragraph is why I have a RAID array for the most important stuff. I find it very quick and easy to move programming from DVR to EHD and back. Sometimes I just set it to do it overnight, but there's really no noticeable performance hit for doing it while watching.

AHHH! The key word is "directly." Sorry I missed that. I was seeing it as recording/copying from the DVR directly to the EHD. You clearly, in retrospect, meant from tuner to EHD.

Your second paragraph is why I have a RAID array for the most important stuff. I find it very quick and easy to move programming from DVR to EHD and back. Sometimes I just set it to do it overnight, but there's really no noticeable performance hit for doing it while watching.

I'm hoping for a solution that won't require manual intervention.

Other than that, and probably $$, Hopper and Joey would be a great solution for us. Just me and my wife but we regularly watch HD shows at four different locations around the house so I have four DVRs. A cheaper solution would be great.

I would not get my hopes up too much for things like pricing to be announced at CES. I can see Dish delaying any pricing news until they are ready to ship for competative reasons. Only thing I would hope Scott & co can get are technical specs. All the hardware questions may be answered. If they follow previous Dish patterns we will not see pricing and probably shipping until after their dealers convention in May time frame.

LOL, seems Scott is only a rumor monger according to "the other site"

"I would say according rumors at sg site ... for sure he don't have it in his hands nor have direct contact with developers. As to marketing ppl who are perhaps feeding him, those ppl are last to know what real device can do in particular version."
DISH Hopper coming at CES ? - Page 2 - DBSTalk.Com

If I am a rumor mongrel then why is everything I posted on the hopper 100% accurate We will see tomorrow :)

I am confident in my sources while they don't have any so they need to act like the grumpy old men they are and call me names all with no real satellite information of their own to share.

Kind of sad actually.

Another thing I find sad is the only info they have about the hopper is what they have lifted from our site, they are so scummy they can't even give credit from where they get their info from... It's called professional courtesy, I don't mind at all giving them credit for the great directv work they do.

And another thing if I am such a rumor mongrel when they repost my news why do they report it like its gospel? Guess my rumors ate not that bad are they? ;)

I am here where it's all happening and I MAY have a Hopper in my hands in about an hour. Again where are they?

There is a reason why we have over 2000 people online here now and they only have 700. Think about, there is a reason why we are known as Americas Datellite Information source! (including dbstalks!) :D

I'm hoping for a solution that won't require manual intervention.

Other than that, and probably $$, Hopper and Joey would be a great solution for us. Just me and my wife but we regularly watch HD shows at four different locations around the house so I have four DVRs. A cheaper solution would be great.

I don't think the content providers will ever allow backup copies, only moves. I figure the chances of losing both units in my RAID at the same time are pretty remote.

Here is Hopper :)

Attachments

• image-101876841.png
    image-101876841.png
    229 KB · Views: 241
LOL, and if you loved that Scott, you will love this!
Seems P Smith isn't a big fan...

Originally Posted by Slamminc11
I would take his "rumors" and connections over yours any day!

Good for you!
I'm not the showman who attract ppl by rumors to his site to generate own superego; my targets - technicalities what could be verified and cannot be rumors when you use these.
DBSTalk.Com - View Single Post - DISH Hopper coming at CES ?

Any word on NY RSN's from CES?

Sling adapter is only playing live TV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)