DISH Hopper coming at CES ?

There is a question on what been I've been beaten recently: how that SOLO NODE box translate 3 bands (500 MHz each) from two DPP coaxes (from antenna) to _one_ coax feeding _three_ sat tuners of XiP813 ?

There is a question on what been I've been beaten recently: how that SOLO NODE box translate 3 bands (500 MHz each) from two DPP coaxes (from antenna) to _one_ coax feeding _three_ sat tuners of XiP813 ?
Elfin Magic.

4297124624_49c842f667_z.jpg

Scott -
Very well done. The content was great and the production was well done. I really appreciate you covering the dish stuff for us. Will send an extra contribution to the site shortly. I know that doesn't do much buy every little bit counts right. :)

Thanks, I had good camera people. :) Cameras were run by Dfergie and Bobabird. :)

I have more video still to import and edit including a Q&A with Vivek and a brief interview with DISH CEO Joe Clayton.

That one video took me almost 7 hours to import, stabilize, encode (in 1080p) upload to Youtube, then re encode again in 720p as Youtube wouldn't accept the 1080p video since it was larger then 2GB in size. The upload to Youtube again then wait for them to process and post the video.

Stay Tuned!

DPP tech can feed 2 tuners with one drop via the DPP diplexer (like the 622/722/922 do now), so 2 drops from the switch in theory could supply 4 tuners. Essentially DPP only feeds 1/2 the satellite to the tuner (even or odd as requested) and the other tuners gets 1/2 of a satellite (even or odd). That is how they fit DPP on one cable.

The non DP days used to have a switch to pick if you wanted odd or even on the cable. DP changed that by sending all the satellite down the cable at once by band stacking the even and odd. Then came DPP when they realized there was no need to send the entire satellite down, they could send the even from 110 for example and band stack it with the even from 129 if requested. This way 2 tuners could get what they want.

One assumes that the new cable probably uses some lower frequencies on the cable to feed the third satellite stream, making it incompatible with OTA diplexing.

One of the features I like about my Tivo S3 is that I can programatically record podcast such as CNET for latter viewing.

Does the hopper have anything like that?

Last edited:
Any word if you can still diplex cable modem signal on the same coax as the sat signal to the hopper? I remember you asked back at team summit but wanted to make sure Taft was still true. Thanks.

Any word if you can still diplex cable modem signal on the same coax as the sat signal to the hopper? I remember you asked back at team summit but wanted to make sure Taft was still true. Thanks.

While it MAY work the official answer is NO since they have no control what frequencies your cable company uses to send its signal.

Scott Greczkowski said:
While it MAY work the official answer is NO since they have no control what frequencies your cable company uses to send its signal.

I had a feeling. I guess I will give it a shot at the time and if it doesnt work I will be pulling a new line. Thanks.

I vote with Smith, P on this one (and against Scott, Navychop, and JM42), since he has examined the chipset via Echostar's FCC docs. Plus my own experience. Virtually all motherboards I have seen in the last 5 or so years include dual GigE LAN ports with no exatra piece of hardware to act as a switch OR a hub. Yes, that would be cheap to add, but not as cheap as the plain vanilla LAN port chip all by itself. The dual ports on PC motherboards are either to hook up to multiple LANs, or to channel bond and double bandwidth, not to bridge two networks. That function could be done in software as Smith says, if Dish really needed to do that. But why bother? It's more likely (my speculation) there for a private LAN to a second Hopper, which could be affected with a single dirt-cheap crossover cable.

Last edited:
That could be. Maybe a scenario where one ethernet port is for internet connectivity and the other could act as an alternate hookup to a Joey box via Cat5 cable rather than coax???

I would love that to be the case since I'm 5E throughout the house and not RG59. :p But Scott says "No," it must be coax.

Can the tuner that is being used to record all of the prime time shows, be used to watch the shows as it is recording them? Say two of the Joey's are watching cable channels, then can we switch between the major network channels on the hopper?

:( I must have missed that. Would be great for all those folks with network ready homes that didn't want to pull coax everywhere. If it isn't a hardware limitation maybe it could be added on later? Wishful thinking I guess.

Forgot to respond to TG2's (and to some extent Scott's) rant over the BBMP tiled menu on the Hopper/Joey. Yes, there are only 9 movies/shows listed, as opposed to 6 on our SD menus. And on both our VIP boxes and the XIP boxes this does take excessive button presses to get to where you're going. But scrolling on our VIP boxes is painfully slow (why is that?), while on the XIP boxes it's rather zippy. So in my case I'd much prefer the zippy tiles to the molasses icons on my VIP boxes.

I love the UI on the 922. It really is not that hard navigating through the menus or guide. It's rather enjoyable actually. You really shouldn't make it your deciding factor.

TheKrell said:
I vote with Smith, P on this one (and against Scott, Navychop, and JM42), since he has examined the chipset via Echostar's FCC docs. Plus my own experience.

You would be wrong. I talked this over with Mark Jackson and he explained it to me that most people only have one Ethernet cable in their living rooms do this allows them to plug the cable into the box and then loop out for plugging into your Xbox or bluray player.

I would trust Mark he is the president of the company. And I don't think he would make up a reason why they put two Ethernet ports on the box.

rapidturtle said:
Can the tuner that is being used to record all of the prime time shows, be used to watch the shows as it is recording them? Say two of the Joey's are watching cable channels, then can we switch between the major network channels on the hopper?

Yes you can watch live network channels as they are being recorded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts