DISH Hopper coming at CES ?

Video retweeted from @dishuser and link added to the EKB. Great presentation!

Scherrman said:
How exactly does this Moca bridge work? Does it need to be connected to the internet?
The Hopper needs an internet connection to access some of the advanced features. If there's no connection in the room it's in, you can instead connect to a MoCA Bridge and get internet to the Hopper over the coax. The bridge has an Ethernet port and coax ports for Home Video Network and Pass-Through. I haven't seen how it all gets connected together.

In the 2 or 3 different threads about Hopper/Joey, it would seem that the 2 units communicate via the coax (MOCA) only. Can this be confirmed? I see the Hopper has 2 RJ45 Ethernet ports? What do they do? What about homeplug? Does it happen to have WiFi?

My 12 year old house only has coax in the family room and master bedroom. Homeplug works great, an WiFi works decent. The need for coax may be a show stopper for me; unless the package works so well I'm willing to drop Coax into the other rooms, in a 2 story house.

Miner

Perhaps you can use phone/ethernet wire instead? Adapt coax ends on the ends of the phone/ethernet wires distributed throughout newer homes?

....Really can't wait but how will it connect to a 722/622 setup
I can get rid of both of them for this one unit and i think i will lose that second DVR fee?.....

It won't. Totally different. You have a choice, in home: ViP setup, or Hopper. Not both. Hardware incompatibilities.

...I would think this is the least likely option, but the two Cat5 ports on the Hopper would suggest there may be some switch or hub circuitry already in the box, bridging would not be a big jump.
I would bet for full price of the XiP813, there is none of such hub/switch inside of it. Check FCC pictures of its PCBA.

It won't. Totally different. You have a choice, in home: ViP setup, or Hopper. Not both. Hardware incompatibilities.

Hum, i'm using two VIPs just to keep up with all the recording I do and If I can get the same done with 1 unit fine by me.

I just hope it's not so damn expensive I have to wait for a price drop for upgrades.

I would bet for full price of the XiP813, there is none of such hub/switch inside of it. Check FCC pictures of its PCBA.

If it's for "pass through" like Scott says, which would be my first assumption, then there has to be at least some minimal "hub" circuitry in somewhere in the box, you can't just "split" the "incoming" cat 5.

Nice video. The Hopper looks like a great device. Of course coming from a pair of 322s anything new is an improvement. One thing that really stands out is the speed when scrolling and changing channels. I cant wait. Hopefully the costs will be reasonable.

Any chance you'll be able to control a Joey from another room in the house? I recently added a screened in porch and have an HDMI run through the attic from my den where I have a 612. That way I never have to bring a receiver out on the porch . Only a small tv that I can carry out when I need it and can control the receiver from outside.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts