DISH Hopper coming at CES ?

I figured there would be an "event conflict" pop up to warn of this type of thing when using 2 hoppers.

How does the Hopper with Joey compare with the whole home dvr solutions from Uverse, FiOs and cable?

AT&T Uverse uses a similar set up. You have one host box that is the DVR, and "satellite" boxes that all talk to the host box to get their service.

Last that I have seen both FiOS and cable just connect multiple boxes together to allow you access your recordings on multiple TVs.

In a system with two Hoppers, do the two Hoppers work together as one. When you pull up your recordings on one Hopper, do you see the recordings of the other in the same list?

Do we know how many Joeys you have to have before getting a second Hopper? Two Hoppers and one Joey would meet my needs (once OTA USB support is enabled).

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

dustinw82 said:
In a system with two Hoppers, do the two Hoppers work together as one. When you pull up your recordings on one Hopper, do you see the recordings of the other in the same list?
Yes they say it's seamless. ;)

AT&T Uverse uses a similar set up. You have one host box that is the DVR, and "satellite" boxes that all talk to the host box to get their service.

Last that I have seen both FiOS and cable just connect multiple boxes together to allow you access your recordings on multiple TVs.

Thanks Jason

dangue said:
Do we know how many Joeys you have to have before getting a second Hopper? Two Hoppers and one Joey would meet my needs (once OTA USB support is enabled).

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I am guessing that if you want to rent the second hopper you can no matter how many joeys you have. Some people may just want two hoppers and no joeys and I think that may doable.

I am guessing that if you want to rent the second hopper you can no matter how many joeys you have. Some people may just want two hoppers and no joeys and I think that may doable.

I would prefer to stack two Hoppers in the same location (equipment room in my basement). Was there too much heat coming out the top to do this?

This system is interesting, but I'm quite happy with my two ViP722s, both in solo mode. If need be, I can run one in dual mode to feed a 36" SDTV my visiting in-laws use. Four satellite tuners, nice. At least once we had to make hard choices and miss something, but that's rare. Yep, this is just fine for us.

Even though I really need to set aside some time to move all of a series onto a single EHD out of the four or five I have. Somehow they've gotten spread out. Be nice if I could just plug 'em all in and see a consolidated list.

Excuse me a moment.

"Yes, dear?"
-"Whaw Whaw Whaw" (think adults in Charlie Brown's world here.)
"Will this solve the problem of not being able to watch a live sat broadcast while two sat recordings are in progress? Well, yes, you saw the same video I did. Picked up on that, did you? Well, that happens so rarely...."
-"WHAW WHAW WHAW"
"Yes, dear. All the time for you and your visiting parents, eh? Well, dropping to 3 sat tuners from 4....."
-"WHAW WHAW WHAW"
"Yes, dear, a second Hopper would fix that, and a trip to the far end of the attic for a little cable swapping. But we don't know how much a second ......"
-"WHAW WHAW WHAW"
"Well, yes, dear. It is supposed to be priced VERY competitively. $5 a month would be a no brainer, but $50 a month would ...."
-"WHAW WHAW WHAW"
"Yes, dear. I'll let you know as soon as I find out."

Hey, you know what, guys? Maybe I should look this over again, especially after they get the OTA modules and manual timers going and a few others have taken the first few arrows. Anybody know if a solo or duo node will withstand high summer temps in an attic? Just askin, you know, just curious......... :eek:

Last edited:
This system is interesting, but I'm quite happy with my two ViP722s, both in solo mode. If need be, I can run one in dual mode to feed a 36" SDTV my visiting in-laws use. Four satellite tuners, nice. At least once we had to make hard choices and miss something, but that's rare. Yep, this is just fine for us.

Even though I really need to set aside some time to move all of a series onto a single EHD out of the four or five I have. Somehow they've gotten spread out. Be nice if I could just plug 'em all in and see a consolidated list.

Excuse me a moment.

"Yes, dear?"
-"Whaw Whaw Whaw" (think adults in Charlie Brown's world here.)
"Will this solve the problem of not being able to watch a live sat broadcast while two sat recordings are in progress? Well, yes, you saw the same video I did. Picked up on that, did you? Well, that happens so rarely...."
-"WHAW WHAW WHAW"
"Yes, dear. All the time for you and your visiting parents, eh? Well, dropping to 3 sat tuners from 4....."
-"WHAW WHAW WHAW"
"Yes, dear, a second Hopper would fix that, and a trip to the far end of the attic for a little cable swapping. But we don't know how much a second ......"
-"WHAW WHAW WHAW"
"Well, yes, dear. It is supposed to be priced VERY competitively. $5 a month would be a no brainer, but $50 a month would ...."
-"WHAW WHAW WHAW"
"Yes, dear. I'll let you know as soon as I find out."

Hey, you know what, guys? Maybe I should look this over again, especially after they get the OTA modules and manual timers going and a few others have taken the first few arrows. Anybody know if a solo or duo node will withstand high summer temps in an attic? Just askin, you know, just curious......... :eek:

I really enjoyed the Charlie Brown reference. LOL

I guessing 2 hoppers and 4 joeys.

That is pretty much my thinking.
Standard setup for most 1 hopper & 2 joeys to = 3 tuners for live TV on all 3.
Or 2 hoppers & 4 joeys, not to exceed the amount that can be viewed live at different locations unless purchased.
+ based on the current promotions of 6 TV's I foresee that model being advertised, but then again this is all speculation & dish will have the final word.

Hey guys I don't know if this question has been asked before but is there a way to actually flag the programs that you really watch on prime time anytime because I watch alot but then you kinda really don't remember what day something is on and what time anymore I'm sure most people don't remember anymore you just go to your DVR and its there and watch it. I Just thought of this I'm actually going to have to remember whats on on Mondays and Tuesdays, etc. just food for thought. I honestly didn't realize until right now how spoiled I have become and how much I rely on dish network to run my television life, I do not intervene with the box unless I have to for some reason, Its so funny that I have become accustomed to the fact that I don't even have to remember when something is on tv LOL.

Last edited:
Hey guys I don't know if this question has been asked before but is there a way to actually flag the programs that you really watch on prime time anytime because I watch alot but then you kinda really don't remember what day something is on and what time anymore I'm sure most people don't remember anymore you just go to your DVR and its there and watch it. I Just thought of this I'm actually going to have to remember whats on on Mondays and Tuesdays, etc. just food for thought. I honestly didn't realize until right now how spoiled I have become and how much I rely on dish network to run my television life, I do not intervene with the box unless I have to for some reason, Its so funny that I have become accustomed to the fact that I don't even have to remember when something is on tv LOL.

From what I have been reading about Prime time is that everything is recorded on the big four networks in prime time 8-11 so all you would have to do is look up the show within eight days and you should be ok :)

If you have not caught it yet, check out the video demonstration Scott has with Dish staff

All you have to do is find your favorites and select the save option and it will prevent your shows from rollingoffthe normal 8 days. That "tile" or folder will also be placed into your dvr area and save like it normally does now. At least,
that was my take from the videos posted.

All you have to do is find your favorites and select the save option and it will prevent your shows from rollingoffthe normal 8 days. That "tile" or folder will also be placed into your dvr area and save like it normally does now. At least,
that was my take from the videos posted.
Yes, but I believe the question is, do you have to do it manually each week for each episode you want to save, or can you set up a recurring "timer" for specific shows to automatically be saved each week? If I'm on vacation for 2 weeks, and I don't have the automatic save option, I will miss one week of episodes.

The engineers need a new job if they expect a customer to save weekly and not get annoyed. I'm almost positive itll bea drop down. Some thing like "save this one event" or "save all future reoccuring events" - something to that nature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)