DISH Hopper coming at CES ?

whitewolf8214 said:
HAVE A GOOD TIME AND SAFE TRIP SCOTT AND WISH I WAS THERE.I CANT WAIT TO HEAR YOUR REVIEW OF THE XIP 813 AT CES AND COMPARED TO THE HR 34 FROM DIRECT TV :) TY FOR ALL YOU DO :)

Exactly. Ty Scott.

about the only posts that arent all caps are the full copy/paste of articles he does (and has been asked to quit doing that too numerous times) :rolleyes:

Can you add more than One OTA turner? I am on the border between Two DMA Markets so I would like Two or more turners.

Question to ask at CES.
Months ago I thought I read you can plug the OTA turns into the Joey boxes, is that still true. How much are the tuners?

An other CES to ask question:

I just checked, my local transponder #11 has ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox **PLUS SD CW, PBS Nebraska and PBS IOWA

QUESTION: will all channels be watchable in the prime time recording? CW and PBS if its on the transponder?

Ha modern? 750 mhz processor is hardly modern imo nothing more than a paperweight wtf these people thinking? They must be saving a ton of money getting these from the dumpsters

Source
CES: Dish Poised To Unveil Wireless Broadband Plans, Multiroom DVR: Reports - 2012-01-05 21:14:06 | Multichannel News

In all likelihood it is a specialized DVR chip. Big difference between that and a run-of-the-mill general purpose computer chip. The latter would have to execute separate software programs to perform DVR functions. The former does not as these functions are wired into the chip itself. It doesn't have to be super fast.

Scott,

Have fun in Las Vegas. You've done a great job this last year so enjoy.
I'm excited about the new box. I'm looking to get HD onto my bedroom TV and between that and the wife maxing out the 2 tuners on my 722 with local prime time programming, a Hopper and Joey may be the best solution. Out here in SD, ATT is pushing their new Uverse wireless box. It adds $7 a month per box, so I'm hopeful Dish can be competetive. Of couse I can add a 211 and make it a DVR, but having a single shared tuner box is the way to go. I've been sharing the output of my dish box to a second TV since 96, and other than lack of HD it works well.
Miner

In all likelihood it is a specialized DVR chip. Big difference between that and a run-of-the-mill general purpose computer chip. The latter would have to execute separate software programs to perform DVR functions. The former does not as these functions are wired into the chip itself. It doesn't have to be super fast.
Many people also don't realize that with it running linux and being dedicated to just a few functions it doesn't need a huge CPU.
Something I'm seeing as a "Big" picture is Dish will be able to in combo with Echostar now be able to offer Sat TV, Sat internet(maybe they have found a way Hughes to be a faster service), & probably ph service too. IOW's bundle everything thru them.

No PIP would be a disappointment for me. Will Dish announce the details at CES?

In reading the user guide for the client, it sates that PIP is NOT available using the client.

However, I would think that PIP would be available on the TV the 813 or (Kangaroo?) Main DVR is connected to.

The situation would be the same with DirecTV's Home Media Center product: PIP in main room, but NOT in other rooms.

So, it seems Joe Clayton is really earning what little money Charlie is paying. Or is Joe getting $30 million a year like his peers?

The SYstem on a CHip that DISH and DIRECTV use are mostly from Broadcom and others and handle all the video processing,demultiplexing and decryption in hardware so that dual HD record and playback don't use much of the cpu (10-15%) on a PC dual HD reccord and playback would use 50% probably of even the most recent chips (Intel is getting better at handing off video decompression to hardware or gpu).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts