DISH HOPPER SPEC SHEETS

IMO, they just want to corral the herd into fewer houses so when they do pull the plug on the ViP line down the road, it will be cheaper and more manageable to swap out.

In terms of codecs and modulation schemes, the VIPs and the Joey/Hopper can handle all the same content.

It's the older receivers (I don't even remember the model #s) that don't support 8PSK or MPEG-4 that are the issue.

In terms of codecs and modulation schemes, the VIPs and the Joey/Hopper can handle all the same content.

It's the older receivers (I don't even remember the model #s) that don't support 8PSK or MPEG-4 that are the issue.
Thanks. Then the comment I saw was misleading, at least to me.

Before these threads, "legacy" referred to non-DishPro receivers with model numbers in the 1000's. In addition to those, the 301 and the 50x series PVRs can't demodulate 8PSK, so they're definitely on the chopping block.

All later receivers can do 8PSK so they should be good to go for awhile. Next to go will be the SD receivers that can't decompress mpeg4 videos. The 411, 922, and all the VIP receivers are fairly future-proof and can handle all signals that the Hopper can with the exception of 3D.

Calling VIP receivers "legacy" violates my tender sensibilities. ;)

I think there are more Hopper models coming down the line. If they come up with a receiver-only model, no DVR, they can replace all the non-ViP models out there and "clean up" WA (& I suspect this will be the next push). Oh, let's call this hypothetical model the "Hopper 211." And with that name, I guess we all understand what happens when that customer wants to upgrade to a DVR. :p

And: "You want another TV? Oh, I see you have our Hopper 211. For another $4 per month Whole Home fee, and $7 per month Joey fee, and $X up front, ........"

Another great thing about a Joey is that it may be more future proof than the Hopper. The reason I say this is that the Hopper has to be cheaper to make without the modulators in them. All Joeys would be able to receive whatever content and technology that future Hoppers may come out with. This means instead of having to swap out all the receivers like they would have had to do in the past, they would just have to swap out the Hoppers. This lowers the cost to Dish and the subs.

The Hoppers must cost less to manufacture since they have no modulators in them (rephrased for those that don't understand).

You could be more technically savvy, posting such notes ... but still use ambiguous words :(

RF modulator (output to 3,4 or high VHF/UHF channel for composite signal)
It has a price of $3.79 per board ordering 1000+.

It was late, could have used better words, was getting tired. Maybe I need to proof read my stuff more.

$3.79 is $3.79. Didn't say that it was a lot cheaper. Every little item adds up. There could be other costs such as getting that modulator board in the receiver. Definitely not enough savings to make up for those Joey's though.

Parts, manufacturing labor, support, another potential point of failure. All add up. Who knows how much, but it's much more than just the cost of the part.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)