722K does not update program guide

jpmarto

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
E. of Seattle
I'm on my second 722k replacement receiver. The first one needed the program guide updated manually every day. Took the new one out of the box Saturday and went through the setup procedure. Unit had 9 days of program guide. Sunday morning (just like the earlier receiver) the guide had about 24 hours of information. No timers were set for when I turned off the TV at 8pm Saturday, and Sunday morning. Tuner was set to turn off after 4 hours, and was set to update at 3am. 622 and 211 in house not having the same problem. Calling DN support gets the advice to unplug the unit for 10 minutes - yeah right, every day? I'm beginning to think this is policy, keep sending receivers to long-term customers to give the illusion of attempting to solve problems.

Anyone have any advice as to how to troubleshoot/fix this problem?

I can't imagine there is any possible, reasonable explanation for Dish shipping equipment that screwed up so often.

Hi Matthew, thanks for the response. It is 3:30pm PST here, I just turned on the receiver and see I have 32 hours of guide. Yesterday, 24 hours after my guide update I had 8 days worth. Sat 119, TP18 is locked, EchoStar 119 West, signal strength 57.

Have you tried to run a check switch test? Menu-6-1-1-check switch-test. This reacquires signals, and also will force the EPG to download. If it keeps dropping the data after that, the receiver is likely failing

Hi Matthew, I just completed the switch test now and it is downloading the guide. I would have thought the initial setup when I plugged the new receiver in on Saturday would have done a switch test. There's nothing scheduled to record overnight, so 3pm local tomorrow we'll see what the guide looks like and I'll post the results, successful or not.

PM sent. For those following who may see the same issue:

I did the check switch as suggested Wednesday afternoon/early evening. After completion, my program guide went out 8 days or so. There was one program recording at 10pm, then nothing until 8pm tonight.

It's 2:40pm PST Thursday. I just checked my program guide and it is good until 11pm, Friday, tomorrow.

Again, this receiver was activated 5 days ago, and came as a shrink-wrapped refurb.

I'm a technician with dish and a lot of times when we run into these problems it's an electrical problem. Can you check the voltage coming out of your outlet? If its under 115 or over 125 that could very easily be the root of the problem.

Thanks Rorschach and Dan. I guess I'd need to be up at 3am to test the voltage, but perhaps at night with less people using electricity voltages would go up. As for a cable, I'm betting on a cable or LNBF problem. The 722 that was replaced by the two 722k's did have a problem on even transponders on 129, the signals were strong but the name couldn't be resolved. It now looks like my 722k is updating every other day. Supposedly someone will come by Sunday, but there seems to be quite a time lag between me and whoever is making the appointments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)