Dish Hopper with Harmony 650 Remote question

gizbug

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Chicago, IL
I have the new DISH Hopper w/ Sling Adapter. I am trying to find out why my Harmony Remote doesn't automatically add the colored buttons that are on my Dish Remote. There are 4 color buttons on the dish remote, to bring up like apps and what not.

But on my harmony, when I press the color buttons, nothing happens.

I logged into Myharmony.com
Setup the devices. I went under Watch Tv activity on myharmony.com, and it says the 4 colors are assigned. yet when using the remote, they don't work. All other buttons work fine.

This a lost cause or is there a concrete solution? No other users out there have issues with the 4 color buttons on their Harmony remotes?

There may be more than one Hopper code set, and maybe also under Echostar. Even a ViP922 code set may be worth trying.

Out of town, so I can't look now.

There may be more than one Hopper code set, and maybe also under Echostar. Even a ViP922 code set may be worth trying.

Out of town, so I can't look now.

Thanks, Tried the vip922 code. Same thing, colored buttons do nothing on the harmony (have to resort to using the color buttons on the hopper remote)

Hmmm. I wonder if this is a known issue. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in.

I have a Harmony 650 and my colored buttons work fine with my Joey and Hopper.

Do you know if the colored buttons actually work? One thing to try would be assigning a different command to the colored buttons (say, Volume Up or something that does not control the Hopper), then see if anything happens when you push them.

In the Harmony setup screen go to whatever activity you have set up to watch your Hopper. Mine says Watch Hopper, your s might say Watch TV or whatever you originally set it up to say. Now, go to Customize Buttons and ensure that the color buttons show Hopper for Device and then the correct color under Command..... If I remember correctly I had to establish this when I first set up my Harmony...

The pic looks like you're in the device setup, not the activity setup. You've assigned it in the wrong place. In any case, the way you have it now, it should work in device mode but won't work in your activity.

EDIT: Hmm... I took another look and it seems correct. Have you tried deleting the device and adding it back? Perhaps a failed learn attempt messed it up.

Last edited:
I know this is an old topic, but the Harmony 650 and Dish settings on it drive me nuts at times as well. I had this working (except for the red button) including reprograming the function of the buttons. Then I had an problem and tried to get the settings to work the way I customized it before I had issues. I think I was just lazy and used "Hopper" in the model number field when originally setting up.

What I ultimately did is in the MyHarmony interface for the Hopper w/Sling I used:

Dish Network (for the manufacturer)
HPRSLNG (for the Model Number)

That got my red button to FINALLY work. At first I thought it was a bad button as the other colors worked. As a work around if you still have the red button issue is to modify the top 4 selections on the LCD panel itself. Make one of the 4 settings on the first page set to "Red Button". May have to set it then drag it from page 5 to page 1. But when I first could not get the red button to work this seemed to solve it. But chose HPRSLNG and the red button works fine.

But now no matter how many times I modify the few buttons on the remote that I want to have a different function, the sync just won't make the remote change. i.e., I wanted the Menu button to be DVR and swap the fast forward/rewind and skip forward/back buttons to match the Dish remote like I had in the past. Just won't accept the alteration. Oh well. Set DVR on the LCD screen button and just got used to the different buttons for going forward and reverse.

If you have a regular Hopper, use:
HPR2000 (for the Model Number)

Try not to use just "HOPPER" when setting up the device.

Reactions: navychop
Since I can't find the DVR command in the learn IR page, I am trying to have it learn the DVR button command. But for some reason, I can't seem to get it to learn it. Is it not IR?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts