Dish in "My" RV

Tomboy257

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
Here & Now
I'm a snowbird that subscribes to Dish. I use a Dish1000 mounted on a tripod when at my destination. While on the road I use my Winegard crank-up dish and usually aim for the Nimiq5. This is the first time I've had a problem that I didn't think I could fix and wonder--why is it such a problem to get a tech to come out to an RV park?

The problem finally resolved itself which worries me a little, (but I'll wait and see if it happens again). Even though my guide is back to showing both HD and SD channels I think I'll wait til I get back home to call about that.

And why did customer service get all excited when I told them the "check switch" function was doing 38 checks?

38 checks is a very old dish, a DP. That is probably what your crank up dish is.

Your tripod is probably a DPP 1000.2.

Dish does not make service calls on vehicles. That is it. You can't get a service plan with an RV.

You just need the skill sets and tools to support yourself with a vehicle based dish.

38 checks is pre-DP. If you have DP equipment or newer (98% of customers) and you see 38 checks, it means the receiver doesn't detect the dish at all and is now checking for presence of a legacy dish.

Dish coax transponder signal formats in order of introduction date; legacy (original), DP, DPP/DP+, DPX (Hopper), DPZ (Hopper3).

Our manual crank up RV roof dish has a single legacy LNBF, and we do see the 38 step check when we use it as expected. Our portable tripod mounted dish is a 1000.4 with switchable EA and WA LNBF's, and does the normal DPP 4 step check. I installed an A/B switch for selecting which one is connected to the receiver. The only time I see the 38 step check come up after setting up the 1000.4 is when I forget to flip the switch. :rolleyes::biggrin

When I had a Winegard AS-2003 (single DP LNBF), I would get the to 38 tests. So the OP might be okay, wiring wise, and he just had a CSR who hasn't had to deal with a Legacy dish.

Finally was able to get a tech out to the RV. It turns out (kinda what I suspected in the first place) that my 222 was bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)