Dish in RV

Jackonearth

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2018
San Francisco, California
By popular request, this is my new combined thread for everything RV related.
Does anyone know if a Dish dual-tuner DVR like the new Hopper Duo or one of the VIP DVRs can be used with an RV dome dish instead of one or two Wally receivers?

Does anyone know if a Dish dual-tuner DVR like the new Hopper Duo or one of the VIP DVRs can be used with an RV dome dish instead of one or two Wally receivers?
I suggest you contact a local RV dealer and follow their advice. I think you will find the software for operating most automatic dishes is written into only the Wally. VIP DVRs are discontinued only the Hopper, Hopper Duo and Wally can be used to start new accounts. The dealer you bought your RV from should now be your best friend.

Reactions: JSheridan

The short answer is yes, I use a 722K with a Winegard dome. The limitation is that the dome can only receive one satellite at a time so if you want to watch or record a second channel, it has to be on the same satellite. The setup still works for me because most of the satellite programs are broadcast at multiple times so if you can't record it at one time, you can usually record it at another time. It probably wouldn't work for me if I couldn't receive two OTA channels at a time on the Dish receiver. This along with a DVR+ that records two additional OTA channels means that I only have to use the satellite for satellite programs and not broadcast network shows.

There is one problem that has to be overcome when setting up a recording. Only one of the satellite cables (receiver 1) controls what satellite the dome is set to. Unfortunately, Dish always records on receiver 2 first and won't switch satellites if the dome was previously on another satellite. To get around this, I always schedule an auto tune program either just before the program I want to record or on another channel that uses the same satellite. The auto tune program on receiver 1 changes the dome to the right satellite and allows receiver 2 to record the program you want.

My preference would be to use one of the new auto satellite dishes that allow all of the satellites to be viewed at the same time. Unfortunately, domes use 12 volt power the the new automatic dishes need 110 volt and there is no way to run 110 in my RV to the satellite dish. In the past I tried carrying home style dish but was more of a problem setting up than I wanted to deal with. Since my dome is on the roof, I do carry a carryout dome for when the sky is blocked by trees.

Jim

Reactions: Tampa8
The short answer is yes, I use a 722K with a Winegard dome. The limitation is that the dome can only receive one satellite at a time so if you want to watch or record a second channel, it has to be on the same satellite. The setup still works for me because most of the satellite programs are broadcast at multiple times so if you can't record it at one time, you can usually record it at another time. It probably wouldn't work for me if I couldn't receive two OTA channels at a time on the Dish receiver. This along with a DVR+ that records two additional OTA channels means that I only have to use the satellite for satellite programs and not broadcast network shows.

There is one problem that has to be overcome when setting up a recording. Only one of the satellite cables (receiver 1) controls what satellite the dome is set to. Unfortunately, Dish always records on receiver 2 first and won't switch satellites if the dome was previously on another satellite. To get around this, I always schedule an auto tune program either just before the program I want to record or on another channel that uses the same satellite. The auto tune program on receiver 1 changes the dome to the right satellite and allows receiver 2 to record the program you want.

My preference would be to use one of the new auto satellite dishes that allow all of the satellites to be viewed at the same time. Unfortunately, domes use 12 volt power the the new automatic dishes need 110 volt and there is no way to run 110 in my RV to the satellite dish. In the past I tried carrying home style dish but was more of a problem setting up than I wanted to deal with. Since my dome is on the roof, I do carry a carryout dome for when the sky is blocked by trees.

Jim
Thank you for your reply. You provided a lot of info I probably wouldn't have known to ask about. Thanks

.......My preference would be to use one of the new auto satellite dishes that allow all of the satellites to be viewed at the same time. Unfortunately, domes use 12 volt power the the new automatic dishes need 110 volt and there is no way to run 110 in my RV to the satellite dish.....Jim

The Winegard Trav'ler actually uses 48 volts to power to the dish.

Thank you for your reply. You provided a lot of info I probably wouldn't have known to ask about. Thanks

A couple of more thoughts. You can't use a Hopper with a dome because the dome only receives one satellite at a time. The problem for me was that I wanted a Hooper at home. So instead of bringing the home receiver along as I had in the past, I purchased the 722K and started a pay-as-you-go account for the RV. So when I'm in the RV I suspend (pause in dish terms) the home account and activate the RV account. When I return home I restore the Hooper account and stop the RV account. So even though there are two accounts, only one is active at a time. This only works if you are in the RV for a long period and not just on weekends (we are snowbirds.) To do a pay-as-you-go account you have to purchase your receiver. One nice thing about Dish is that they let you change your service address as you travel so you can always get local channels on satellite if you can't get them OTA.

Reactions: pattykay
My Winegard Road Trip and my Winegard Carryout both use 12 volts.

I assumed when you said, "My preference would be to use one of the new auto satellite dishes that allow all of the satellites to be viewed at the same time.", you were referring to the Winegard Trav'ler. I don't know of any dish like the one you describe that requires 110 volts to the dish.

I assumed when you said, "My preference would be to use one of the new auto satellite dishes that allow all of the satellites to be viewed at the same time.", you were referring to the Winegard Trav'ler. I don't know of any dish like the one you describe that requires 110 volts to the dish.

You are right, I missed your point and thought you were saying you had a dome that used 48 volts. The change from 12 ro 48 still requires different wiring.

Can the Trav'ler be used when the RV is moving?

You are right, I missed your point and thought you were saying you had a dome that used 48 volts. The change from 12 ro 48 still requires different wiring.
It isn't a matter of the voltage at the Trav'ler, it is that the Trav'ler has a control cable from the controller box and that box plugs into 120 volts. The domes have a 12 volts feed and the coax feed cables.

There is no multi-satellite at the same time dome. As for in-motion, why? SeriusXM radio for in-motion audio. If it is for kids entertainment, then DVDs are the answer.

It isn't a matter of the voltage at the Trav'ler, it is that the Trav'ler has a control cable from the controller box and that box plugs into 120 volts. The domes have a 12 volts feed and the coax feed cables.

There is no multi-satellite at the same time dome. As for in-motion, why? SeriusXM radio for in-motion audio. If it is for kids entertainment, then DVDs are the answer.
Kids are easy, they'll be playing on their Playstation. Wives and sisters on the other hand don't want to be stuck in an RV without their shows lol.

Here's an idea, if I connect an RV dome dish to a DPH42 switch and then to an Hopper 3, what happens?
I know I would be limited to receiving only one sat at a time but would all 16 tuners work? Is there something else that would stop this setup from working?

Odds are you would never get through the Switch Check as the multiple tuners will be firing satellite selections at the same time and the dome would go crazy cycling between satellite selections.

Here's an idea, if I connect an RV dome dish to a DPH42 switch and then to an Hopper 3, what happens?
I know I would be limited to receiving only one sat at a time but would all 16 tuners work? Is there something else that would stop this setup from working?

RV Dome dishes are fitted with Legacy lnbf's. DPH42's require connection to DP or DPP lnbf's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)