Dish install with cable and ota

zikdaman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2006
Hi everyone, I've been lurking around here for a few weeks and finally I'm making the plunge today and getting Dish installed (2 x vip622).

I want to keep my roadrunner service (and basic cable), and also integrate an OTA feed with my Dish feed so I can get local HD.

The installer said I'd have to run a new set of wires since they couldn't run their signal and the feed from Time Warner Cable over the same set of wires. He also said that I'd have to run another set of cables from my antenna to the sat receivers.

Now I thought there were diplexors that could make all of this work over the same set of cables and eliminate the need to run multiple sets of cables like this. Was I mistaken?

Also, does anyone have experience with the terk 44 antenna? I haven't purchased an antenna yet but this one seems like just what I need since it hooks directly to the dish. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance guys.

zikdaman - I have a similar set up. You're going to have to run at least one extra cable for the OTA antenna. Assuming you'll get a DPP44 switch from DishNet on the install:

- DPP44 and cable into diplexor (in the garage or wherever they come into the house)
- Diplexor out to cable run to second diplexor around vicinity of TV
- 2nd diplexor "ant/cable" out to TV tuner. Sat out to Dish Seperator
- Two cables out of Seperator to the Sat 1 &2 inputs on the back of the 622
- OTA antenna (not the TERK, it's useless unless you live in a strong signal area) to antenna input on back of the 622. You'll get digital only (ATSC) reception with the 622 which is not a bad thing. You'll be able to PVR (high quality) OTA signals with the 622 but note that you won't get guide data for those OTA stations if you don't subscribe to Dish locals. Go to antennaweb.org to find the right antenna for you.

BigFella, thanks for the info. My dish is being installed on a pole in the backyard. What antenna do you recommend. My zip is 27405 and from antenna web it looks like I'm in the yellow or red zone for the stations in my area. I would prefer a solution that integrates aesthetically with the dish if possible.

BigFella, thanks for the info. My dish is being installed on a pole in the backyard. What antenna do you recommend. My zip is 27405 and from antenna web it looks like I'm in the yellow or red zone for the stations in my area. I would prefer a solution that integrates aesthetically with the dish if possible.

You could try the TERK - just buy from a place that has a good return policy. Given your relatively close proximity to the transmission towers, you may get lucky -provided there aren't a lot of mountains or buildings in your area.

If the Terk doesn't work, I would suggest a good directional antenna from Channel Master (I use a CM4228) or Wineguard. With either of these, you'll need a good rotor as well (possibly a pre-amp too) because CBS and ABC look like they're 100 degrees in another direction from NBC and PBS. Check out the OTA forums here and on AVS for further tips and advice on OTA reception...

DTV Antenna
Type Call Sign Channel Network City State Live
Date Compass
Orientation Miles
From Frequency
Assignment
* red - uhf WFMY-DT 2.1 CBS GREENSBORO NC 205° 17.1 51
* red - uhf WMYV-DT 48.1 MNT GREENSBORO NC 202° 17.1 33
* red - uhf WXLV-DT 45.1 ABC WINSTON-SALEM NC 202° 17.1 29
* red - uhf WGPX-DT 16.1 ION BURLINGTON NC 36° 11.0 14
* blue - uhf WXII-DT 12.1 NBC WINSTON-SALEM NC 306° 39.4 31
* violet - uhf WUNL-DT 26.1 PBS WINSTON-SALEM NC 306° 39.3 32
* violet - uhf WLXI-DT 61.1 IND GREENSBORO NC 202° 17.1 43

Although what BigFella said should work, you also need to take into account your RoadRunner service, which I believe is coming in through your regular cable TV service. Therefore, at the cable/RR service connection, you may want to ensure that there is a 2-way splitter that sends one cable directly to your "Cable Internet Modem" and the second cable feeds your home distribution system with "Basic Cable TV." This should provide the best possible signal for your internet connection.

Looks like you are in Greensboro. I don't see HD Locals for Greensboro, but it looks like Raleigh and Charlotte get HD Locals on 118.7.

With DishPro Plus (DPP LNBF or DPP Switch), you will only need one cable for the sat signal to each ViP622. It may be better for the tech to run a new cable for each ViP622 and diplex the OTA signal on it, instead of the basic cable signal; especially if you already have cabling to supply basic cable to each TV.

You did not specify if each ViP622 will be feeding 1 TV each, or if you have other TV's that will be receiving the cable feed, the OTA feed, and the 622 Stereo Modulator Output from one or both of the ViP622's. A little planning, it can all be done.

EDIT:
At this site, you will find some distribution diagrams that may help in planning.
http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishpro_installation.asp
Particularly these:
- http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwork/DISH_Pro-DISH_Pro_Plus_Diagrams/DistributionExample4.pdf
- http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwork/DISH_Pro-DISH_Pro_Plus_Diagrams/DistributionExample5.pdf
- http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwork/DISH_Pro-DISH_Pro_Plus_Diagrams/DistributionExample8.pdf
- http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwork/DISH_Pro-DISH_Pro_Plus_Diagrams/DistributionExample10.pdf

Last edited:
Excellent stuff guys, I'll let you know how it goes. Now let me get to digesting some of this info.

personally, i would combine the satellite feeds and the OTA, and run a standalone cable for the cable company stuff. That way you don't have to worry about any problems with the internet quality... and no interference backfeeding the TV2 side out of the receivers.
Just my opinion

I have my satellite feeds, OTA and the backfeed from the 622 all on one coax cable with the use of diplexers and a separator. See attached diagram..(this was drawn a couple of years ago - since then the 942 has been replaced by the 622, the 811 by the 211 and the DPP44/Superdish combo with a Dish 1000.2)

Attachments

• TV2backfeed.jpg
    TV2backfeed.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 251
personally, i would combine the satellite feeds and the OTA, and run a standalone cable for the cable company stuff. That way you don't have to worry about any problems with the internet quality... and no interference backfeeding the TV2 side out of the receivers.
Just my opinion

Exactly!

The moment you start sending TV2 backfeeds back up the cable company line, you're opening up a big can of worms. Theoretically, a neighbor that is subscribed to cable could view your TV2 signal. Not to mention a lot cable internet systems don't operate properly when diplexed with a satellite signal.

Ok, here's how it's gone so far. After reading the many helpful comments on this thread, and also speaking with the installer, I decided to go it the safe way and run new cabling for the sat feed. Heck they were doing it for free anway so why the hell not right? Don't know why he did this but he actully also ran seperate feeds for an OTA antenna (yet to be bought), instead of just diplexing it in with the sat feed as I suggested. Seems like my install was quite a job for them. I had so many Dish vans in my driveway and on the street, the neighbors probably thought I was hosting a Dish installer convention. Anyway, about 7 hours later we officially had Dish service at my residence.

Once I get my OTA antenna installed we'll be all set for local HD. In the mean time I'm hanging on to my cable HD receivers.

I must say that I'm a tad disappointed in the picture quality of the Dish SD channels as compared to cable. Cable SD's seem a bit crisper.

Also, at first when I tuned in to the HD channels I was really disappointed, until I figured out that the 622's default on 480p. Whew! I've bumped it up to 1080i and now the HD picture quality is the same as cable's.

I'll be shopping for an antenna today, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts