Dish Installation & Hopper Questions...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I agree they should have added more tuners. I hated explaining to customers with 3 joeys that the last Joey that is turned on would be a mirrored tv. Customers do not realize that until the techs leave. One thing I did learn was that you could actually have 6 joeys hooked up but they would be mirrored. I found that interesting

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I have two TVs. I'd like to get one Hopper and hook up the other TV to this Hopper rather than getting a Joey. Do you have schematics for that? I'm not as talented as the other people here and most of this looks totally foreign to me. Thank you!

I have two TVs. I'd like to get one Hopper and hook up the other TV to this Hopper rather than getting a Joey. Do you have schematics for that? I'm not as talented as the other people here and most of this looks totally foreign to me. Thank you!
This is a very old thread, nearly 4 years, but....

I am hoping that you understand that using the Hopper only, without a Joey, would mean that both TVs must look at the same program. If that is OK with you then there are several ways to accomplish what you want. You can run a long HDMI or Component cable from the Hopper to the second TV. Or, you can run a coaxial cable from the Hopper to the second TV. If you go the second route you would need to purchase an RF modulator to place at the Hopper location. That configuration would only allow an SD picture at the second TV. If it were me, I'd bite the bullet and get the Joey. It's $7 a month but it offers much more convenience.

Reactions: lld
Thanks for responding, Bobby. The thing is, it's for my son who is just moving out on his own. I wouldn't hesitate to have the Joey, but a young kid moving out with a lot of expenses can use a savings at any turn, this being one of them. For as little as TV will be watched in the bedroom, the HDMI seems the way to go. I get what you're saying about the convenience, as he won't be able to change channels, correct?

Thanks for responding, Bobby. The thing is, it's for my son who is just moving out on his own. I wouldn't hesitate to have the Joey, but a young kid moving out with a lot of expenses can use a savings at any turn, this being one of them. For as little as TV will be watched in the bedroom, the HDMI seems the way to go. I get what you're saying about the convenience, as he won't be able to change channels, correct?
Actually with a second UHF remote, channels could be changed at the bedroom location, as long as it not a real long way between the two rooms. Or he could move the remote from the living room to the bedroom but that can be a pain. If he is the sole resident it won't matter if the same thing is on both TVs. Now, if you go with the HDMI cable, you can feed the Main TV with a Component cable or you will need an HDMI splitter.

Actually with a second UHF remote.

Is a UHF remote the original remote that comes with his other TV, or what is this exactly? It is not a long way between the two rooms at all and he is the sole resident. Technically he could move the Hopper remote from one room to the other (I assume the Hopper has a separate remote from the actual TV remote like with my DirecTV system?). Bobby, I apologize for the questions.

The UHF remote is the remote that comes with his Hopper. It can be programmed to also control his TV. Yes, technically he could move the Hopper remote room to room but he will find that the remote is always in the other room when he wants to use it. So, for $20 he could purchase a 40 remote for use in the bedroom. He could control the Hopper in the other room as well as the TV in his bedroom.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yes it can but it has some drawbacks. The Wally has one satellite tuner built in and is not a DVR. It can be made a semi-DVR by adding an external hard drive. It costs $40 to activate that EHD. You can also add an over the air tuner by purchasing a OTA dongle. There are no monthly DVR charges for this configuration, but you have less recording opportunities as well. You also can not watch a program and record another program at the same time unless one of them is an OTA program and you have the dongle. You also can not use the component configuration I discussed earlier because the ally doesn't have a component output. So, you would have to go with HDMI to both TVs using an HDMI splitter or have the second TV be SD only using an RF modulator...

I think I may have answered my own question, Bobby. Looks like Amazon sells a

Dish Network 40.0 Remote Control for Hopper/joey Receivers

I tried to link it in to make sure it was the the right one, but didn't have any luck with that. It's $23.99 and I assume will work and what you were talking about.

Yes it can but it has some drawbacks. The Wally has one satellite tuner built in and is not a DVR. It can be made a semi-DVR by adding an external hard drive. It costs $40 to activate that EHD. You can also add an over the air tuner by purchasing a OTA dongle. There are no monthly DVR charges for this configuration, but you have less recording opportunities as well. You also can not watch a program and record another program at the same time unless one of them is an OTA program and you have the dongle. You also can not use the component configuration I discussed earlier because the ally doesn't have a component output. So, you would have to go with HDMI to both TVs using an HDMI splitter or have the second TV be SD only using an RF modulator...
For the $$$ conscious, the Wally with external hard drive to turn it into a DVR would be the way I'd go.

While you can not watch a live program while recording another, you CAN watch something that has already been recorded while recording something else.

Adding over the air could help provide additional live programming options. As long as one program is a local channel (and you can receive them with an antenna) and the other is something off a satellite channel, then you can record two and watch a third or any combination.

HDMI splitters can work well but you can have problems unless both TVs support the same picture resolution (e.g, 1080i). Both should also support HDCP or you may end up with no picture. TVs bought in the last few years should be fine.

Reactions: pattykay and lld

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)