Dish Installation / Switch / Grounding Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dinodish

Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
I have a Dish 500 (mounted on chimney, above second floor in Townhome) with DishPro Quad feeding into DP34 Switch for a (3) room setup. Since I’m looking into getting the new Dish Voom Deal (adding another Dish), I may have to change my wiring/switch arrangements.

Since I have been looking into my wiring I was surprised to find out that it had not been “Grounded” at any point. From what I have read and researched I should route the (4) cables out of the DishPro Quad into “Grounding Blocks/Proper Grounding” before routing cables to the DP34 Switch. Since Dish is located on chimney, the distance to the main “Grounding Source” is quite a long ways and is not the same as point of entry. Does length of Grounding Cable to Grounding Source matter? Is there an ideal point to add Grounding Blocks? Does “Grounding” system weaken signal strength or create performance problems, etc…?

Does it matter if Switches such as DP34 or DP44 should be mounted In-doors (such as In-Door Distribution Panel, etc..) or Out-doors? Should they be mounted close to the Dish or does reasonable distance matter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

dinodish said:
Since I have been looking into my wiring I was surprised to find out that it had not been “Grounded” at any point. From what I have read and researched I should route the (4) cables out of the DishPro Quad into “Grounding Blocks/Proper Grounding” before routing cables to the DP34 Switch. Since Dish is located on chimney, the distance to the main “Grounding Source” is quite a long ways and is not the same as point of entry. Does length of Grounding Cable to Grounding Source matter? Is there an ideal point to add Grounding Blocks? Does “Grounding” system weaken signal strength or create performance problems, etc…?

Not grounding the system can cause problems and can actually cause your homeowners insurance to NOT pay. The ground MUST be the shortest possible PATH. If your wires are ran into the attic, you CAN ground the system into an eletrical outlet's ground....BE CAREFUL

Grounding to NEC code is from the ground block to a bond point (metal electric mast, metal conduit, house main ground, etc.) no more than 20 feet. You Should use dual RG6 with ground to ground the dish. We actually sell satellite installation supplies. Typically you want to mount the dish close to the ground and where you have a line of sight.

Do not, no matter what the hacks tell you, ground inside an attic. There is too much a of a risk of fire. Plus, if you do not ground the system properly your insurance will not cover you.

Matt

Thanks for all the great info!

I have been trying to read all I can on the “Grounding” issue. I know that the cable themselves are to run through “Grounding Blocks” but how about the Dish itself. I've read some that say to ground some say do not.

Plus, does it matter where, say a DP-34 or DP44 are to be mounted (inside or outside), and how are these “Grounded”?

Thanks

haotinc said:
Do not, no matter what the hacks tell you, ground inside an attic. There is too much a of a risk of fire. Plus, if you do not ground the system properly your insurance will not cover you.

I'm NOT a hack. I totally agree about HOW it is SUPPOSED to be done. HOWEVER, there are MANY systems that were NOT installed properly, and most subs will NOT allow it to be fixed properly. Therefore, it is ACCEPTABLE to use the HOUSE WIRING as a ground in certain circumstances. A 2000+ joule grounded surge protector IS considered a PROPER ground when used in an apartment.

Do I think that it should be done that way? NO, but sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do. Having some kind of ground is better than NONE.

BTW, maybe you should try reading some of my other posts concerning grounding or other posts by others before being judgemental. I've been installing for 6 years and I do my job the right way. You are new here. Anyway............Welcome.

Should I be surprised that the authorized dish network installer made no attempt to ground my installation? It's mounted to the garage, wires running a couple feet to our house. Are they required to ground it, by taking the installation contract from Dish?

Good grief, thanks for the heads up. I wondered why they didn't ground it, figured maybe they knew something I didn't.

Problem is, I know they'll send the same goofball out to fix it. :\

can someone tell me why exactly to ground a system. I've been installing for over a year now, and no one has given me a straight forward answer on why to ground.

joshschuler said:
can someone tell me why exactly to ground a system. I've been installing for over a year now, and no one has given me a straight forward answer on why to ground.

To prevent static discharge

whether that be a little jolt or lightning.

and yes to PREVENT

a properly installed lightning rod will prevent lightning from hitting it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts