Dish installer damaged my roof!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Do most roofs has the shingles hanf over the edge like that? Aren't they normally a liottle more flush with the edge?

Actually, quite a bit more flush. I have done my share of roofing jobs, and I can say very confidently that this one was done wrong. The shingle should overhang the rake edge by about 1/2" to 3/4", no more. I'd guess the ones in the picture are 1" to 1 1/2".

I'm not so certain of that. I can't tell from his photo, but he may have something like I have. This is my roof that was installed 5 years ago. These edge shingles come already bent to overlap the roof edge.

DSCN0594.JPG

I'm not so certain of that. I can't tell from his photo, but he may have something like I have. This is my roof that was installed 5 years ago. These edge shingles come already bent to overlap the roof edge.

View attachment 86010

I've never seen an edge done like that. It's certainly not typical of anything around here in CT. How are you supposed to keep the water from getting under the shingles on the roof? The op deleted the picture he posted, but it was of a standard shingle roof with an overhang on the rake. Like I said, the problem is that there is too much overhang.

I've never seen an edge done like that. It's certainly not typical of anything around here in CT. How are you supposed to keep the water from getting under the shingles on the roof? The op deleted the picture he posted, but it was of a standard shingle roof with an overhang on the rake. Like I said, the problem is that there is too much overhang.

Regular shingles come to the edge of the eave. These edges are just tacked on top of them. This roof used to be tile and it had edge tiles that did the same thing. We wanted to keep the same look while moving to composite....

Ah, that makes sense. Still, how did they seal the nail holes on the overlaid shingles? Water could theoretically get in under them.

Seems to me the OP should really go bitch to his roofer than the installer as shingles arent suppose to overlap...otherwise they'll clearly get damaged by ladders pressing on them, besides what do you think gutters are for?

However, I learned a new word today, "asshats", so this is not totally a useless thread, more like 99.5% useless.

Cheers, K

I wouldn't take too much offense to any of this. Is seems to me that different areas use different techniques for roofing. Here in my area the shingles are almost always flush with the edge. In your area it may be the norm to have it like yours. As far as I know each state may have building regualtions on it. It just looked different to me because I have never seen shingles like that in my area.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say that overhang looks more like 3" to me. And might be a concern for any future gutter installation.

Still, the installer did damage the roof as it was. If in fact that was an incorrect shingle installation, that's a separate issue.

Looking at that shingle job yeah it overhangs way too much. I've helped my dad roof plenty of houses and they should be flush with the edge or at worse a smidge over (like 1/2" tops). We always cut them to the edge.

Trying to replace that would be a major pain as you can't just take out one shingle. They're nailed together. I know we've replaced shingles that blew off but for something like that we wouldnt even bother with.

That's the rake, not the eave. No gutter there.

shingle ripper.jpg
Individual shingles are easy to remove. You need a tool called a shingle ripper.

Wouldn't he be able to just cut all his shingles flush to the edge and then you would never be able to tell the ladder was there? I think that's what I would do and it shouldn't be too difficult.

I'm curious why the installer was up on the roof in the first place since the OP said the dish was on the side of the house.

Last edited:
Wouldn't he be able to just cut all his shingle fluch to the edge and then you would never be able to tell the ladder was there? I think that's what I would do and it shouldn't be too difficult.

I'm curious why the installer was up on the roof in the first place since the OP said the dish was on the side of the house.

Actually he said it was on the corner near the top. I think he meant it was on the roof. You could cut them flush, but they should be off the rake about 1/2" to 3/4". It wouldn't be easy this time of the year. The shingles are very hard when it's this cold.

View attachment 86011
Individual shingles are easy to remove. You need a tool called a shingle ripper.

I learn something new every day. I won't tell you what I learned yesterday. :dev

Cutting a smooth line would be hard. The last shingling job I did was for a shed, and just cutting it smooth up the eaves was quite challenging for me. I suppose with some tar a half fast job repair could be done, but might look even worse.

I have been on plenty of roofs and never seen shingles hanging over that much. Maybe they done it to have an additional overhang like some metal roofs do. They are usually flush to the edge of the roof line and look much better. In time wind may be able to catch the ends of those shingles and blow them off so it may be doing more harm than good having them overhang like that.

The damage is very minor. Only one shingle. I'm not making a big production. It may sound like I'm freaking out here, but I'm not. Mabye just venting since a paid 8K for for something that now has damage that is clearly visible. Not trying to scam dish. I am not like that. I just want it fixed. Here is a pic. How would any of you like to see this on your 4y old roof? The dish is mounted in the upper left corner.

Don't look up and you wont see it. :p

This thread appears to be heading nowhere so maybe its time to close it.if anyone else on the staff disagrees then please reopen. Thank you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts