Dish Installer took 1000.2

zzandrewst

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
South Carolina
I had scheduled an installer come by yesterday between 8 & 12 to add the 61.5 satellite for me. He didn't show up until 2. I had gone to work by then and wasn't able to come home. When I did get home there was a note on my door saying that he was running late and that I could call him when I got home and he would come by. So I called him and he said he was at another install and he would come by when he got done. About an hour and a half later I had two dish installers pull up in my yard. I told them that I was having bad rain fade on the 129 also. He checked the signal on 129 and said that it was bad and that he would just disconnect the 129. I figured that they would leave up my 1000.2 and add a dish 500 for the 61.5. They ended up taking down my 1000.2 and took it back with them and installed two dish 500's. Not only did they do this but one of the dish 500's they put up has a huge scratch on the face of it. I don't have very much knowledge on what they are supposed to do and not supposed to do, but this seemed very odd to me. At least I don't have to worry about the 129 anymore.

I had scheduled an installer come by yesterday between 8 & 12 to add the 61.5 satellite for me. He didn't show up until 2. I had gone to work by then and wasn't able to come home. When I did get home there was a note on my door saying that he was running late and that I could call him when I got home and he would come by. So I called him and he said he was at another install and he would come by when he got done. About an hour and a half later I had two dish installers pull up in my yard. I told them that I was having bad rain fade on the 129 also. He checked the signal on 129 and said that it was bad and that he would just disconnect the 129. I figured that they would leave up my 1000.2 and add a dish 500 for the 61.5. They ended up taking down my 1000.2 and took it back with them and installed two dish 500's. Not only did they do this but one of the dish 500's they put up has a huge scratch on the face of it. I don't have very much knowledge on what they are supposed to do and not supposed to do, but this seemed very odd to me. At least I don't have to worry about the 129 anymore.
They did nothing wrong. The two D-500's wil serve you well. The scratch means nothing. It happens. Now if were a gouge, I would not install that antenna. DFents and gouges can effect the way the signal reflects to the LNB... But a simple scratch won't hurt it.

Any bottle of enamel that matches the color fairly close can take care of that scratch. Painting a dish is fine as long as you don't paint the LNB (that would be a disaster).

They did nothing wrong. The two D-500's wil serve you well. The scratch means nothing. It happens. Now if were a gouge, I would not install that antenna. DFents and gouges can effect the way the signal reflects to the LNB... But a simple scratch won't hurt it.

I hope it's not a gouge, I haven't climbed up on the roof to inspect it, I might do that to make sure.

They probably took it because the receiver would conflict between 61.5/129.

If OP is concerned about a scratch, imagine if there was tin foil on the 1000.2 LNBF covering up the 129 eye.

Why did they take the 1000.2? Why not leave it and just add the 500?

They may have removed the 1000.2 because if they just connected the 61.5 wing dish to the internal switch, the receiver would still use 129 as the primary source for HD. I don't think there is a way to disable the 129 LNB on a 1000.2, other than covering it with aluminum foil. (Which is what I did). It would be nice if the receiver could figure out to use the strongest source and only use 129 when 61.5 is covered by a storm cloud.

ROFL!!

...or...the installer may be following proper procedure and RA'ing the LNB

Or it's going into his toolbag for the next time he has a standard def 3 receiver 4 room install (one dual tuner, two single tuners) and doesn't want to use a 34 switch or Quad, and his warehouse will raise hell about using a 1000.2 or DPP33 switch on a standard def job.

Or it's going into his toolbag for the next time he has a standard def 3 receiver 4 room install (one dual tuner, two single tuners) and doesn't want to use a 34 switch or Quad, and his warehouse will raise hell about using a 1000.2 or DPP33 switch on a standard def job.

Why the hell would they raise a stink over a DPP33? Those should be allowed for ANY install requiring 3 receivers...regardless of SD or HD

I don't see an issue with this considering the installer gave you a DISH500 to replace it!

Where I would see an issue, is if you had 2 Dishes and went to a DISH1000 and the installer took one of the Dishes with him, or took your old switches or LNB's

Why the hell would they raise a stink over a DPP33? Those should be allowed for ANY install requiring 3 receivers...regardless of SD or HD

Don't I wish. I get less flack for using a DPP44 switch than a DPP33 switch. I had a 500+ install on 2 dual tuners in a brand new house, and got chewed for having a DPP33 ADDED TO MY WORK ORDER!! Because we're not supposed to call and ask for that. "If we need it, it will be on our work order" We can't even carry a spare, in order to get one from warehouse we have to attach a copy of the work order calling for it.

Don't I wish. I get less flack for using a DPP44 switch than a DPP33 switch. I had a 500+ install on 2 dual tuners in a brand new house, and got chewed for having a DPP33 ADDED TO MY WORK ORDER!! Because we're not supposed to call and ask for that. "If we need it, it will be on our work order" We can't even carry a spare, in order to get one from warehouse we have to attach a copy of the work order calling for it.

i couldnt help but notice, you through used the ajective "brand new" for the house. would you not have bothered to use a dpp44 if the house was not new? whether or not a customer is in a new house or a 30 year old trailer, they still pay the same for services, and should be treated the same.

It sounded to me like he can get away a lot easier using a DPP44 get to carry spares vs a high tech DPP33 where you touch you die.

I could care less if its brand new or 50 yr old hunter special cracker jack trailer, I've seen either be deliverance style. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)