DISH Introduces Flex Pack

We have an existing customer Renewal Offer promo available as of today. This offer includes a 2-year price guarantee that will ensure the existing customer's discounted core programming price will not increase for 24 months. The e-autopay $5 credit is available for existing customers under this promo. This does require a new commitment, that you accept and agree to through mydish.com. You can contact one my DIRT members for more details, as there are some restrictions, and requirements to go over.

how long is the new commitment? 2 years? what is the ETF?

thanks
Mike

If this works, that is, the guide data remains, I will go without paying for locals. PTAT will be impacted but we can just manually record like pre-PTAT days.

Issue,
All the major networks are 'local',
Abc, nbc, cbs, fox,
usb Antenea can only serve 1 channel/tuner at a time,
conflicts among major network timers.

Issue,
All the major networks are 'local',
Abc, nbc, cbs, fox,
usb Antenea can only serve 1 channel/tuner at a time,
conflicts among major network timers.

Very true, one reason paying does get you more for the money. But the Flex Pack is about choice. In addition if you have more than one receiver you could have more than one tuner to record locals with OTA only.
If you get all OTA you could consider an OTA Tivo. It has four tuners, look for a used one with lifetime service. See if that seems financially worth it. Without lifetime is it $15 a month. There are other OTA DVR recorders that may cost less.

Last edited:
I wanted the Flex pack to work for me, but I just couldn't get there. I want the locals pack because 1 OTA tuner isn't enough for my household viewing. I want the kids pack because my son watches Disney Jr. and Nick Jr. I want the variety pack because we watch Investigation Discovery. I want the Regional Action Pack to get my RSN. Unfortunately all the packs are setup in a way where I want 1 or 2 channels from each pack. If it was true a la carte where I could pick the 10 channels we actually watch, that would be great, but as it stands I would be be paying the same amount or more for less programming than I already have.

Reactions: Mojo Jojo
I wanted the Flex pack to work for me, but I just couldn't get there. I want the locals pack because 1 OTA tuner isn't enough for my household viewing. I want the kids pack because my son watches Disney Jr. and Nick Jr. I want the variety pack because we watch Investigation Discovery. I want the Regional Action Pack to get my RSN. Unfortunately all the packs are setup in a way where I want 1 or 2 channels from each pack. If it was true a la carte where I could pick the 10 channels we actually watch, that would be great, but as it stands I would be be paying the same amount or more for less programming than I already have.

It's hard when you only want 10 specific channels, that may be a time where online would work for you? But you are at the end of the spectrum, if 10 channels is all you want where true A La Carte could work well for you. Very different than the person who wants 130 channels to work with A La Carte.

Have you thought about trying PlayStation Vue? Disney Jr., Nick Jr., and ID: Investigation Discovery are in its lowest pack at $29.99/month called Access Slim. For $5/month more (at $34.99/month) PlayStation Vue's middle package, Core, has Fox Sports Networks listed; I am not sure if this is based on zip code availability. There is also a third package called Elite Slim for $44.99/month. The lineups actually look really good; it makes me wonder how they can offer these for a nice price honestly. I may even be tempted to try it.

Reactions: mdavej
Have you thought about trying PlayStation Vue? Disney Jr., Nick Jr., and ID: Investigation Discovery are in its lowest pack at $29.99/month called Access Slim. For $5/month more (at $34.99/month) PlayStation Vue's middle package, Core, has Fox Sports Networks listed; I am not sure if this is based on zip code availability. There is also a third package called Elite Slim for $44.99/month. The lineups actually look really good; it makes me wonder how they can offer these for a nice price honestly. I may even be tempted to try it.
I'd assume it is the limited DVR access and limited overhead from easier customer support (is your TV plugged in?) and no equipment to build or develop (just software), and it is delivered over someone else's distribution system.

Would love to see the locals pack as an "option" for all packages. They would be gone in a keystroke from my AT250.

Reactions: zippyfrog
Flex Pak came out just in time for the end of 4DTV subscription, it is very similar to c/band subscription, offered by Skyvision and Programming center, only thing missing is NBCSN, AHC and Sprout, a lot of 4DTV subber already planning to go with Dish

Reactions: Tampa8
That's $20 a month not total...

hmm... gamble $5/month savings, vs. $20/month ETF.. not so attractive. Between PS Vue, and Google coming to our area, I can't see still being on Dish in 2 years. Will probably switch to Flex with locals + kids for the time I remain.. and save ~$15(?)/month vs. AT120.

The content cost for Flex is competitive, but the fact that you just never pay off the equipment is what kills it. I don't mind paying for it once ... but even the 2-brain-cell cell phone market finally got past the idea of always charging the ~$20/month you were paying to cover your every-2-year phone upgrade. Time for sat/cable to catch up and stop using equipment fees as a surrogate revenue source.

hmm... gamble $5/month savings, vs. $20/month ETF.. not so attractive. Between PS Vue, and Google coming to our area, I can't see still being on Dish in 2 years. Will probably switch to Flex with locals + kids for the time I remain.. and save ~$15(?)/month vs. AT120.

The content cost for Flex is competitive, but the fact that you just never pay off the equipment is what kills it. I don't mind paying for it once ... but even the 2-brain-cell cell phone market finally got past the idea of always charging the ~$20/month you were paying to cover your every-2-year phone upgrade. Time for sat/cable to catch up and stop using equipment fees as a surrogate revenue source.
:amen

I have always believed internet streaming would bring alacart to the market.
I have also believed that individual channel pricing would be such that most people subscribing to select individual channels would have similar or higher bills than tiered level package pricing.
if espn is getting $5 per package subscriber, where only half the subscribers actually watch, then espn will want $10+ for individual subscribers. (#s used as example only).
Same for every other network.
By the time you add up a dozen individual chosen channels, price is same or more.

There has always been additional room fee.
Directv back in 1995 you got 1 room system for $900 and you installed it yourself.
If you wanted a 2nd room you Paid $200 for the additional receiver, and $10 per month Mirror fee.
You are paying exactly just that.
$7 to mirror your programming to another room.
It's not an equipment fee.

Where do you see that Dish or Directv charges a monthly equipment fee?

$15 Hopper fee?
Nope thats for DVR service and the ability to add other Rooms with DVR.

The ETF is simple and is no different than those Phone company's you speak up.
You lease equipment ,they give you the equipment , and Dish expects a return . Hence the 24 month commitment.
Nothing fishy there.

Or just like the phone companies You buy your own equipment and no commitment is required.

I don't see the point in buying for home use unless you live in multiple locations.

But it would be nice if Dish started a lease to own.
But that would be a Higher monthly cost I'm sure.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Last edited:
if espn is getting $5 per package subscriber, where only half the subscribers actually watch, then espn will want $10+ for individual subscribers. (#s used as example only).
That logic is pretty much correct. Many consumers believe they can take, for example, AT120 at $64.99 and divide that amount by the number of channels. Dish says there are (190) channels but let's use (150) considering many are truly free or shopping channels and so on. $64.99 / 150 = $0.43 per channel. Some will say 'give me these (15) channels' and expect their bill to be $6.50/month.

a la carte would put a number of channels out of business (but that's how the market works) and that's not based on the above math either. I think even some of Disney's channels would be shuttered as ESPN and the main Disney channels likely wouldn't be able to subsidize them anymore.

That logic is pretty much correct. Many consumers believe they can take, for example, AT120 at $64.99 and divide that amount by the number of channels. Dish says there are (190) channels but let's use (150) considering many are truly free or shopping channels and so on. $64.99 / 150 = $0.43 per channel. Some will say 'give me these (15) channels' and expect their bill to be $6.50/month.

a la carte would put a number of channels out of business (but that's how the market works) and that's not based on the above math either. I think even some of Disney's channels would be shuttered as ESPN and the main Disney channels likely wouldn't be able to subsidize them anymore.
If 150 are $65, and if the 15 I wanted were $65, I'd be a happy camper! The problem is the 15 I want are not in that 150. Flex should have true flexibility!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Troch77
If 150 are $65, and if the 15 I wanted were $65, I'd be a happy camper! The problem is the 15 I want are not in that 150. Flex should have true flexibility!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Exactly it's just as Flexible as every other package.
If your lucky it has your preferred line up.

Flex should have started with $10 Basepackage like Welcome pack.
And then from there have available options that everyone can benifit from.

While Flex is a good start, I hope to see some better package options in the Future.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts