Dish is still the best value for me

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

andrewj0781

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 28, 2009
Altoona, Pennsylvania, United States
After getting my Bill for $93.57 I did some looking around at the other 2 options I have for TV. After looking Dish is still the best Value by $7.99.

Directv

Choice extra - $63.99
HD
- $10.00
HD extra - $4.99
Receivers (3x $5.00) $15.00
DVR - $7.00.
Total - $100.98 (Before Taxes)

Atlantic Broadband (Fees as of 4/1/10)

Digital - $ 82.94
HD - $4.00
Receivers (3x $8.95) - $ 26.85
DVR - $10.95
Total - $124.74 (Before taxes and fees)

Dish

Top 250 - $ 62.99
HD + Plat. $10.00
Receivers (1x $14.00) $14.00
DVR - $6.00
Total - $ 92.99 (Before Taxes)

If he has a duo dvr and then a duo hd, then it would be $14 for dish. So do you have 4 or three tvs? If you have 3 then direct will be $5 less, still a bit more than dish however.

If he has a duo dvr and then a duo hd, then it would be $14 for dish. So do you have 4 or three tvs? If you have 3 then direct will be $5 less, still a bit more than dish however.

I have 722 hd dvr (2nd sd fee on tv 2) then a 322 that feeds 2 sd tvs. So Not including the first one that's free with Dish I only need one more duo receiver, with Direct I'd need 3 more and 3 with cable as well.

With Dish I have 2 duo receivers. I have a 722 and 322. First ones free 2nd one is $14.00. Direct has single turner unless they changed to duo and Cable only has singles. So I'd need 3 more to equal 4 tvs with direct and cable.

Cable usually charges for the first receiver as well. Might be different for you local company, and you also have the option to connect straight to the tv. Or maybe you are listing DVR as the dvr receiver and its not a DVR fee like with dish and D*.

Cable usually charges for the first receiver as well. Might be different for you local company, and you also have the option to connect straight to the tv.

Well I was just going with what I have. To get the channels I have with Dish with all 4 tvs with Cable I'd need digital receivers. When I had hd with cable they didn't charge for the receiver you just had to give them your credit card that way if you broke it or didn't return it they'd charge you for it.

Monthly Charges
Feb 24 - Mar 23 America's Top 250 With Locals 62.99
DVR Service 6.00
HD Solo DVR Receiver 10.00
HD & Platinum 10.00
$ 88.99
Taxes
Feb 09 State/Local Tax (Sales/Gross Receipts) 1.50
Total Due by Mar 01, 2010 $ 90.49

722K is my second reciever Hooked up to two TV's

Comparable Direct package is about four dollars more with less national HD channels (at this time)

You will see that for the most part most people will save with Dish. Most of the savings will be a few bucks, but for those that have only 1 or 2 receivers or DVRs, then the Dish savings will be much more noticeable. Once people start adding equipment, then Direct becomes the better price option, especially if they have more than 1 HD receiver or DVR.

For me:

DirecTV
Total Choice + (No longer exists) 61.49
DVR 7.00
HD 10.00
HD XTR 4.99
XTR Receiver 5.00

Total 88.48

Dishnet
AT 250 (I need this one to continue to get the channels I currently have with TC+) 62.99
DVR 6.00
HD 10.00
XTR HD DVR 10.00

Total 88.99

DirecTV is 51 cents cheaper than Dish for me

Last edited:
You will see that for the most part most people will save with Dish. Most of the savings will be a few bucks, but for those that have only 1 or 2 receivers or DVRs, then the Dish savings will be much more noticeable. Once people start adding equipment, then Direct becomes the better price option, especially if they have more than 1 HD receiver or DVR.

For me:

DirecTV
Total Choice + (No longer exists) 61.49
DVR 7.00
HD 10.00
HD XTR 4.99
XTR Receiver 5.00

Total 88.48

Dishnet
AT 250 (I need this one to continue to get the channels I currently have with TC+) 62.99
DVR 6.00
HD 10.00
XTR HD DVR 10.00

Total 88.99

For $6.12 more a year, I think I would stick with Dish and their receivers and more HD.

For $6.12 more a year, I think I would stick with Dish and their receivers and more HD.
For me I would stick with Direct, even if it was $6 more, because Dish does offer the most important thing for which I use my TV, Extra Innings.

As far as more HD, that probably will not be the case within 2 months. Also, I would probably watch only one or two of those HD channels available on Dish that are not available on Direct. The difference in HD is not even that big of a deal too me right now.

Dish Network worked out well for me. I wanted a movie package and some soccer (football for those on the other side of the pond). If you want movies and soccer, that is two premiums on Directv. With Dish Network, you can get 250, get movies and FSC is included, though GolTV isn't there anymore. So when I moved, I ended up spending a few bucks less and getting more channels and I could watch two different channels on two tvs, with one receiver! And since Setanta is gone, I would of had no reason to want to stay with Directv. I've had much better luck with the Dish Network DVR than Directv DVR as well. There would be some bugs that would appear out of no where on recordings just messing up. I'm sure if you have multiple receivers, it can get expensive, but I don't need to do that, so I do very well with Dish.

The HD channel count is going to see-saw back and forth and there will undoubtedly be a couple channels here or there that are exclusive to one provider or another. Every time there a rate change at Dish I look at my options to see if anything's changed.

What it usually boils down to is the up-front costs to make a change. DirecTV and the local cable company (Time Warner) both have really high startup costs. I only have 2 Dish DVR receivers, and both are connected to single TVs. DirecTV wants too much for receivers and I honestly don't like them. I know each side has pluses and minuses, but the Dish DVR is my comfort zone. If I went with cable there is no way I'd use their DVRs because they're absolutely horrible. In that case I'd be doing a pair of TivoHD boxes with cable cards. Also expensive.

So I'll sit tight and see how things shake out. I have to say that as much as I'd miss a whole lot of what we're watching now on satellite, the closer I get to retirement, the more cost-cutting we're doing and I think we could really survive on OTA alone if it meant saving $100 a month. TV is just getting too damned expensive.

For me I would stick with Direct, even if it was $6 more, because Dish does offer the most important thing for which I use my TV, Extra Innings.

As far as more HD, that probably will not be the case within 2 months. Also, I would probably watch only one or two of those HD channels available on Dish that are not available on Direct. The difference in HD is not even that big of a deal too me right now.

Dodger, Dish offers you the most important thing

:D:D...I see a little Typo, Just joking with you!

This has been posted hundreds of times. It says nothing about channels, it specifically talks about the number of programs. Most of these movies will be available via VOD download. They are not going to add very many, if any at all PPV channels. They ARE going to add a lot of national HD channels, already confirmed by Stonecold, Satracer, and many others. Think about it, if those 400 movies were dedicated to live PPV via PPV channels, they wouldn't even have enough bandwidth for those channels alone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)