dish is ticking me off....

jonathag

Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
I signed up with Dish in 9-05, my monthly bill was 32 bucks and some change. I just had dvr installed 2 days ago. I was told by the local company that installed it that the only extra charges were going to be 5.98 month for the dvr, along with the $3 extra from the rate increase of Amer Top 60 on 2-1, so 9 bucks extra a month, I was ok with that. Now Dish is telling me that besides those charges there is now a $5 month leasing fee for the receiver. It's not that I can't afford the extra 5 bucks a month, but now I'm paying almost what I paid for cable. My local company told me that I could get a couple of referal cards and he would send them in for me to get $10 off my bill for 10 months, which sounds great, he felt bad for telling me there was no $5 month leasing fee.

Anybody else ticked off about this leasing fee??????? And.....wasn't there some type of guarantee on the pricing when I signed up that protected me against the $3 increase for the Amer Top 60??

As a rule of thumb, most CSR's forget small details like extra feels. I would got to Dish's home page and read the fine prints, before getting any work done on your account.

So is there a $5 charge for a lease fee plus $5 for a 2 Tuner DVR fee? I was under the impression that E* did away with a "lease fee" and just rolled everything into the $5 DVR fee.

There is a lease charge. A DVR charge. An additional reciever charge, dual tuner recievers don't get charged two DVR charges. They must be connected to a phone line, however.

The DVR charge is waived if you have an "everything package".

Yeah, the key is having it plugged into a phone line. As long as it is plugged in you will not have that additional charge.

I haven't been billed the $5 lease fee until now. Dish told me that for every new customer there is now a $5 month lease fee for leasing the receiver. They are so frustrating, every time you call you get a different story, and a few extra dollars added here and there.

jonathag said:
My receiver IS plugged into a phone line, so I should not have to pay the $5 lease fee??
No, you will still be paying the lease fee. THe fee you are not charged if you have a phone line plugged into the DVR is an additional tuner fee(since they are 2 tuners).

In total, this is what you bill should be:

AT60 $35.99
DVR fee $5.98
Lease fee $5.00

If you own your recievers, there is no lease fee.

The AT60 price of $35.99 is guaranteed for 18 months.

The lease fee is nothing new. Dish always has charged a fee for each receiver beyond the first (even for owned receivers). If you had replaced your receiver instead of adding an additional one, you wouldn't be charged a lease fee.

On top of any lease fees, there is a DVR fee for all DVR receivers except 501/508 (and maybe 510, can't remember). When those receivers were released, DISH wasn't shy about advertising what a great advantage they were over TIVO since they didn't have a monthly fee. They apparently would rather have the cash now.

But your local company should have known.

I am sending in my receiver I was using though, so I still only have the one receiver. Dish is sending me a box to send the old receiver back in, so I should not have a lease fee, correct?

Jonathog... how many recievers did you have before you upgraded to the DVR? and what type of DVR is it? 510, 522, 625? If you have the dual tuner you will be paying the DVR fee plus the additional outlet fee if it is not connected to a working phone line. The $5.00 l;ease fee is included with the first reciever.

RobertsD said:
No, you will still be paying the lease fee. THe fee you are not charged if you have a phone line plugged into the DVR is an additional tuner fee(since they are 2 tuners).

In total, this is what you bill should be:

AT60 $35.99
DVR fee $5.98
Lease fee $5.00

If you own your recievers, there is no lease fee.

The AT60 price of $35.99 is guaranteed for 18 months.

AT60 is $34.99 not $35.99 and the lease fee should only apply to additional receivers. You would be charged an additional outlet fee for the second tuner of the dual tuner receivers if your phoneline is not plugged in and dialing into them properly. The DVR fee applies for each DVR that you have.

Dave nye said:
Yes there is no lease fee on the first riceiver, that is included in the rate. Only extra you should have is on the DVR fee.

Not true, or I got a dain bramaged CSR. Punjab insisted that for me to upgrade my 811 (my only receiver) to a 211 and get the new HD packages, my costs would be as follows: $49 onetime installation/upgrade fee + $54.99 (BronzeHD + locals) monthly + $6.00 lease fee monthly.

When I almost went back to E* there was no mention of a lease fee in the small print on their website for one DVR box. Perhaps there is a fee on the HD box or they may have changed things or a different plan for new rentals.

Roger said:
When I almost went back to E* there was no mention of a lease fee in the small print on their website for one DVR box. Perhaps there is a fee on the HD box or they may have changed things or a different plan for new rentals.
There is apparently a lease fee for the new recievers(211,411,622) whether it is your only reciever or not.

This is not how it was with the older recievers.

Well I have been a dish network installer for over three years. One thing I have become to hate about there RULES and FINE PRINT is the way they treat there old customers that have been with them for years is they make the old customer's pay all of these lease fees and the new customer's get all of it for FREE and no lease fee's. I think they need to pay more attention to there old customer's more because I have seen them lose several to this matter. Who know's how long the new customer will stay in good standing's but look at this customer who has been there for year's without a late payment. They have to remember they are NOT the only Satellite company out there!!!

Last edited:
From what I read elsewhere , Directv is going to charge up to $499.99 for their lease deal for their hd dvr receiver. Makes Dish's offer look damn good. I think satellite companies in general are going to gouge the hd customers now just like they did when satellite companies first started.

I know that I paid up to $450.00 for up to a years programming for like the top programming I think it was, for a standard 2 room Dishnetwork receiver install back in 1997. It is like 1997 all over again for hd customers.

I have already paid $1000.00 for a 921 p.o.s. and $700.00 twice for the two 942s I bought just Last YEAR. So what is another $99.00 in April? It is either that or pay up to $15.00 a month for a digital hd dvr that is basically a digital vcr without name based recording with Cable. Sadly , Dish is still the better offer compared to the competition.