Dish Issues

combsisthebest

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
We recently had a really large storm pass through here, and my satellite got knocked way out of wack by the wind (I mean the dish is normally upright, and now it is leaning as if it will fall off the roof). We called Dish Network and they said the earliest they could come is Tuesday and that the charge will be $30. However, I'm beginning to think that we shouldn't be charged because I believe it could possibly be the installers fault (the dish was installed in August). I say this because every other dish in the area that I have seen (and areas that were hit worse) still have their dishes mounted on the roof as if nothing happened. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I could possibly do to prove that it could be a faulty install, would they still charge if it was a bad install? I am not an expert in this area, so I really have no clue. Thanks. :)

Well it is possibly a bad install but it's hard to prove after a large storm like that. Your best bet is to take some pictures of how your satellite dish is now and some pictures (with their permission) of nearby locations with dishes mounted in similar locations. It could also be that the installer did not have a place to solidly mount on your roof but without seeing it that's hard to say. Did you have the install done by a local retailer or by a DNS/RSP tech?

The install was done by someone that DISH Network sent out. In fact it was the second time the guy came back. He had to come from out of the area and the first time he forgot the correct equipment.
Here's a pic of how my dish looks. Maybe someone can help explain what to do so I won't have to pay someone to come out?

EDIT: I apologize for the quality of the picture.

Attachments

• IM000857.JPG
    IM000857.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Here are a couple of more pictures.

Attachments

• IM000858.JPG
    IM000858.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IM000859.JPG
    IM000859.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 125
Just get a ladder and "push" the dish back into the correct positionand then tighten the bolts. Most likely you will be able to see marks where the bolts were originally at before it moved.

It looks as tho the base of the dish is still attached to the house. If it is and you fill up to it all you need to do by the looks of the picture is to just raise the mast back to plumb. Have your wife keep an eye on the signal strenght meter as you raise the tmast cabk up to plumb. Then when you peak the signal tighten thebolts. I think that's the part that the installer forgot to do. Where are ya located??

Problem resolved. We are pulling in about an 85-87 signal strength. Thanks everyone, and thanks for saving me $30!

combsisthebest said:
Problem resolved. We are pulling in about an 85-87 signal strength. Thanks everyone, and thanks for saving me $30!
Signal strength is not valid without knowing the transponder numbers.

Check 11 & 12 on both birds. You can probably do better.

Sorry I didn't know about posting transponder number, etc. I'm fairly new to this. I get what you mean now, though. Well I tried other transponders, but once I put it on a certain transponder the box goes back to transponder 04 (w/119) and transponder 15 (w/110).

As soon as you leave the point dish menu, the receiver will generally return to the satellite and transponder of the last channel tuned.