DISH just lost a 20 year customer.....

T34ME

Original poster
Nov 23, 2008
Youngsville, NC
over $6.01. About a month ago, my Vip211 crapped out, and after posting about it here, I was able to secure a replacement Vip211k from Crodrules. While activating the 211k, the Dish employee inadvertently deactivated my 722. So, I had to engage another chat to get that unit re-activated. No harm, no foul right? WRONG!!! Apparently, since the 722 became de-activated and later re-activated, my Loyal Customer DVR discount was no longer "Grandfathered". Really??, Give me a break. So they tell me that that offer is no longer available (seems funny, it was available and working just fine on August 7th), and my new bill had increased by 17.94 per month. Over a DISH employee mistake. So they tell me that in place of that they can offer me a different discount that will actually save me $2.16 per month from what I was paying. (Again, Really??, why aren't we all already getting that discount?) So after much argument and escalation to a supervisor, I agreed to the replacement discount, and suggested that they back date it to August 8th, to offset the mistake. "I'm sorry, we can't do that." So I say I'll tell you what, I'll pay the same amount I paid last month ad you guys can adjust the billing however you want and we'll start the new offer with the next billing. "I'm sorry, but if you don't pay the whole amount due, it will result in late fees".

I tell them that after 20 years, if they can't resolve this issue, they will lose me as a customer, and that I wouldn't want to be the CSR that lost Charlie a 20 year customer over $6.01. Thanks for letting me vent! Crodrules, thanks for the 211k, it's great; I wish I would have been able to enjoy it longer. If anyone is interested is a DPP dish, a 722, and a 211k, it will all be available by November. Too bad too, I liked my Dish service, but I'm tired of the nickel and diming their way to increased billing. Some people just can't continue to afford it.

Holy crap! My name is tied to a rant, and this time I'm not even the one doing the ranting. :eeek :D :sorry

In all seriousness, I truly am sorry that you had to go through that experience, T34ME. Believe me, I would be very ticked if something like that had happened to me. Unfortunately, Dish's receiver authorization system often temporarily deauthorizes any existing receivers on the account while you are adding the new receiver. I just saw this happen last night, when I activated my Hopper Duo. I was watching TV on my ViP222k, and as soon as the Hopper Duo was activated, a Programming Not Authorized message popped up on my ViP222k briefly, before programming returned. Even going directly through Dish's website (which is what I did last night) without chatting or talking with a Dish agent can cause this to happen. I have even had this issue interrupt recordings on a DVR, since the DVR was temporarily deauthorized while I was adding a non-DVR receiver to the account. So, I understand how frustrating this issue can be. It is very unfortunate in your case that this resulted in a change to your billing, due to the loss of the grandfathering.

So, I am assuming that you lost the grandfathered $7 per month DVR fee, which caused your DVR fee to increase to $15 per month. Is that correct? Did Dish offer to replace your 722 with a Hopper Duo? The Hopper Duo would only have a $10 per month DVR fee. This would not quite bring you back down to what you were paying before, but if Dish already offered you some other kind of monthly discount on top of that, then you may come close to paying the same amount, or even slightly less per month. If Dish does the upgrade to the Hopper Duo, then they will likely want to lock you into a two-year contract. If you would like to avoid that contract, then you could purchase a Hopper Duo instead. I have one for sale that I listed in the Classifieds section on this site. If you would like to stay with Dish, and are interested in my Hopper Duo, then please reply to our existing private conversation, or feel free to start a new conversation with me. Thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: dishdude
Holy crap! My name is tied to a rant, and this time I'm not even the one doing the ranting. :eeek :D :sorry

In all seriousness, I truly am sorry that you had to go through that experience, T34ME. Believe me, I would be very ticked if something like that had happened to me. Unfortunately, Dish's receiver authorization system often temporarily deauthorizes any existing receivers on the account while you are adding the new receiver. I just saw this happen last night, when I activated my Hopper Duo. I was watching TV on my ViP222k, and as soon as the Hopper Duo was activated, a Programming Not Authorized message popped up on my ViP222k briefly, before programming returned. Even going directly through Dish's website (which is what I did last night) without chatting or talking with a Dish agent can cause this to happen. I have even had this issue interrupt recordings on a DVR, since the DVR was temporarily deauthorized while I was adding a non-DVR receiver to the account. So, I understand how frustrating this issue can be. It is very unfortunate in your case that this resulted in a change to your billing, due to the loss of the grandfathering.

So, I am assuming that you lost the grandfathered $7 per month DVR fee, which caused your DVR fee to increase to $15 per month. Is that correct? Did Dish offer to replace your 722 with a Hopper Duo? The Hopper Duo would only have a $10 per month DVR fee. This would not quite bring you back down to what you were paying before, but if Dish already offered you some other kind of monthly discount on top of that, then you may come close to paying the same amount, or even slightly less per month. If Dish does the upgrade to the Hopper Duo, then they will likely want to lock you into a two-year contract. If you would like to avoid that contract, then you could purchase a Hopper Duo instead. I have one for sale that I listed in the Classifieds section on this site. If you would like to stay with Dish, and are interested in my Hopper Duo, then please reply to our existing private conversation, or feel free to start a new conversation with me. Thanks.

How are you activating or deactivating receivers through the Dish site? If I go to my equipment I can see active and inactive receivers, but no option to change their activation status.

As far as rants go, I'll give you a 7 out of 10. Had to dock you a bit for the clumsy dismount, but overall good job.
So people should only post when they're satisfied w/Dish Customer Service? I thought it was actually a very valid rant and just another example of Dish cutting off their nose to spite their face. While it doesn't surprise me a front line CSR can't set things right, it shouldn't take a brain surgeon at Dish to say "we screwed up, you shouldn't have to pay more."

• Love
Reactions: pattykay
So people should only post when they're satisfied w/Dish Customer Service? ...
If so, then this forum would quickly become a boring, vacant ghost town. ;)

... I thought it was actually a very valid rant and just another example of Dish cutting off their nose to spite their face. While it doesn't surprise me a front line CSR can't set things right, it shouldn't take a brain surgeon at Dish to say "we screwed up, you shouldn't have to pay more."
Dish's new slogan: "We do satellite TV and brain surgery, and we do it well." :oldlaugh
("Rocket scientist" may have been the more appropriate metaphor.) ;)

So people should only post when they're satisfied w/Dish Customer Service? I thought it was actually a very valid rant and just another example of Dish cutting off their nose to spite their face. While it doesn't surprise me a front line CSR can't set things right, it shouldn't take a brain surgeon at Dish to say "we screwed up, you shouldn't have to pay more."

Where exactly in my post did you interpret that? Heck, I gave him a 7 out of 10. That's about as high as I'll go for a mere mortal. I think his complaint was very much valid. I just think to rate anything above an 8, you've got to really move me.

And quite probably, the billing system, while flawed, worked as designed by removing the grandfathered discount with the 722 and as designed, is truly unable to just add it back. However, for all that and after 20 years, I would think they could have offered something like a new customer pricing for a 2 yr agreement, which I only imagine would have been a possibility, since the OP already had 20 years as a customer

I have been with dish for 20 years and they have always been fair . I understand the principle of you being upset but sometimes believe it or not it’s really not there fault. It was a accident that the one receiver was removed and you lost your grandfathered price. I am sure that the discount you could have received for the next year or two would have definitely made up for it . So you’re one bill went up a little the next 12 to 24 bills would have made up for it . Hopefully your next tv provider doesn’t make a mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: charlesrshell
And quite probably, the billing system, while flawed, worked as designed by removing the grandfathered discount with the 722 and as designed, is truly unable to just add it back. However, for all that and after 20 years, I would think they could have offered something like a new customer pricing for a 2 yr agreement, which I only imagine would have been a possibility, since the OP already had 20 years as a customer
My thoughts exactly. I even commented recently in one of the Equipment Fees threads about grandfathered customers being afraid to make any changes to the equipment on their account, for precisely this reason. I still like the proposed solution that I offered the OP: switch to a Hopper Duo to bring the DVR fee back down, while accepting whatever discount Dish is willing to offer on top of that. Combined, this should bring the bill back down below whatever amount it was originally. That is just my nature. When my bill goes up, I look for ways to lower the equipment fees and/or drop programming to get back down to the amount that I am willing to pay for service. When it gets to the point that I have absolutely no service left worth keeping, then I will drop the service completely, but not before then.

I agree that Dish's billing system software most likely will not allow the customer service agent to add the loyal customer discount back, however, the mistake was made by Dish customer service, so Dish is responsible for the issue (and should correct it). OK, they can't add back the loyal customer discount, but why can't Dish give him some other discount or promotion to make things right. T34ME is right, 'd be pissed off too!

T34ME, have you tried to call the Dish Loyalty/Retention department to see if there is something they can do? They have helped me out a lot and can do more than a regular customer service agent.

I agree that Dish's billing system software most likely will not allow the customer service agent to add the loyal customer discount back, however, the mistake was made by Dish customer service, so Dish is responsible for the issue (and should correct it). OK, they can't add back the loyal customer discount, but why can't Dish give him some other discount or promotion to make things right. T34ME is right, 'd be pissed off too!

T34ME, have you tried to call the Dish Loyalty/Retention department to see if there is something they can do? They have helped me out a lot and can do more than a regular customer service agent.
I have not tried hat as an option, thanks for the advice.

crodrules solution is a whole lot easier and could save everyone lots of aggravation. A better box and close to the same price.

Reactions: pattykay
I have not tried hat as an option, thanks for the advice.
Conveniently enough, the Loyalty Department phone number is available in the same thread as the list of equipment fees. Someone should really make that thread a sticky. ;)

• Love
Reactions: tanman and HipKat
I'm mulling over that idea as well. But I don't want the equipment outlay to be more than my monthly billing savings, kinda defeats the original issue.
I have an idea. I like playing around with deactivated receivers, especially ViP's. You have already said that you would be looking to sell your 722 if you cancel service. I would be willing to do a straight swap: I'll send you my unused Hopper Duo, and you can send me your old 722. Let me know in a private conversation if that solution works for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts