Dish Latino, GolTV, and SAP (second audio)

FeitNite

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Any DishLatino subscribers out there have any luck trying to switch the audio on GolTV into English?

I watch GolTV on channel 853, which defaults to Spanish. According to Dish:

"Description: Audio will default to Spanish. Changing the Alternate audio on this channel will change the language to English."

I've tried exactly that and it's always in Spanish. While I like the Spanish announcer, they can get a bit, uh, overexcited at times (i.e. GOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL!!!!) and sometimes I'd rather hear it in English. Any ideas?

I cannot watch GolTV through channel 407 (which defaults to English), only 853. Switching to an English package (e.g. America's top 180) is not an option.

Thanks for the replies

I'll call Dish because their website must be wrong-- it says that on channel 853 you can switch it to English by selecting 'second audio'. Interestingly it says the same thing, vice versa, regarding channel 407. I doubt that works either.

Description: Audio will default to English. Changing the Alternate audio on this channel will change the language to Spanish.

Okay, here is what happened. GolTV was originally launched on Dish Latino and the regular audio on this channel is in Spanish. So there was no problem. When Gol TV introduced the second audio channel on Dish, the brain surgeons at Dish put it on the English track on the "spanish" second audio track on the Dish Latino channel (853). The problem is that many people with Dish Latino have their SAP already set to spanish for channels like Toon Disney, Cartoon Channel, Boomerang and all but a couple of movie channels. Essentially what Dish had done was make absolutely everyone have to go to the alternate audio and change the setting whenever they selected this channel.

At the same time Dish launched GOL TV in the AT180 package on channel 407 with the English track as the only one available on that channel. After a short time, and what I am sure were a ton of phone calls complaining about this, Dish changed settings on both channels.

Channel 853 is only in its native Spanish. There is no alternate audio track available.
Channel 407 defaults to the English sound track with the Spanish audio available if the "Spanish" alternate audio track is selected.

All this confusion could have been avoided had the sound track choices have "main" as the default choice and add "English" as an alternate option on all the menus. Currently the Englih sound track on TV Japan is under the "japanese" alternate audio track!

For other alternate sound tracks see HERE

See ya
Tony

Last edited:
TNGTony said:
Okay, here is what happened. GolTV was originally launched on Dish Latino and the regular audio on this channel is in Spanish. So there was no problem. When Gol TV introduced the second audio channel on Dish, the brain surgeons at Dish put it on the English track on the "spanish" second audio track on the Dish Latino channel (853). The problem is that many people with Dish Latino have their SAP already set to spanish for channels like Toon Disney, Cartoon Channel, Boomerang and all but a couple of movie channels. Essentially what Dish had done was make absolutely everyone have to go to the alternate audio and change the setting whenever they selected this channel.

At the same time Dish launched GOL TV in the AT180 package on channel 407 with the English track as the only one available on that channel. After a short time, and what I am sure were a ton of phone calls complaining about this, Dish changed settings on both channels.

Channel 853 is only in its native Spanish. There is no alternate audio track available.
Channel 407 defaults to the English sound track with the Spanish audio available if the "Spanish" alternate audio track is selected.

All this confusion could have been avoided had the sound track choices have "main" as the default choice and add "English" as an alternate option on all the menus. Currently the Englih sound track on TV Japan is under the "japanese" alternate audio track!

For other alternate sound tracks see HERE

See ya
Tony

Wait so if I pick "Spanish" for alternate audio on HBO Latino will I actually get it for the regular Spanish programs they air or not? Otherwise, with the exception of the music videos, I wish Dish would drop that POS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)