Dish Leader In Hdtv Channels

Tvlman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
Surf City.CA
At last count I got 29 HDTV channels on DISH including OTA and also NFL HD and NBA HD which don't appear to be currently active . But that has to be way ahead of Cable and DirecTV doesn't it? If this is so why doesn't DISH advertise MORE HD CHANNELS THAN OTHER SERVICES?

jeffdan said:
do you guys have these hd channels right now. and on what sat. could you list them?

They're including OTA using an antenna. The only HD get over the satellite from Dish is the Voom 10-pack, DHD, TNT, ESPNHD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, HBO, and Showtime. That is 17, plus the NBA/NFL mentioned below and CBS if you qualify. OTA (in HD) I get NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, PBS (both NC and SC), and WB, plus some other SD locals.

Check the uplink thread, which hints that the rest of the Voom 21 and ESPN2 may be coming along soon, though no one has posted when exactly.

Look at: http://ekb.dbstalk.com/dishlist.htm for the current offerings.

CDH.

And if you are as creative counting DirecTV HD channels you can easily beat that. NY/LA/Detroit ABC/CBS/Fox/NBC HD, HBO-HD, Showtime-HD, ESPNHD, ESPN2HD, UHD, Discovery HD Theater, HD Net Movies, HDNet, NFL Network HD, OLN HD, HD PPV, YES HD, and 11 channels FSN HD. And then your local ABC/CBS/Fox/NBC/PBS/UPN/WB HD. By these calculations DirecTV is obviously the HD leader.

I'm just pointing out how absurd the original standard presented was. I even forgot Sunday Ticket HD. Dish is the leader in general interest HD and DirecTV is the leader in sports and network HD.

D* currently sucks hind tit in HD offerings. They seem to stay there sucking with others leading the way. Voom (RIP) , Dish, Cable. Is there any system that offers less HD and at lower quality than D* and to add insult to injury makes you buy the equipment and sign contracts???

vurbano, yes there is a two-year commitments. But, the basic HD receivers are free ($199 - $200 rebate). A lease option for HD DVRs like Dish has would be nice.

GeorgeLV said:
vurbano, yes there is a two-year commitments. But, the basic HD receivers are free ($199 - $200 rebate). A lease option for HD DVRs like Dish has would be nice.

And that's the reason I'm with E* and not D*, when I was shopping around I would have picked D* but they wanted too much money up front. To me even with a rebate there isn't anything free. I'm glad I went with E*, I'm happy with the HD I have now and from the look of things will be happy in the future.

OK, here is my count. I'm not counting what I COULD get if I lived all across the country like the DirecTV guy. Just what I get here in LA.

1. CBSHD NETWORK*
2. HDNEWS*
3. MONSTERS*
4. MAJESTIC*
5. GUY TV*
6. ULTRA*
7. RUSH*
8. ANIMA*
9. GALLERY*
10. EQUATOR*
11. RAVE*
12. HDPPV*
13.NBAHD*
14.HDEV1*
15.NFLHD*
16.HBOHD*
17.SHOHD*
18.HDTV2 (DEMO CHANNEL)*
19. ESPNHD*
20.HDNET MOVIES*
21. DISCOVERY HD*
22. TNTHD*
23. PBS HD (LOCAL)
24. KTTV HD FOX (LOCAL)
25. ABC HD (LOCAL) CH 7
26. NBC HD (LOCAL) CH 4
27. UPN HD (LOCAL) CH 13
28. WARNER BROS HD (LOCAL) CH 5
29. CBS HD (LOCAL ) CH2 (DUPLICATES CBSHD NETWORK)

Looks like 23 national sat channels and 29 totalwith OTA.

How can you count OTA toward dishes count? You dont need any service to pick those up and they can also be counted toward any other service like direct or cable.

Sean Mota said:
Stick to National Channels.... Local or Regional Channels do not count.

Sean: With all due respect - my HD locals would count with me (big time!)

C'mon Charlie get my HD locals fired up!

--Doug

PARADOX-SJ:"How can you count the Demo Channel.....Talk abou a waste of bandwidth....Love that fish tank....LOL"

Like this....one, two, three.

My 2 year old grandkids love it. We actually have a fish ID card and can ID the various kinds of fish. Would love to see a bird channel. a fire place channel, a snow channel, etc. Variety of channels just like a variety of opinions and lifestyles makes the world go round.

GeorgeLV said:

Well Ive never actually recieved a check (rebate) from D* but I have recieved credits to my account. I know the numbers work out to be free but you still have to lay out the cash first. And the "free" recievers are a new thing for D*. When D* starts renting the HD DVR's then they will have finally come to their senses and joind the cable companies and Dish. I guess its kinda weird for me to be a D* sub but I got sucked in and had an investment as many do. Thats the way they get you. I still hold out this ridiculous hope that someday all of the HDlite Im archiving off of D* will actually be HD:rolleyes:

Tvlman said:
OK, here is my count. I'm not counting what I COULD get if I lived all across the country like the DirecTV guy. Just what I get here in LA.
23. PBS HD (LOCAL)
24. KTTV HD FOX (LOCAL)
25. ABC HD (LOCAL) CH 7
26. NBC HD (LOCAL) CH 4
27. UPN HD (LOCAL) CH 13
28. WARNER BROS HD (LOCAL) CH 5
29. CBS HD (LOCAL ) CH2 (DUPLICATES CBSHD NETWORK)
Looks like 23 national sat channels and 29 totalwith OTA.
Since when does LA Channel 13 (UPN) broadcast in HD? I have not been able to get anything from them in HD ... all others, I agree! :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts