Dish Legacy LNB's

VinceT3

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Rainsalot Florida
I currently have dp34 and I'm changing from dishpro lnbs to legacy.. I'm guessing nothing exists out there to convert legacy output to dishpro.. shouldn't be that difficult should it? Should be as simple as adding a switch before the DP34 or DP44?

I was going to try having the SW21 or a 22K before the DP34 but after reading up on what dishpro does, I doubt that'll work.. I must admit it's quite an annoying feature.. I'm tempted to buy a dishpro LNB and disect it just to rebuild that silly requirement as a seperate component..

I don't think you have any idea what you are doing!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can't mix DP and Legacy switches & LNBs. No you cannot use Legacy LNB with DPP44 or DP34 switches.

i'm not exactly sure what you are trying to do, but i dont think you understand the differences in legacy and dish pro equipment.
you can't mix and match pieces together.
you either need to go all dp lnb's and switches, or all legacy.
if you are sure you want to go all legacy, you need to find a SW64 to replace your DP34

Wow, nice attitude there Boba.. If you actually read more thant he first line of my question you would know I understand that..

Basically I'm attempting to trim my dish farm down to 1 toroidal.

I'm stuck using legacy lnbs because a Toroidal dish, which has only has legacy lnbs, can't use dish lnbs because they (toroidal) implements a reflector that reverses the signal on circular lnbs. Anyway the reversed lnb doesn't support dishpro, hence my dilema.

I'm ordered a a SW64 switch before I even asked the question, but I was hoping there was a method of getting the darn legacy lnbs to support the DishPro switched which would make my life so much easier since I already have everything I need for dish to work with DishPro.

Wow, nice attitude there Boba.. If you actually read more thant he first line of my question you would know I understand that..

Basically I'm attempting to trim my dish farm down to 1 toroidal.

I'm stuck using legacy lnbs because a Toroidal dish, which has only has legacy lnbs, can't use dish lnbs because they (toroidal) implements a reflector that reverses the signal on circular lnbs. Anyway the reversed lnb doesn't support dishpro, hence my dilema.

I'm ordered a a SW64 switch before I even asked the question, but I was hoping there was a method of getting the darn legacy lnbs to support the DishPro switched which would make my life so much easier since I already have everything I need for dish to work with DishPro.

Your logic makes no sense.

I think this is simple mis-communication, but it sounds like you are saying a toroidal dish affects the circular polarity, changing from left hand to right hand. If that were the case, then it makes no difference if you use legacy or DP. They both receive the signal the same. The only difference is what they do with the signal after it is received. If DP LNBS will not work, then legacy will not work, but since they sell these dishes for use with DBS satellites, they must work.

However,
If you are using a DP Twin, that would cause problems because the signals from 119 and 110 would be driven to the wrong feed horns on LNB. You need to use a single DP LNB, one for each satellite.

I think you are confusing polarity with satellite signal directioning.
There must be a more proper word then directioning (is that even a word?), but I cannot think of one now. Does anybody know the proper term to describe the cross over affect that takes place on a multi-sat dish? Maybe after some coffee, I will remember.

Anyway, you cannot use a single LNB designed to receive two satellites (twins or quads) on a toroidal dish, you must use single LNB's. Single DP LNBS are used for 61.5, 148, and 129 when using a DP switch.

I think this is simple mis-communication, but it sounds like you are saying a toroidal dish affects the circular polarity, changing from left hand to right hand. If that were the case, then it makes no difference if you use legacy or DP. They both receive the signal the same. The only difference is what they do with the signal after it is received. If DP LNBS will not work, then legacy will not work, but since they sell these dishes for use with DBS satellites, they must work.
obviously you people do not know how Toroidal works. You HAVE TO use a reverse polarity LNB when dealing with circular LNB's on a Toroidal. I know because I have one too. Linear works fine but circular will not

If you hook up a regular DBS LNB the polarity is bass ackwards. Been there tried that won't work.

you either have to use a SW64 in your case or have a separate dish for the DishPro stuff

I have never used a Toroidal dish for DSS, but it is easy to see how the polarity changes. I was thrown off by the fact that the poster said he was using legacy LNBs, which will not work either. Considering the cost of the dish and reverse polarity LNB's (never heard of one till today), plus the cost of the SW-64, why use a toroidial dish? We used this dish type many years ago with C-band, because we only had room for a single dish on an MDU installation. Unless you cannot have more than one dish, I wonder why?

In my case it allows me to combine my StarChoice subscription (107.3), Dish sub (110/119) and add about 8 KU LNB's for free to air :)

obviously you people do not know how Toroidal works.
Apparently not. A critical detail that some of us needed to know, but didn't... A toroidal antenna has a 2nd reflector absent on regular dish antennas.

In my case it allows me to combine my StarChoice subscription (107.3), Dish sub (110/119) and add about 8 KU LNB's for free to air :)

How is the gain compared to a DISH 500?

We have to use two dishes for HD because the dish 1000 fails to provide enough signal for 129. We have to use a 24 inch dish for 129 and route a cable to the DPP LNB.
I can imagine a situation where we get a customer who cannot use two dishes for some reason. Would you say that your dish has the gain of a 24" dish.

The dish is 42x40" so it has the gain of a 36" dish :)
(that is needed to work with FTA where the dish needs to be 30" or greater)

I dont have a DBS for 129 (I get my HD locals OTA)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts