DISH loses local ABC affiliate in retransmission dispute

Is there a link to a website or thread that tracks how many local networks Dish has blacked out because of retransmission issues?

Both satcos have disputes. Even cablecos have disputes. Expect more in the future, as the big four expect their affiliates to squeeze more out of retransmission.

I expect there to be a major kerfuffle when it’s time to renew Sunday Ticket. AT&T does not seem to see a viable cost benefit in it. Unless you believe it attracts more customers. Hard to justify, in a time of declining customers. Dish is unlikely to pay anything near what will be asked. The NFL may be in for declining revenues.

And ESPN is getting squeezed by Disney. They must be profitable, and with their huge expenses, I doubt they can get revenues to match. There will be a lot more bloodletting there, IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: ncted and bobvick
I expect there to be a major kerfuffle when it’s time to renew Sunday Ticket. AT&T does not seem to see a viable cost benefit in it. Unless you believe it attracts more customers. Hard to justify, in a time of declining customers. Dish is unlikely to pay anything near what will be asked. The NFL may be in for declining revenues.

My intention is not to be political, but isn't this because of the whole national anthem thing?

My intention is not to be political, but isn't this because of the whole national anthem thing?

I do not know if that is a major contributor, perhaps some. Probably mainly changing consumer tastes. I do know that ratings are down some. Not sure if it is as bleak as some state. It sure is not the draw it was 15 or 20 years ago or even 10 for that matter. Probably some of it is just cyclical, like the stock market, you can’t expect ratings to go up and up forever.

I don't think the kneeling has any thing to do with it, or very little. It all has to do with the cost of service. DirecTv is now paying $1.5 billion, yes billion, a year for 8 years of transmission rights. The total cost over that 8 years is $12 billion. You need a ton of subscribers to make that worthwhile. It is obviously a loss leader but as navy has pointed out AT&T may not be willing to spend that kind of money to continue after that contract is finished.

Reactions: navychop

I've watched professional football my entire teenage and adult life since the 1960's until last year, and I don't plan on watching any games this year either. Without getting political the reason is what you stated, and I know a lot of other people who feel the same way and are doing the same thing.

I would be very surprised if Directv doesn't pick up the Sunday Ticket exclusive contract again. It is one clear competitive advantage they have. I know quite a few people who subscribe to Directv JUST for Sunday ticket; they are displaced Packers, Cowboys, Bears, 49ers, etc. fans. Plus just about every sports bar in the country carries Directv for Sunday ticket (we were just in a little sports bar in KC this weekend, and even though most people are Chiefs fans they had several TVs playing with other major games on via Sunday Ticket.

I've watched professional football my entire teenage and adult life since the 1960's until last year, and I don't plan on watching any games this year either. Without getting political the reason is what you stated, and I know a lot of other people who feel the same way and are doing the same thing.

Were you a Sunday Ticket subscriber?

I'm not a sports fan myself, but like Sean Hannity, I don't believe in boycotts myself. If I chose not to do business somewhere, it's not because I'm trying to make some sort of statement nor do I sign pledges to boycott, tell others not to do business with them, or make some sort of announcement. Hence, I just don't give them business; not boycott. I also don't tell others not to boycott either. But that's just me. If I actually watched sports on TV I'd probably choose to watch college football instead. And the only two businesses I'm really not giving any business at all to are Planet Fitness (because they really don't focus on the fitness part), and Three Square Market in Wisconsin if I run across a product that I happen to find out is distributed by them (because they are putting computer chips in employees). Hell, I still shop at Starbuck's and Target!

I think the NFLs ability to listen to its Players Assoc more than it’s fans is probably the leading factor in their decline. Signing contracts get higher, and players are still less happy, and fans are getting tired of the new rules and watching players tell them what to do or think. That is where they are losing the most money. NASCAR even went through this, and are stabilizing some, but can turn for the worse at any time.

It is going to be interesting in 2020 with the XFL 2.0 to see what impact the NFL May have. We will just have to sit back and wait.

Reactions: navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)