Dish Lost 21.8% Of Satellite Subs In Last 4 Years

Remember, in addition to large numbers of people unlikely to get true high speed Internet anytime soon, even considering LEO and MEO potential options, there is an inherent efficiency in sending one signal to millions of people at the same time, compared to sending millions of separate signals over the Internet. There ARE capacity constraints that many conveniently overlook.

What works for 5 million doesn’t work for 300 million.

I think this is still the case, but, with OTT providers making connection deals with ISPs to provide local CDN servers which handle multicast IP traffic, how much longer will the advantage continue to be cost effective given the capital cost of launching satellites vs. throwing a few thousand optimized servers across the US? Additionally, places like NY State are making sure every address has broadband access. It might be more efficient to do it via satellite broadcast, but it may not be the most cost-effective in the long run.

Reactions: salyavin
Dish openly discussing possible mergers, including one with DIRECTV if AT&T felt it was necessary to sell its satellite unit to win approval of its merger with Time Warner. (The federal government has rejected the AT&T-Time Warner merger. AT&T is now fighting in court to get the deal approved.)

“I think you can extract out that as the industry declines in the linear TV business, that there’s consolidation opportunities, where you are going to need to be more efficient,” Dish Chairman Charlie Ergen said yesterday during the earnings call.

[\QUOTE]

OH HELL NO!

I will personally go down to Capitol Hill, and talk to anyone who is willing to listen to me to put an end to this one if it was even a remote possibility.

AT&T can buy DISH, I have ZERO issues with that as long as they get rid of every senior officer at DISH and AT&T simply absorbs DISH like they do with every other merger.

On second thought I get great joy helping Dish customers improve their television experience flipping them to any other provider.

Another scenario is that Charlie gives AT&T all that bandwidth he is holding onto for exchange for part of Directv.

The whole upper management at Dish blows, they simply got to go.

Dish will never be allowed to buy DirecTV, nor could they afford to. If anything, Dish may be forced to purchase Sprint to combine their wireless properties.

The combined company would be called "Sprish".

Reactions: MikeD-C05
If Dish or any other provider that are losing subs that fast, what will is be in 5 years? 10 years? Some feel by that time, everyone will be streaming, so the number of satellite subs will be moving in streaming subs. So Dish will once again be adding more than they lose. The competition will be fierce though, as already there are a dozen companies that selling packages. Gone are the days with one cable provider, 2 satellite providers, etc. With streaming the possibilities are endless. Also subscribers will have so many choices. I live in rural Oregon and I get a speed of 60 via Spectrum No DSL, but Verizon has cel tower internet too. Like with me, I have a Roku and I have subbed to Warner Archive Streaming watching many old shows that I had not seen in years, like Dr. Kildare, The FBI, etc. A person can pick up a "channel" app like that and drop it without any additional charges, etc. So much is on Demand, so a DVR is not even needed. At this point a mix of Dish & Roku is great for me.

Satellite will still be here in five years, and may even grow again.

There are already complaints about no unified EPG across providers. Costs will increase. Content owners will try to limit who resells their product, preventing consolidation like satcos provide.

Satellite will still be here in five years, and may even grow again.

There are already complaints about no unified EPG across providers. Costs will increase.

I think this is what you would call my major hang up with streaming. I have tried the Roku, Firestick, and AppleTV. I have no complaints with the picture quality or anything I just do not like what it takes to change channels. None are friendly to a person that wants to flip back and forth to another channel during commercials. If you are watching ABC and want to change to HBO you have to leave the ABC app, start the HBO one. it is just a hassle. Unless my financial situation changes to the point I can not afford it I will pay an extra 30-40 a month for the convenience and ease of use in the hopper-joey system

I think this is what you would call my major hang up with streaming. I have tried the Roku, Firestick, and AppleTV. I have no complaints with the picture quality or anything I just do not like what it takes to change channels. None are friendly to a person that wants to flip back and forth to another channel during commercials. If you are watching ABC and want to change to HBO you have to leave the ABC app, start the HBO one. it is just a hassle. Unless my financial situation changes to the point I can not afford it I will pay an extra 30-40 a month for the convenience and ease of use in the hopper-joey system

Fair enough, but if you use the network apps, you will be correct. However, if you use the OTT provider app, there’s usually a way to go back and forth between live channels. At least Vue (fireTV), YTTV and DTV Now do. It’s just not as fast to load.

Reactions: salyavin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)