DISH Makes Money Despite Complaints.

article said:
According to 24/7 Wall Street , Dish's own subscribers are less then enamored with the company. The company was even named to MSN.com's 2013 Customer Service Hall of Shame due to its "aggressive sales tactics, confusing contracts, and unreasonable cancellation fees."
The cancellation fee isn't unreasonable, though one could argue the shipping fee to mail the receivers is unfair. Aggressive sales tactics? Isn't that independent contractors? I have never had Dish contact me to upsell services. When I had Directv, they would call every once in a while, but never Dish. Confusing contracts? They could explain it a little better that you are saving money at the beginning, not locking in a price for a package. Otherwise, what is confusing?

They don't often get things correct in my opinion, in this case they came closer.
"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Despite it earning the dislike of both the public and its employees, Dish provides a service the public wants at a price that's generally significantly lower than cable and a little lower than DirecTV in the first year of a contract, [/FONT]and much lower in ongoing years[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The beginning is spot on, as I have always found when doing comparisons even when posters claim their cable is less. (With very rare exceptions - even then it's with much less desirable equipment and/or missing channels I would certainly want)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The much lower than Direct in ongoing years is where I take issue. From reading their analysis they are basing that on Dish having a much lower ongoing priced package than Direct TV. While true, as much as I like Dish I also have to be fair, and most people are not going to get or stay with the lowest package. When you compare the other packages and fees and equipment cost, Dish is lower sometimes, but there are cases where Direct TV is a little lower. If you are asking where you can spend the least amount with some of the best equipment that would be DISH.[/FONT]

I think that telecommunications (phone, internet and tv) is the second most profitable business in the usa behind only the oil business. So sure Dish is making a lot. It would be nice if there were options. But for me channel for channel, box for box, Dish is still my lowest cost option.

I think that telecommunications (phone, internet and tv) is the second most profitable business in the usa behind only the oil business. So sure Dish is making a lot. It would be nice if there were options. But for me channel for channel, box for box, Dish is still my lowest cost option.

Is that just what you think or do you actually have facts that say they are that profitable.

Is that just what you think or do you actually have facts that say they are that profitable.

Actually I just tried to look it up after I posted. I read yahoo finance and google finance regularly and I'm fairly certain that is a true statement based on some article I read. If I find it, I'll post a link. I did look up dish income on yahoo and the top line show 14 billion in gross sales and 4 billion in gross profits for 2012.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=DISH+Income+Statement&annual

Dish reported in the quarter ending Dec. 31, 2013, that it had 11.2 million subscribers, an increase of 220,000 subscribers.
That article is not accurate. IIRC, Dish has around 14 million subs, and their 4th quarter numbers won't be available for awhile.

Actually I just tried to look it up after I posted. I read yahoo finance and google finance regularly and I'm fairly certain that is a true statement based on some article I read. If I find it, I'll post a link. I did look up dish income on yahoo and the top line show 14 billion in gross sales and 4 billion in gross profits for 2012.

I tried to post a link to the report but it said a moderator had to approve it. Do they have to approve links?

The finance report is in yahoo finance, look up dish network DISH is their nasdaq ticker name, then click on "income statement" its in the left column down near the bottom.

Aggressive sales tactics? Isn't that independent contractors? I have never had Dish contact me to upsell services.
Someone posted last week about being contacted by Dish, telling them they had to upgrade to a Hopper system because their 722 "wasn't compatible with new satellites". Everyone presumed it was a retailer but DIRT confirmed it was an internal Dish group that called.

" DISH has only 11.2 million subs as of Dec. of 2013??"

Boy if that number is correct they are in worse trouble than I thought. Last time I checked DISH was still hovering around 14 million subs like they have been for years.

*** Didn't see the same thing posted in earlier posts.

If customers think that Customer service is bad now at DISH , they should of had to put up with the Foreign csrs from India and the Philippines. Those were some hard people to understand. I hated talking to them back then. That was when I learned to use the chat feature.

And that was an anomaly it seems. We were asked to let it go because they were investigating internally...
The misinformation part, asking for credit card info, etc is (most likely) why it's being investigated. The DIRT rep confirmed that Dish does have internal groups that do up-selling.

If customers think that Customer service is bad now at DISH , they should of had to put up with the Foreign csrs from India and the Philippines. Those were some hard people to understand. I hated talking to them back then. That was when I learned to use the chat feature.
I think Dish should move the CSR to Jamaica, and then people will truly understand how hard it can be to talk to a person over the phone who is speaking perfectly fine English.

People are getting a lot of mileage out of that old 24/7 Wall Street report...

Dish makes its techs sell over priced items to customers when they visit, if they don't sell X amount (to most shops and techs) then they are dropped a pay scale to make up for it. Dish will get its money - ohh yes even if that includes ripping the tech off.

Dish makes its techs sell over priced items to customers when they visit, if they don't sell X amount (to most shops and techs) then they are dropped a pay scale to make up for it.

What a truly diseased idea. Ugh! It's like a reverse commission.

Dish/Cable are always going to be complained about. No one likes to see their bills go up year after year. The channels themselves escape blame since the consumer never sees their price increases.

Where is DIRT Hiding?

Oxygen No Longer in HD on DISH? (Never mind... my mistake!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts