Dish Marketing Boo Boo

oldengineer

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
May 14, 2011
Lower Macungie Township, PA
So E* announces the Blockbuster Movie Pass yesterday. I'm a D* Premier Pkg sub and I've been on the fence about switching to E* and this pushed me over. I call E* and sign up for the Everything pkg with the Platinum Pack and 2 HDDVRs. Paid $169.59 with a CC. Installation was to be today. I could have gotten it yesterday so I guess E* isn't very busy in my area.

Later on I read that the Movie Pass was starting on Oct 1 and would be free for a year to new subs. I called E* to check on my eligibility for that and they said no, only to new subs who subscribe between 1 Oct and 31 Jan, so I cancelled.

I think E* should have planned this a little more carefully. I've got a feeling that D* would have handled the situation differently. Rather than letting a potential customer walk they probably would have given a 90.00 credit to make up for the difference in the new sub savings and the 1 year free Movie Pass.

I may try again on Oct 1 but that's when my D* autopay happens so I'll probably wait till the end of Oct but by then D* may have added another HD channel or 2 and may have updated their GUI so I guess I'm climbing back on the fence again.

I'm sort of in the same boat; I was just installed on Sept 22nd, and, even though I have 3 months of blockbuster online for free, I feel that anyone installed within 30 days of Oct 1, should also be qualified for the one free year of service, that begins Oct 1st.
Hopefully, Dish realizes this potential marketing issue, and doesn't punish those of us who made the "mistake" of getting installed a week or so "early"

oldengineer said:
So E* announces the Blockbuster Movie Pass yesterday. I'm a D* Premier Pkg sub and I've been on the fence about switching to E* and this pushed me over. I call E* and sign up for the Everything pkg with the Platinum Pack and 2 HDDVRs. Paid $169.59 with a CC. Installation was to be today. I could have gotten it yesterday so I guess E* isn't very busy in my area.

Later on I read that the Movie Pass was starting on Oct 1 and would be free for a year to new subs. I called E* to check on my eligibility for that and they said no, only to new subs who subscribe between 1 Oct and 31 Jan, so I cancelled.

I think E* should have planned this a little more carefully. I've got a feeling that D* would have handled the situation differently. Rather than letting a potential customer walk they probably would have given a 90.00 credit to make up for the difference in the new sub savings and the 1 year free Movie Pass.

I may try again on Oct 1 but that's when my D* autopay happens so I'll probably wait till the end of Oct but by then D* may have added another HD channel or 2 and may have updated their GUI so I guess I'm climbing back on the fence again.

I have also been thinking about the move a bit want to see how all the promos looks on 10/1. In regards to directv I dont think we will see any new hd adds "soon" plus I have to review all aspects before I think about making a move as the folks here say we got to take a look at I the the whole service is a fit for you

The new HDGUI is sharp though, I like it!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys!!

No boo boo you just have to learn the rules to play the game,it's like that with all companies.

If you want D*'s updated guide then my suggestion for you is join D*'s Cutting Edge(CE)testers,they are beta testing it now.;)

Good Luck!.:)

I have to agree with the OP on this. Why not sign him up now, start the free platinum October 1st? In this case, not good planning for PR.....

Tampa8 said:
I have to agree with the OP on this. Why not sign him up now, start the free platinum October 1st? In this case, not good planning for PR.....

How can they sign him up for a plan that is not in their system yet? If this is what made him decide to join E* because of the BB deal then he would have known it was starting on October 1st.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Personally I think they should have waited until October 1st to announce it, but in the big scope of things their timing was perfect especially with all thats going on with Netflix / Quickster.

The reason why they announced yesterday was for the splash and also to get retailers ready (there are thousands of them) to just launch a new promo like this without getting dealers ready and being setup would have been a very bad thing.

The streaming aspect is already up on running, its just listed as Dish Platinum in the DVR menu, that menu will be update to Say Blockbuster Movie Pass.

Ok, I have the Everything Package with the HD Plat. pkg. I don't see anything like you described in the guide(just looked). I have 2-612's and 1-622. Does this mean I will have no access to this feature with this equipment? I feel a migraine starting to form from the thoughts of calling Dish service.
Personally I think they should have waited until October 1st to announce it, but in the big scope of things their timing was perfect especially with all thats going on with Netflix / Quickster.

The reason why they announced yesterday was for the splash and also to get retailers ready (there are thousands of them) to just launch a new promo like this without getting dealers ready and being setup would have been a very bad thing.

The streaming aspect is already up on running, its just listed as Dish Platinum in the DVR menu, that menu will be update to Say Blockbuster Movie Pass.

Ok, I have the Everything Package with the HD Plat. pkg. I don't see anything like you described in the guide(just looked). I have 2-612's and 1-622. Does this mean I will have no access to this feature with this equipment? I feel a migraine starting to form from the thoughts of calling Dish service.

It's under Dish On Demand

Menu - 9 - 3 I think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)